Puppy gurus For Hire

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Notorik

#21 Post by Notorik »

alienjeff wrote:For the sake of accuracy, Puppy originated in Australia, not New Zealand.

Don't let a bit of political infighting (or jousting) put you off.

Contrary to popular belief, Google is NOT your friend. Consider using Scroogle instead.
That almost sounds conciliatory. Do you still have that big screw in your head? I think I responded to an email from you once about Caitlyn M. I forgot what it was about but she is a demented sicko. I am really trying to be nice here.

alienjeff

#22 Post by alienjeff »

This screw?

[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

ICPUG

#23 Post by ICPUG »

Cougar

The point you raise has been raised before - a number of times.

Unfortunately - Puppy will never traverse that 3 feet to the gold. If you expect it to, you are in for a traumatic time.

Puppy is driven by developers. That may seem a daft statement - of course it has to be developed. However, Windows is driven by marketing, Ubuntu is driven by a man with a lot of money.

Another point is the developers must have fun - after all they work for nothing. If you don't like what you get, ask for your money back.

In case anybody doesn't realise it, this is my cynical humour - but these are the sort of responses I have seen time and again when a non-developer dares suggest a change that might benefit the wider world - but will not benefit developers or will lower their fun threshold.

Now, to developers documentation is boring. The result is the documentation/help file is sometimes less than is necessary for the outside world.

Program maintenance is also boring. Developers always want to do something new - not correct that hard to correct bug that they don't have a problem with - they just work round it. Constant newness also makes documentation harder. Puppy never keeps still long enough to write it down!

This is not to say the outside world and users in particular are all sweetness and light. They can sometimes go too far in their wants - especially when they want to try and mimic what Windows does or, in Puppy's case, want to bloat it beyond the 100MB limit.

I wish Puppy would traverse that 3 foot but I know it won't. I still use Puppy while the developers at least meet a good proportion of my needs and try and stay calm when they do something I consider detrimental to Puppy's wider acceptance!

cougar

Never say never

#24 Post by cougar »

ICPUG

Great reply!! Great!! You've hit the nail right on the head. This is exactly the problem. It is not a "technical" problem. It is a "social" problem. It could be very likened to a football game in which the backfield, with their specific set of skills, can ionly ncrementally move the ball forward just so far. Their is a point reached where they are running out of "time" or "downs", so they switch to a new strategy and use other players with different "skills".

The developers have only gotten us so far, now it's time to send in the "B" team.A team with a different set of skills and especially, motivations. These people see an "elephant" while others only see a "Puppy".

Enough of analogy. This thing has gargantuan potential and those driving all of this only see it as a play toy. Why not take a page right out of Gates play book. Puppy is already being given away like Gates gave away Windows 3.1 (initially). While the applications are free also, their is no reason someone couldn't write apps for Puppy and sell them, is there? And even if there is then still, there is another way.

All people really want is a computer that works. They don't give a damn "how" it works anymore than they're interested in the engineering behind their automobile. They just want to jump on the back of this Puppy and ride him from website to website, euphemistically speaking.

If Puppy is "difficult" to get answers and solutions to than great, use it!! I mean, if life gives you lemons make Margaritas. Why not take Puppy, in the raw, and combine it with the specific things people want in their "Puppy Package". Sure, the OS is free as is the apps, it's putting it together that will cost. Custom "packaging", that's the ticket.

Then take this thing public by inducing those "developers" who have a more "global" outlook and want to make the world a better place a part of this thing. They however must be in the back seat, as their mindset is that of the "A" team. A different mindset is needed now. One that can go deep, for the "touchdown"

Further, clients are going to need ongoing assistance. From time to time they're going to have problems, which they will gladly (or otherwise) pay for. Then there are going to be opportunities for ancillary sales, you know; website hosting & IP provider services specific to Puppy, educational materials, WINE tools to allow them to use other OS applications, printer ink and supplies. Hell, we might even be able to develop an entire line of computers specifically tailored to Puppy.

We could even induce Barry to do commercials for us. Run 'em on Inet radio and TV stations. Yea, turn him into the "Man of the Year" who with his little Puppy broke out all the "windows" at Microsoft.

Sorry, didn't mean to get carried away, I was just having so much fun. Well, I enjoyed it.

Cougar

alienjeff

#25 Post by alienjeff »

Metaphor overdose.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Sit Heel Speak

#26 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

@cougar: Thanks! I haven't laughed so hard in days...

cougar

Does anyone like this idea?

#27 Post by cougar »

Is their anyone who can see this. You've got a great and wonderful thing here that's going to die on the vine. Why not put it into the hands of those who will use it for a grander purpose than those who use it as, what seems to be a play toy.

We've heard from the negative side. Is there anyone who deal with this in a positive way. What about you Barry? You wanna see your work wither while the the Googles of this world essentially copy the basic idea of Puppy, I.E. simple and "open source".

Cougar

timmypaine

#28 Post by timmypaine »

Hello Cougar,
In this world 65% people loves puppies.So you are among those 65% people and even i love puppies.There are many things not to like in puppies and they are that they keep on barking whole day,they do shiting anywhere they feel etc.In this case i cant help you because it needs money and if you dont have it than i am helpless.sorry friend.Thank you.
bluetooth headset

jemimah

#29 Post by jemimah »

Cougar, maybe you should try some of the puplets. Everybody has their own ideas of what the "packaging" is supposed to be like. There are plenty of devs that care about the user experience and try hard to make their puplets easy to use. You're not stuck with the stock offering.