How about a .pet of Artha thesaurus / dictionary?

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
mikeslr

Artha works fine in dPup 482beta4

#21 Post by mikeslr »

Thank you sikpuppy for creating the Artha pet, and thank you mcewanw for bringing it to my attention.

Though still in beta, gposil's dpup482 is stable and may be the fastest puplet I've used. Abiword 2.80, its default wordprocessor, doesn't have a thesaurus. Intending to ask gposil about it, I accidentally clicked new topic, and mcewanw, replying, called Artha to my attention. As I indicated in my response to his reply, I'm reporting, after installation, that Artha runs fine under dpup.

A couple of questions, however. Sikpuppy's first message was

"You[b] may [/b] need to do this first:Click" {Emphasis mine} which when done opens to:
"Type about:config in the URL box.
Enter: general.useragent.extra.seamonkey in the filter box.
Double click on the entry.
Change the entry in the popup box to Firefox.
Have fun!"

As I mentioned, on my system Artha runs fine without it, i.e., opens, works, stays in memory, is called up with Alt-Ctl-w. I assume the instructions were to customize Seamonkey or Firefox. What are they supposed to do? and when are they needed? By not doing that, am I missing out on some functionality?

As mentioned, Artha stays resident in memory. Is there some way to turn it off, other than thru pprocess?

Thanks,

Mikeslr

sikpuppy

Re: Artha works fine in dPup 482beta4

#22 Post by sikpuppy »

mikeslr wrote:Thank you sikpuppy for creating the Artha pet, and thank you mcewanw for bringing it to my attention.

Though still in beta, gposil's dpup482 is stable and may be the fastest puplet I've used. Abiword 2.80, its default wordprocessor, doesn't have a thesaurus. Intending to ask gposil about it, I accidentally clicked new topic, and mcewanw, replying, called Artha to my attention. As I indicated in my response to his reply, I'm reporting, after installation, that Artha runs fine under dpup.

A couple of questions, however. Sikpuppy's first message was

"You[b] may [/b] need to do this first:Click" {Emphasis mine} which when done opens to:
"Type about:config in the URL box.
Enter: general.useragent.extra.seamonkey in the filter box.
Double click on the entry.
Change the entry in the popup box to Firefox.
Have fun!"

As I mentioned, on my system Artha runs fine without it, i.e., opens, works, stays in memory, is called up with Alt-Ctl-w. I assume the instructions were to customize Seamonkey or Firefox. What are they supposed to do? and when are they needed? By not doing that, am I missing out on some functionality?

As mentioned, Artha stays resident in memory. Is there some way to turn it off, other than thru pprocess?

Thanks,

Mikeslr
That's to get the browser to connect properly to the SKydrive upload site, it has nothing to do with Artha. Skydrive doesn't accept Seamonkey as a browser so to download any of my files you need to change that setting.

All it does is pretend Seamonkey is Firefox for the purposes of connecting to sites that are pedantic about that sort of thing.
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

mikeslr

How to turn-off Artha?

#23 Post by mikeslr »

Hi sikpuppy:

Thanks for the response to my previous question. As I mentioned, Artha stays resident in memory unless pprocess is call up and Artha is terminated using it. Both my Desktop and my Laptop have 1 Gig or more of Ram, so for me the memory usage isn't particularly important. However, others with less robust systems may wonder if there was a more elegant way to remove it from memory. If not, perhaps you may consider including that option in the future.

[p.s. I posted the same question on Launchpad-Artha. I'll advise if I get a response.]

Thanks again,

Mike

mcewanw

Re: How to turn-off Artha?

#24 Post by mcewanw »

mikeslr wrote:However, others with less robust systems may wonder if there was a more elegant way to remove it from memory.
Just the usual way for apps that stay resident on the tray/taskbar: you right click the icon and select "Quit". At least that is how it works in JWM (Puppy 4.3.1).
github mcewanw

saima122

#25 Post by saima122 »

u can also find urdu to eng dictionary from here....

english to urdu dictionary

technosaurus

#26 Post by technosaurus »

I saw that a new version of artha was recently released, but after learning that it used wordnet, I instead hacked together this little one-liner:

here are my first attempts in case they are useful

Code: Select all

wget -q -O - http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=$1 |sed "s/<li>/\n<li>/g" | sed "s/<\/ul>/\n/g" |grep "<li>" >/tmp/word.html && defaulthtmlviewer /tmp/word.html

#or this to view as a tailbox 

wget -q -O - http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=$1 |sed "s/<li>/\n<li>/g" | sed "s/<\/ul>/\n/g" |grep "<li>" |sed "s/<[^>]*>//g" |Xdialog --tailbox - 0 0

#or defaulttextviewer
wget -q -O - http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=$1 |sed "s/<li>/\n<li>/g" | sed "s/<\/ul>/\n/g" |grep "<li>" |sed "s/<[^>]*>//g" |sed "s/S: //g" >/tmp/word.txt && defaulttextviewer /tmp/word.txt
but then I remembered my gaiksaurus script

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! $1 ];then
MYWORD=`xclip -o`
else
MYWORD=$@
fi
gaiksaurus $MYWORD
but sometimes the clipboard has something you don't wan't so I settled on this (you can paste into the dialog)

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! $1 ];then
MYWORD=`Xdialog --stdout --title "Psaurus" --inputbox "Enter a word to look up." 0 0`
else
MYWORD=$@
fi
wget -q -O - http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=$MYWORD |sed "s/<li>/\n<li>/g" | sed "s/<\/ul>/\n/g" |grep "<li>" |sed "s/<[^>]*>//g" |sed "s/S: //g" >/tmp/word.txt && defaulttextviewer /tmp/word.txt
(it is up to you if you want to turn on word wrap in your text viewer)

and I went ahead and made a command line version since all I had to do was change Xdialog to dialog and delete from the ">" on

(to get a navigable page instead of just text in psaurus change the last line to defaulthtmlviewer http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=$MYWORD)

... anyhow here is a pet package (sorry no menu entry)
Attachments
psaurus.png
(12.79 KiB) Downloaded 1478 times
Psaurus-0.1.pet
(620 Bytes) Downloaded 910 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

mikeslr

Artha thesaurus --works great in 2012 Pups

#27 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,
Just wanted to mention that this build still works great in the latest Slacko, Precise, OV-Precise, and Exprimo.

mikesLr

technosaurus

#28 Post by technosaurus »

Wordnet 3.1 was published without announcement a month or 2 ago. I wrote the beginnings of a script to parse the dictionary into C code (not complete, but the idea was to be able to build it as a fast, single portable static executable). Is there any desire for such a beast? ... I totally forgot about Psaurus; does it need any updates?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

6502coder

Re: Artha thesaurus --works great in 2012 Pups

#29 Post by 6502coder »

mikeslr wrote:Hi all,
Just wanted to mention that this build still works great in the latest Slacko, Precise, OV-Precise, and Exprimo.

mikesLr
Thanks for the tip! Just added this pet to my Wary 5.1.4.1 setup.

Wary 5.1.4.1 frugal
300 Mhz Pentium II laptop
96 Meg memory
Dual-boot with Win98

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#30 Post by Flash »

Technosaurus, having only just now seen this thread and tried out the Artha .pet (in Racy 5.3), I'm impressed. Could your version of Wordnet make it work even better?

TwoPuppies

#31 Post by TwoPuppies »

Hi.

I just tried to download the Artha .pet and got a message saying that the file had expired. Any chance of a new download link?
[color=#006699]What you really need is two puppies:
Puppy Linux, and the sort with four legs and a tail.[/color]

Puppus Dogfellow

#32 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

TwoPuppies wrote:Hi.

I just tried to download the Artha .pet and got a message saying that the file had expired. Any chance of a new download link?
you can grab a version here. goldendict, also available in that folder, is better. for that you'd need the adjacent wordnet deb and either the 1.0 _ or the 1.5_ pet.

Geoffrey

#33 Post by Geoffrey »

TwoPuppies wrote:Hi.

There is a artha-1.0.3.pet and wordnet-3.0.pet in the Carolina repo if that's any good to you.

http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

TwoPuppies

#34 Post by TwoPuppies »

Thanks to both Puppus Dogfellow and Geoffrey
[color=#006699]What you really need is two puppies:
Puppy Linux, and the sort with four legs and a tail.[/color]

snayak

#35 Post by snayak »

Is there a pet for Fatdog 611?
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

Pelo

bookmarked.

#36 Post by Pelo »

bookmarked. English dictionnaries are not those i need for my French colleagues, how to link a french one to avoid their housands of errors in type-writng, even with Libre-office.

mouldy

#37 Post by mouldy »

Just note for anybody interested. The above Carolina pets are still there, but they are 32bit.

I am running Slacko64 6.9.9.9 kernel 4.9.30

The Carolina 32bit version mentioned above does run ok (you need both pets) but you also will need 32bit version of libgbm.so.1 and libwayland-server.so.1 I found rpm versions and manually extracted the libraries and installed them to usr/lib directory.

There is a 64bit artha 1.0.3 deb, but couldnt find the matching 64bit wordnet-3.0 package.

wiak

#38 Post by wiak »

mouldy wrote:Just note for anybody interested. The above Carolina pets are still there, but they are 32bit.

I am running Slacko64 6.9.9.9 kernel 4.9.30

The Carolina 32bit version mentioned above does run ok (you need both pets) but you also will need 32bit version of libgbm.so.1 and libwayland-server.so.1 I found rpm versions and manually extracted the libraries and installed them to usr/lib directory.

There is a 64bit artha 1.0.3 deb, but couldnt find the matching 64bit wordnet-3.0 package.
The package is called "wordnet-base". Actually two wordnet packages are dependencies: wordnet deb itself and wordnet-base deb.

wiak

mikeslr

Building Artha for Xenialpup64 was 'a piece of cake'

#39 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, wiak, for the dependency pointers.

With them building Artha for Xenialpup64 took less than 5 minutes:

1. Opened Puppy Package Manager and searched for wordnet. Debs for both the wordnet deb and the wordnet-base deb showed up, along with artha, itself.
2. Selected all three and changed "AutoInstall" to "Download packages (No Install)". Did not select "with all dependencies". Who knows what Ubuntu thinks might be needed?
3. Clicked "Do it".
4. Moved the 3 debs downloaded into a folder named "artha_xen64-1.0.3". This folder can NOT be in /root (would cause problem with step 6).
5. I had previously installed PaDS, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81511 together with unrpm-all.pet from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 751#940751. Later required in 64-bit systems.
6. Right-clicked the the artha_xen64-1.0.3 folder and selected "Combine to SFS" from the popup menu. About a minute later, I received notification that the SFS had been created. PaDS creates SFSes in /root.
7. Right-Clicked the SFS to "SFS-load" and then chose "Move" and "Run".

It started up and functioned.

The SFS is only 7 Mbs. So I'll convert it to a pet. While doing that, I'll edit the category argument in /usr/share/applications/artha.desktop so that artha will appear on the Documents Submenu. Ubuntu thought it was a "Utility".

To create a pet from an SFS:

1. Create an other folder --can have same name, just a different work directory.
2. Left-click/Mount the SFS. Select view.
3 Copy all contents from the window which opens into the new folder.
4. Make any edits, such as the category argument mentioned.
5. Right-Click empty space in the parent of that folder and select: Window>terminal here:
6. Enter the commmand: dir2pet EXACT_NAME_OF_APP_FOLDER. Answer a couple of questions (or press Enter). A pet will be created next to the folder.

mikesLr

p.s. Took longer to post this, than to create the SFS.

mouldy

#40 Post by mouldy »

Nice to know but would have to download Xenialpup64 or some other 64bit debian based puppy to imitate your 5minute sfs creation. See I am using Slacko64 as I mention. Puppy package manager in it doesnt look for deb packages (or rpms for that matter) and apparently neither Artha nor wordnet are in the searched Slackware/Slacko64 repositories.

I can sideload deb packages by clicking on them, but I have to find them independently.

Out of curiousity, looked again, and did find both wordnet debs for independent download. Hey its nice to know what exactly you are looking for. What program run from terminal complains is missing is not always the name of the package you should be looking for.

But like say, mute point, the 32bit Carolina pet version is working fine. But now anybody looking on this thread should be able to do 32bit or 64bit version of Artha in Slacko64. Nice to have choices.