I thing about a puppy like system in foreign language

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
oui

I thing about a puppy like system in foreign language

#1 Post by oui »

Hi!

For native English speakers it can be see as completely normal that each software has to be on English :lol:

For millions of non English speakers it is completely different :idea:

I say it without pathetic or emotion: my grand-ma was English. But I did live in the part of France where people learn traditionaly German (Easten of F.) so that my English is poor and bad because I did never learn English at school or systematic... :wink: My children did visite the English kindergarten and speak English like native English people. "I" am the problem!

And I can't read English very fast.

But other people can't read English at all!

French people have no problem: they have Mandrake Linux of course. And Mandrake move. Both are best Linux addresses! But they are also really heavy distributions. All is heavy. If you need a little letter with only, you have to start the big linux distribution and to start the big Open Office. Etc. I find it nearly ridiculous... The approach of puppy is 1000 time more realistic (I regrett my old laptop: it was possible to save the complete system on the disc at the end and only to turn the power directly off after that! and the next day it wasn't necessary to restart all the system: only load the saved last situation from harddisk and continue the same session, days and days and days along; it is really enough to write 5 row of text each day in a letter and see the daily emails!)

For this reason I think about to make a completely free distribution in a more accessible language for the most European people and speakers of European languages different from English oversea (Spanish, Portuguese, French, etc.). For that, I have a friend, he is a really very great Linux expert in his position as chief-webmaster in an important public university in Europe. And he is an absolute Linux fan. I will ask him to be so kind and to help me.

I don't will to copy Puppy, you see:

a/ I will not use English at all in the only one distribution but an neutral international language (Interlingue because the most European people inclusive English speakers can read it without great difficulties completely without to need to learn this language; it is the only one solution with this propriety what can reach so much people!)
b/ I would like to use only Debian packages and always prefer open source software where available (because of changing the tongue!)
c/ I would like to start linux without screen statements and only save errors in an error file (I find Linux a little silly dilly in this mater: the start is so long and the enorm quantity of text indications scrolls so fast, that you can rarely read and use the informations)
d/ I would like to make the session restartable the next day (and more days of course!), like on my old laptop
e/ I find the ram disk way really good (1.
f/ I find it is not necessary to propose different software with exactly the same function in the same distribution. a package service is enough (2.

Puppy proposes an excellent choice of software but to much different software for the exactly the same purpose... why?

(the old Puppy versions were better under this aspect!)

what is your opinion?

kindly

oui

(1 10 years ago I had an old laptop and no money and no cd-rom. and the hard disk did break. Catastrophal. I did use more than an year the computer completely without hard disk with a MS windows 3.11 environment with "all on only 3 floppy disks" and RAM disk: system, all applications that I need (including non usual applications like music notation editor etc.) and all my usual data! and the other data on specific floppy discs. and I am not alone: http://dosbbs.2ya.com proposes now Win3.1 with DOS 7.1 for big harddisks and long file names on 1 floppy (I didn't need any harddisk - I didn't have HD any more!)

(2 and the Debian packages are the better than the other because they are better accessible.
One editor is enough. One browser is enough. And if the text processor can process pure text files, you don't need an editor at all (exception: it would be an extremly compact programms, editor or other, like the editor "TheGun" under MS-Windows: only 7 kb, I suppose it uses an external ressource from MS-Windows better than Notepad.exe itself, but can handle in pretty windows mode with text or HTML files with more than 1 Gb; Notepad can't big files)!

but if possible, I would prefer a system with Wine integrated by start or where Wine is present because it is really usefull... especially in a minimal system like puppy! why? because in the most cases a MS windows is also on the hard disk, I thing, and can help: it is a great deception to work hours and hours at different points in 20.000 or 40.000 rows (I have dictionaries to sort in spreadsheet with this among of rows) to actualize or change different entries with a spreadsheet with restricted possibilities used only because you are a fan of the idea of Linux, and to see to late after that, that the goal is not operable...

a spreadsheet is a terrible time killer instrument if it is a cribble version. bad spreadsheets can generate a terrible data confusion.
Last edited by oui on Sun 19 Jun 2005, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

You are welcome to create your own distro, and use ideas from Puppy.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Have you considered Esperanto? :)

oui

thank you very much Barry!

#4 Post by oui »

BarryK wrote:You are welcome to create your own distro, and use ideas from Puppy.

oui

esperanto and interlingue

#5 Post by oui »

Flash wrote:Have you considered Esperanto? :)
Hi Flash

Yes, of course!

If you see on this part on my main site http://esperanto.fr.tt/ , you will see a big work about esperanto (is not finish: I work each day at coffee time 1/4 hour on it! Its slow of course...). This work also explains directly only by showing a lot of difficulties encontred by an esperanto lover (but not completely fan): you need a computer prepared especially to manage E