Bilingual Japanese/English Puppy setup

For efforts in internationalising Puppy and solving problems in this area
gennoveus

Bilingual Japanese/English Puppy setup

#1 Post by gennoveus »

Hello

I'm was an Ubuntu user and I've just recently got into puppy linux - and I really love it.

I just about have everything set up as I like but I'm having a few issues with Japanese text. I work as a translator so I need this stuff to be working! :D

It was a breeze to get Japanese input working, but there are two (probably related) nagging problems this noob can't solve. :roll:

If you see the screenshot attachment to this post, you'll see that:
A) text in the top bar of dialog boxes appears as boxes (top of seamonkey) and...
B) File and folder names in rox show up as question marks.

Please help me! I didn't notice these problems until I had already spent ages getting my puppy setup just right, so I'd like to keep installing the Japanese version of puppy as a last resort. (as it means I'll have to do everything all over again)

Thanks in advance for any help!

shinobar

Re: Bilingual Japanese/English Puppy setup

#2 Post by shinobar »

gennoveus wrote:I just about have everything set up as I like but I'm having a few issues with Japanese text. I work as a translator so I need this stuff to be working! :D
hi, gennoveus

The font names are wrong in .jwmrc, /.jwm/jwmrc-theme, .jwm/themes/xxx-xxx-jwmrc, /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc, etc.

Code: Select all

<Font>DejaVu Sans-12</Font>
is to be

Code: Select all

<Font>DejaVu Sans 12</Font>
This link maybe a help.

but i recommend you puppy 4.30 japanese edition.
it is already set up as a japanese/english bilingual.
it is firstly all japanese, but you can change the locale to en_US.UTF-8 or any others.
then all desktop and applications turn to english and you can still read and write japanese.

puppy 4.30JP's final release shall be a couple of days after, but you can try it now by using the Releae Candidate.
Announcement
japanese forum

P.S.
I realized 4.30JP in locale other than ja_JP-UTF-8 does not display japanese at the title bar.
i will check it up.

YoN

#3 Post by YoN »

gennoveus

Yes please try Puppy4.3 Japanese edition.

1: Boot from 4.3JP
2: Desktop > Chooselocale country localtion
3: Choose your locale. e.g. un_US: English, USA
4: Chick URF-8-encoding
5: Set your keyboad.

You can also use Japanese Input Method.

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

I'm using Puppy 4.2.1, and have already managed to get Japanese to display properly in Seamonkey/Firefox (but not in the titlebar, as mentioned above). Is it easy to setup a way to enter Japanese text? I've been using JWPCE through WINE to enter text, then copy it to the clipboard and paste it where needed.

Is there even a Japanese-capable word processor available for Linux?
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

shinobar

#5 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:I realized 4.30JP in locale other than ja_JP-UTF-8 does not display japanese at the title bar.
It is tricky but set the locale to th_TH.UTF-8 on 4.30JP. Then the tile bar shows japanese, multibyte chalactors. zh/ko maybe does not because of lack of chinese/korean locale on puppy 4.3.

Makoto, we recomend you again puppy 4.30JP.

gennoveus

#6 Post by gennoveus »

Yon

Makoto

#7 Post by Makoto »

shinobar wrote:Makoto, we recomend you again puppy 4.30JP.
I use an old Win98 machine (actually a Win98 system HD transplanted into what was originally a WinME tower), and I'm not sure it'll work with Puppy 4.3, yet. It does seem to require the Retro kernel. I'll probably try the Retro and non-Retro versions of 4.3 on this system sooner or later, to see if they work.

gennoveus: Thanks! (I would reply in Japanese, but I'm a bit rusty. (This, even considering I do some translation work, now and then, too... :shock: )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

gennoveus

#8 Post by gennoveus »

Oops sorry I thought you were Japanese! :lol:

Anyway, just click the link in my post above, it'll tell you exactly how to install Japanese input in older versions (in English)

I finished downloading the new Japanese version of 4.3 so I'll install that now ... :D

shinobar

#9 Post by shinobar »

Makoto wrote:I use an old Win98 machine (actually a Win98 system HD transplanted into what was originally a WinME tower), and I'm not sure it'll work with Puppy 4.3, yet. It does seem to require the Retro kernel. I'll probably try the Retro and non-Retro versions of 4.3 on this system sooner or later, to see if they work.
Makoto,
the 4.30 japanese edition is provided with 3 different kernels, 4.30JP, 4.30stdJP, and 4.30retroJP.
hope you will find suitable one.

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

gennoveus wrote:Oops sorry I thought you were Japanese! :lol:
Close. :) It's just that while I work with the language, I haven't had many opportunities over the years to actually speak it with someone else. :oops: Also, I may tend to slip into informal/slang, which isn't necessarily a good idea. :)
Anyway, just click the link in my post above, it'll tell you exactly how to install Japanese input in older versions (in English)
I had checked the link. I don't think I would have minded if it were in Japanese, though. :)
shinobar wrote:Makoto,
the 4.30 japanese edition is provided with 3 different kernels, 4.30JP, 4.30stdJP, and 4.30retroJP.
hope you will find suitable one.
Ah, okay. Is that selected at boot?
I'll keep it in mind when I get around to trying 4.3. I haven't been in a hurry to test it because 4.2.1 works for me, though. :oops:

YoN

#11 Post by YoN »

For your information about Chooselocale country localisation:
Left button is "Restart X", Right one is "Done? or Finished"

I don't know Howto start IME in english keyboard.
But in Japanese 106 keyboard, hit left-upper key(left of "1,!" key).
These may be set by SCIM preference.

I think that there is a part where Japanese version 4.3 has advanced more than an English version.

Please experience a Japanese version 4.3 by all means.

gennoveus

#12 Post by gennoveus »

3日間

ppenguin

#13 Post by ppenguin »

I followed the links to both
http://www.puppylinux.ca/members/Irihapeti
and
http://www.puppylinux.asia/members/Irihapeti

but it says

Not Found

The requested URL /members/Irihapeti was not found on this server.

Were they permanently removed?

YoN

#14 Post by YoN »

Hi ppenguin,

Here on Shinobar's site, there are Puppy Linux Japanese latest editions ISOs.

http://122.102.213.192/puppy/pup4/

Latest one is pup-431JP-RC5.1125.4.iso

And 4.30JP edition is Here;

http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/index.html.en

Puppy 4.3.1 JP Final will be soon!!

If you can read Japanese, visit our japanese forum;

http://sakurapup.browserloadofcoolness.com/