For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sidders

Hansamben - 412 - Kids Linux distro based on Puppy Linux 412

#1 Post by sidders »

After months of twiddling and evolving
the original post

Live CD or Kiosk version posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 993#369993

I thought it was time that release was put into the subject somewhere.
All being well, i'll take the Pre bit away and beg for a mirror.
The pup_412.sfs is a hsb_412.sfs and the pup_save is hsb_save.

Completely rebuilt using 412 barebones which support 24 sfs's
Gcompris 8.4.13- with english, spanish and french (language learning)
Tuxmath
Tuxtype
Tuxpaint and stamps
Bugsquish
Help Hannahs Horse
Concentration.
Osmo
Oneko
Firepup with adobe flash 9
AbiWord 2.6.3 (updated) with additional Fun Fonts
Coins (Sterling) Other versions of Coins - US, Euro and Oz are available here
Euro
US
Australian
Drop the file into My applications and drag it to the desktop.

CTRL + ALT + H - hide the menu except for FUN and Personal
CTRL + ALT + R - Reveal al menus
CTRL + ALT + D - Disable right click (doesnt work on touchpad) it maps all buttons in Xorg.conf to 1 1 1.
CTRL + ALT + E - Enable right mouse button

I have bundled it together with 3 SFS's (so far). Which means the ISO has Hansamben alog with the 3 sfs's which need to be loaded\installed.
KDE -
Ktuberling
Klettres
Kgeography
Blinken

Etoys- Squeakland

CUPS- with Gutenprint etc

An entry in the Setup menu will check Pupstate and reveal either bootmanager or sfsinstaller If its a full install it will copy the SFS from CD to /. A script will be put into startup that will place icons on the desktop (RoxDTIcon) for full install or on startup for Frugal. The shutdown will wipe them. The Full install GUI is available also

DOS box games have been taken out but will be made into an SFS.

Help files have been updated and written

The Oneclick installer has been incorporated in root in a folder called Recycle-This-PC, this is a password protected script.
Password: Wipehdd
It will wipe the drive set up a swap file and carry out either a frugal or start the PUI for a full install. You do not need to cancel the PUI at grub, carry on all the way through. Neater.

Everything is here

http://www.mydrive.ch/

username : puppy@sidders
Password: puppylinux

Will post the SFs seperatly

Started a new thread to save people scrolling through umpteen posts. get those bugs

A mountain of credit goes to others. What a learning curve. :D

Edit. I knocked together a quick Howto in Abiword for people to get started with Puppy ie booting from CD, changing Boot order etc. Its not authoritive, really to be printed and dished out with Puppy.

Seperate SFS's

Link to thread HanSamBen based on Puppy 431

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 523#425523
Attachments
HanSamBen.abw.bz2
Booting from CD
(31.15 KiB) Downloaded 687 times
Last edited by sidders on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 22:33, edited 33 times in total.

sidders

#2 Post by sidders »

To do:
A fancy website
Pebbles
graphic grub
Spanish version (in the making)
Kiosk version (done but needs to be rebuilt)

alienjeff

#3 Post by alienjeff »

Removed - aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

sidders

#4 Post by sidders »

I apologise to those wo have downloaded the US coins. I have rectified it. I didnt resize the coin images. :oops:

technosaurus

#5 Post by technosaurus »

Just saw this project on Freshmeat:
http://omnitux.sourceforge.net/
Very similar to Gcompris
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Puppyt

#6 Post by Puppyt »

sidders - you so ROCK!

I was going to leave it there, but some feedback on your other project...

My 3 nephews have an old computer I gave them, a stand-alone box (no internet access) with HSB3.0 plus ttuuxx's VLC and a suite of flash games I hawked from elsewhere on the puppy forum (I made a no-frills homepage of the directory with the flash games listed, so they're straight in from starting FireFox). This from me mum:
"[Sis] thanks you daily when the kids are home for your games computer, it keeps them so occupied and they seem to find something new daily.............Its been a life saver!!! the only problem is that they have time limits and usually there is a great uproar when times up!!!!!!"
(Masters 4, 6 and 8 ).

My kids (Miss 4, Master 6) have HSB3.0 recobbled from your (earlier) SFS files on a clean install of 4.1.2 for another, older computer that was having mysterious problems loading from the complete puplet. No internet or flash on theirs, but it is hooked up to the LCD TV so it runs 'difficult' DVD's that won't play cleanly on the DVD player, as well as FLV's of classic Sesame Street etc etc - but mostly they flit between FattyBear, TuxPaint, TuxMaths and gCompris as the whim takes them.

Imagine their culture shock when they might play on a friends computer, and it has an alien environment called "Windows"?
----------------------------------------------------------------

What about including perhaps future SFS' with educational flash games (I know there is a how-to for browser-less Flash in the forum, but I haven't been able to work it out), or jar games? I realise flash and java are more bloat, but there seems to be a lot of open-source for those...

I especially thank you for the Retro version in this thread - intend installing it on a Win95-era, Pentium laptop, now upgraded to a glorious 48MB EDO RAM...

Cheers!

Puppyt

#7 Post by Puppyt »

sidders -

I just raced through your AbiWord doc - many thanks for that, I'm sure it will be a big help to people coming to try your puplet. Just 2 suggestions - could you save the document in a non-proprietary format, like RTF rather than ABW? Spreads that net a bit. And, for those with computers with ancient BIOS with no option to boot from CD (e.g., Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS - boot to BIOS using the 'esc' button during POST), here's a link etc to rcrsn51's fabulous "Grubflop" floppy image for booting Puppy Live-CDs etc. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16950.

Thanks Again

sidders

#8 Post by sidders »

The SFS's that are included with the 269mb ISO and the Dosgames that wasnt. Listed at the bottom of the first post.

More SFS will follow. I could re build the ISO's to include them up to 700mb (size of CD). The pup sfs will still be 208mb. Or would people prefer to include what they want?.

Puppyt

#9 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks, sidders,

I've downloaded your dosbox games sfs file - that will help very much with mix'n'matching favoured games (SFS') on low-end hardware. Alas! The basic retro is just too good for a pentium lappy with 48MB RAM, 256Mb swap, full installation. Guess if it was a SD drive installed I'd see improvements, but currently it runs very much like the 70's band "Mi-Sex" and their stuttering hit song... (I might have to stick with a Win98 partition and dos games for this one - but at least I have Help Hannah's Horse down to a speed I can play!)
Your point on java and flash SFS' is well made - we can't expect you to spend considerably more time hunting and testing games in those formats. Best to just use HSB as a launchpad for further journeys into the open-source domain...

Cheers!

sidders

#10 Post by sidders »

I was but knee-high to a grasshopper so my parents may have protected me from "Mi-Sex", thankfully.

Noted on the retro/low end PC. thanks Puppyt

I will carry on with the build of new SFS's. The Prophet made a point in the original thread about signing videos and Flash games have been brought up before.

Cracking on with the Spanish translation at the moment. Maybe when its finished could send to Shakira's charity (educating Columbian kids). mmmmm Shakira, Mi Sex :P

jamalexa

#11 Post by jamalexa »

Does this version include the Auto Installer?

sidders

#12 Post by sidders »

Jamalexa. It does have the one click installer. In /root/Recycle-this-pc/ Oneclick.run (password is Wipehdd). It was made with makeself It lwill do a frugal without any intervention, but with the full install after the format it will drop you at the Puppy Installer for the install and grub install. There are some screenshots and step by step instructions in Help, written in bad english.

Basically it is the Alpha V3, rebuilt with Gcompris 8.4.13 and the dosgames taken off and put into an SFS.

jamalexa

One Click Installer

#13 Post by jamalexa »

Installed Hansamben on 6 computers to be used by pre- schol and Pre-k students. 4 computers were installed by frugal install and 2 went to full install. what determines a full rather than a frugal install? Also I notice that no swap partition was created. These computers had Win XP installed.

sidders

#14 Post by sidders »

The first thing the script does is determine how much ram (minus video) there is, there does a frugal (>256mb) or a Full install (<256mb). The script uses a swap file rather than a partition.

I can post the script if you like before i made it into a makeself file.

This is the code that checks for the amount of RAM

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
RAMSIZE=`free | grep 'Mem:' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 3 -d ' '` #total physical ram (less shared video).
if [ $RAMSIZE -gt 220000 ]
then
frugal-install
else
full-install
fi

sidders

#15 Post by sidders »

Childsplay SFS uploaded. Link on first post. Its pets that LJFR created. As most of the dependencies are in HSB anyway (python, SDL etc), it has Pygame, Numpy and SQLAlchemy.

SteveHoffmanUK

#16 Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

Sidders

Absolutely brilliant - this has made my day.

My daughter has had an old Toshiba Tecra8000 laptop gathering dust. Her son (3 1/2) has become a whiz at surfing the net (he's now showing his nursery school mates how it's done), and she didn't want to buy some silly kiddie computer (b&w screen etc.) because he's got used to a real computer. Could I put some games on the Toshiba?

I searched around and tried to load FATGamespup (see another thread here) but the Tosh wasn't having it. Hansamben breezed straight through and is now rocking, even with wireless working.

I am amazed at the life that Puppy has breathed into the laptop, and very pleased for my grandchildren's (and daughter's) sake.

Well done.

Now if I can just get the damn thing to produce sound . . . :roll:

sidders

#17 Post by sidders »

SteveHoffmanUK

#18 Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

Sidders

Many thanks for the links to two relevant threads about the sound problem - saved me a lot of time searching.

Using them I was able to get the ALSA Wizard to set /etc/modprobe.config to the right soundcard for my Tecra, and the sound sprang to life. Unfortunately, although I asked the Wizard to save this setting for the reboot, on reboot there is no sound and I have to go through the Wizard to reset. Clearly this isn't acceptable. This problem is also covered in the two threads, but the solution given there doesn't work for my modprobe.config file.

Since this happens also in my Puppy 4.3.1 system, I think I should seek help not in this Derivatives section but elsewhere in the forum, since it's got nothing to do with Hansamben.

Thanks again for your help and for Hansamben, which incidentally my daughter has now seen and agrees that it's brilliant and just what she was hoping to find.

sidders

#19 Post by sidders »

I have built a Kiosk\Lice CD version of HSB.
174 mb

It has Gcompris, Tuxpaint, Type and Maths. Also HHH, Bugsquish, Hex-a-Hop and coins,hence the reason for 3 different ISO':
UK, US and Australian.
It doesnt have any browser or a wordprosessor except the one in Gcompris.
NTFS3g has been taken away and it will not make a save file. The right click is disabled except with touchpad.
There is no menu, just whats on the desktop. It also has a small PDF with an introduction.

It isnt foolproof but it would take a bit of work and is probably beyond a 6 year old to bugger up the
underlying operating system.

The mouse and keyboard have been set to US (i think). Just need to set xorg on boot.

Live CD Australia
MD5 Oz

Live CD UK
MD5 UK

Live CD US
MD5 US

Back on with the Spanish version.

jamalexa

Thanks

#20 Post by jamalexa »

Thanks for the kiosk version. I'll give it a try as soon as I buy some cds to burn.