Ecopup 0.7.3.2 - Beta release now with AUTOMATED INSTALLER!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pete22

Weather

#61 Post by Pete22 »

The weather thingee is cool.

I found out the hard way, how to configure this for your own home town:
Right click on one of the weather tabs and then go to options.

Another good bit of information for the beginners page.

Cheers,

Pete22

Pete22

Browser Home page

#62 Post by Pete22 »

I like your homepage in the browser.
If I change the homepage how can I still have access to this page?

Here are some issues I saw:
The video that you link to has been removed by the owner.
Maybe there is another one you could link to.
If so I would ask the author to contact you if they decide to move it.

At first I thought the icons at the top were just decor because they didn't do anything.
I happened drag my mouse over over Viz and it looked like a link so I clicked it.
I figured out all the words under the Icons were links.
I suggest making the Icon the link, or make the words look more like a link.

The first link "Viz" has the same icon has this home page. I think they should be different.

The manuel link does not work.

The table of programs: It took me a while to realize they were links.

The words "Online Applications" needs to look like a title to the links on the rest of the line.

I checked the browser default settings. It is set to have links
look a dark blue and underlined but it is not doing that.
Nor is it changing the color to the used url color either.

The information that many of the links go to has been moved.

The box of links: I am not sure of the real purpose of it.
I see programs that are in this version as well as ones that
are not. (that may not be true if I could get the zip file working correctly.)
If they are the ones that are currently installed, it should say so.
If the links went to a page that explains how each installed program worked.
that would be cool. If the box has another purpose it should say so.

Where it says more, I assume its for links to more programs of this type
that I could download. I would suggest you call that link
Want
more?

I see wink on the list. I used it in windows.
I am thrilled to see it has a linux edition.
I clicked on the link and it tried to download.

If a program is not included in the package (I hope it is)
then the link should go to a page to explain what it is.
That way someone who does not know what it does, can
decide if they want it before they download it.

Oh, I just noticed that there are links in the big blue square.
So they need the same tweaking as the other links.
The big dog approved themes does not have a link but needs one.

The online applications are cool!!!!!! It gives me hope for a 15 year old laptop I have. :idea:

The first link presentations does not work. The link now is: http://www.spresent.com/v2/

The current "office" link goffice has changed their service and it is no longer free.
I suggest you link to Google Docs instead.

I have learned a lot just studying this page. I can tell this took you a lot of work.

Thank you for your efforts.

Pete22

Pete22

A viable, voluntary voyage

#63 Post by Pete22 »

That sentence suggests that virtualbox is included. Is it?

Pete 22

P.S. If not, I would like it.

ecomoney

#64 Post by ecomoney »

Updated 0.7.1.3 BETA, see first post for changelog

Pete thanks for your feedback, I have to go out now but I will go over and give you a more thorough reply. I have included qemu.pup in the extras folder on the ISO, virtualbox is a bit big to fit.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

reckrhodes

#65 Post by reckrhodes »

Hello Sir Ecomoney!
Good day!
What's the latest of the Ecopup? I can't download it from the link.
Thank you.

Your previous Ecopup has been very useful in our computer laboratory. Children loved it.

Hope that you and Whodo and others will be together again in developing a pupplet that is useful to Pupils (Kindergarten up to Grade 6).

God Bless to all! Specially to Sir BarryK and his family.

By the way, we need your prayers also. We are very sad here of the news that our country suffered.

Eric
Philippines

ecomoney

#66 Post by ecomoney »

Sorry! My server is down at the moment while I raise the funds to pay servage! I will let you know when I get it done.

Its current status is 0.7.3 beta. I have a few tweaks Ive been putting of and putting off.

I would love some pics and feedback for the website of your computer lab. The kids at my last house loved all the games too (which I did not package or develop...thanks to those who did).

Sorry to hear about the troubles in your country. Thank you for the feedback. All the best.

Rob
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Colonel Panic

#67 Post by Colonel Panic »

A couple of problems I'm afraid. Firstly, someone's noticed that when they try and type anything in a text box when using Firefox in Ecopup, they get a vertical line scudding horizontally across the page when the cursor's moving. I've checked and also seen this for myself in Seamonkey, and on a different machine Ecopup was installed on.

Also, Ecopup ships with a dual boot with 4.21. For some reason this has got trashed (it only shows a blank desktop on bootup, with no icons or menus), and I'd like to replace it with the latest Puppy (4.31). Is there an easy way of doing this, or do I have to use GParted and shrink the partition before creating a new one?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

ecomoney

#68 Post by ecomoney »

Hi Colonel :D

Glad to see your still using the ecopup at the centre. Hope things are going well for you down there. Weve got it installed at a cybercafe up here in Scarborough too now.

I havnt seen the problem with the text/box verticle line. May I ask what website this appears on?

To update the puppy 4.21, simple replace these files with the ones from the 4.3.1 is

/boot/pup421/initrd.gz
/boot/pup421/vmlinuz
/boot/pup_421.sfs (with pup_431.sfs)

This will get it working

You can also edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, updating the TITLE line to get the correct label for the initial boot menu.

Happy Puppying!

Colonel Panic

#69 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info concerning updating the 4.21 installation. I'll get on and do it next week.

As for the scudding lines; as far as I can tell it happens whenever you try and type anything in a text box - for example, posting to a forum like this one. I might try and install an up-to-date browser like Swiftfox 3.5 to see how that works.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#70 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; I returned to the Community Centre yesterday to reinstall Ecopup and then replace the 4.21 Puppy installation with 4.31, and was told the computer suite was out of action for at least the next couple of days. The reason; the previous system admin (to the one Rob saw when he visited us in July) hadn't done his job properly and Windows (which still runs on the majority of the machines there) had run into serious problems. Probably a virus or something.

(Edit; it turned out to be a Trojan).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Wed 09 Dec 2009, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#71 Post by Colonel Panic »

Colonel Panic wrote:Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info concerning updating the 4.21 installation. I'll get on and do it next week.

As for the scudding lines; as far as I can tell it happens whenever you try and type anything in a text box - for example, posting to a forum like this one. I might try and install an up-to-date browser like Swiftfox 3.5 to see how that works.
Just trying it now. The problem is (and Ken's pointed out the reason to me) the cursor line isn't refreshing as it should be when the cursor is moved. So, when you move a cursor forward or back you get the cursor line where it's been and also where it's moved to.

(The F5 key which refreshes the display removes the lines, temporarily.)

Colonel Panic

#72 Post by Colonel Panic »

[http://www.4neo-quest.com/neoquest/iso/ ... -alpha.iso
It should be about midnight central time US +- 30min.
I hope this will be of some help. Let me know if there are any problems with this link. (In the morning)
This is a download not a mirror. Please check the hash code.[/quote]

Is this mirror still up? If it was it would give people who wanted to download Ecopup an option to use while Rob's server is still out of action.

inoxidabile

#73 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody!

I would like to try the last version of Ecopup, but the link in the first page is still down...
Could anyone kindly tell me an other link (if any...).

I need a quick puplet for an old pc (250Mhz / 256M ram): it's strange, even with Turbopup the startup takes about 2.5 minutes and all applications are very slow. :(
Now it runs with a M$xp - the startup takes less than 2 minutes and the applications aren't quick but enough responsive... Obviously, I cannot withstand this defeat for Puppy :)

Of course, any suggestion is welcome!

Thanks!

Sylvander

#74 Post by Sylvander »

How about temporarily hosting at this FREE site?

Each upload expires after 30 days. :(
Max file size = 100.00MB. :(

gposil

#75 Post by gposil »

You find Mirror here...http://gposil.com/ecomoney/

[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

inoxidabile

#76 Post by inoxidabile »

Thank you gposil for the mirror, but it seems an alpha version and not the last beta.
I feel that the variations are not as small, as ecomoney say in his first post.
Never mind, I'll wait... :) or maybe I could test also the alpha, because I've seen that the main part of time at startup is for the kernel loading for almost all the puplet I tried.

Colonel Panic

#77 Post by Colonel Panic »

gposil wrote:You find Mirror here...http://gposil.com/ecomoney/

Thanks for the mirror, even if it is only an alpha it's better than nothing.

Still like the avatar btw.

ecomoney

#78 Post by ecomoney »

Thanks to the hosting service (which is fantastic thank you!) Ive updated the mirror locations and Ecopup 0.7.3.2-beta is available again! Please look in the first post, or here.

Apologies for the outage!

Colonel Panic

#79 Post by Colonel Panic »

Great! Glad to see Ecopup's back in business again.

BluePuppy

Ecopup 0.7.3.2-Beta File Missing

#80 Post by BluePuppy »

Looking for a copy of Ecopup 0.7.3.2-beta version. It seems to have gone missing. Any ideas where Ecopup-beta might be? :(

I downloaded a copy of the Ecopup-alpha version to try on an old Compaq Presario 1600i notebook. VERY NICE WORK! I am very impressed with the alpha version. I will need some time to dig into the available programs to check out the bones of this puppy. Since it is so large, I created a torrent for other people looking for the file.

Can't wait to see the beta version!

Keep up the great work. :D