Has anyone dual booted Puppy + Ubuntu with GRUB2?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mikeb

#61 Post by mikeb »

Now Mike, dont be such a Troll
1) no censorship remember....
2)since when has stating facts been trolling....not like I'm someone who doesn't use puppy on a daily basis....shall I start promoting other distros in my signature...would that me more acceptable?

mike

mikeb

#62 Post by mikeb »

3200 posts...check them out...helped a few puppy users I believe.....

don't insult me again

mike

DaveS

#63 Post by DaveS »

mikeb wrote:3200 posts...check them out...helped a few puppy users I believe.....

don't insult me again

mike
Please accept my sincere apologies. No insult was intended. The comment was made in jest, hence the smiley that you chose to ignore. Please be assured that, where you are concerned, I will not make the same mistake again.....................
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

ecomoney

Ext$

#64 Post by ecomoney »

By christ Ive missed this place! 8)

Ive been giving ubuntu 9.10 a try, very polished I have to admit, and simple to install. Puppy could definetely learn a few tricks here. In fact, a trick has already been developed, Ecopup has a one click installer, as has HanSamBen....its not pretty but it "just works" :D . Mike good to see your still battling for the right of the common man to be able to access free software without needing to take a sabbatical! Go for it!

Was wondering about the Grub entries when I tried 9.10. It uses grub 2 does it? Another thing it does is install by default on an ext4 filesystem, which I dont believe Puppy supports yet (but I have been out of the loop for a while). Apparently ext4 is great - fast and secure and resistant to corruption...perhaps it could be "backported"?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

mikeb

#65 Post by mikeb »

The comment was made in jest
well in that case no apology needed......bit of a touchy subject crept in there and I was sent into traumatic shock :shock: .

I do feel that puppy should take a stand on the whole linux install/compatability issue since it is actually in such a good position to do so ... it has always kept away from the norm and should continue to do so

regards

mike

Jim1911

Re: Ext$

#66 Post by Jim1911 »

ecomoney wrote:By christ Ive missed this place! 8)
. . . . Another thing it does is install by default on an ext4 filesystem, which I dont believe Puppy supports yet (but I have been out of the loop for a while). Apparently ext4 is great - fast and secure and resistant to corruption...perhaps it could be "backported"?
Pup 431, upup432, upup450, dpup, and others do support ext4 now, although there are still problems with frugal installations. Hopefully, all the problems will be taken care of since ext4 does have advantages.

ICPUG

#67 Post by ICPUG »

Education required.

What advantages does ext4 bring over ext3?

mikeb

#68 Post by mikeb »

What advantages does ext4 bring over ext3?
I was wondering too.......so from here
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-ext4/
Table 1. Current and upcoming features of ext4 that provide advantages over ext3
Feature Advantage
Larger file systems Ext3 tops out at 32 tebibyte (TiB) file systems and 2 TiB files, but practical limits may be lower than this depending on your architecture and system settings—perhaps as low as 2 TiB file systems and 16 gibibyte (GiB) files. Ext4, by contrast, permits file systems of up to 1024 pebibyte (PiB), or 1 exbibyte (EiB), and files of up to 16 TiB. This may not be important (yet!) for the average desktop computer or server, but it is important to users with large disk arrays.
Extents An extent is a way to improve the efficiency of on-disk file descriptors, reducing deletion times for large files, among other things.
Persistent preallocation If an application needs to allocate disk space before actually using it, most file systems do so by writing 0s to the not-yet-used disk space. Ext4 permits preallocation without doing this, which can improve the performance of some database and multimedia tools.
Delayed allocation Ext4 can delay allocating disk space until the last moment, which can improve performance.
More subdirectories If you've ever felt constrained by the fact that a directory can only hold 32,000 subdirectories in ext3, you'll be relieved to know that this limit has been eliminated in ext4.
Journal checksums Ext4 adds a checksum to the journal data, which improves reliability and performance.
Online defragmentation Although ext3 isn't prone to excessive fragmentation, files stored on it are likely to become at least a little fragmented. Ext4 adds support for online defragmentation, which should improve overall performance.
Undelete Although it hasn't been implemented yet, ext4 may support undelete, which, of course, is handy whenever somebody accidentally deletes a file.
Faster file system checks Ext4 adds data structures that permit fsck to skip unused parts of the disk in its checks, thus speeding up file system checks.
Nanosecond timestamps Most file systems, including ext3, include timestamp data that is accurate to a second. Ext4 extends the accuracy of this data to a nanosecond. Some sources also indicate that the ext4 timestamps support dates through April 25, 2514, versus January 18, 2038, for ext3.
Hmm interesting list....apparently ext4 was in the 2.6.19 kernel.
I want nanosecond timestamps on my laptop so I know when I wrote that 2TB file :D

mike

davesurrey

#69 Post by davesurrey »

mikeb wrote
I want nanosecond timestamps on my laptop so I know when I wrote that 2TB file
In other places Bill Gates said:
640K ought to be enough for anybody
Thomas J Watson of IBM said
I think there is a world market for about five computers
Keeping good company Mike. :-)

mikeb

#70 Post by mikeb »

Well I realise that ext4 is needed now...desperately....I can fully understand the panic to get this up and fully implemented today :D

I do apologise that everything is working really well for me and I will endeavour to find ways of ustilising this cutting edge technology to avoid further mockery...indeed why have a distro that supports old hardware...what a silly antiquainted idea. :D

Well off to my ancient world of friendly people :D

mike
Last edited by mikeb on Sat 28 Nov 2009, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#71 Post by mikeb »

I want nanosecond timestamps on my laptop so I know when I wrote that 2TB file Very Happy
by the way that was a joke :D ...and at no ones expense

davesurrey

#72 Post by davesurrey »

Yes so was mine...you did see the smiley didn't you?
Well off to my ancient world of friendly people
But I think that looked a bit barbed? Hope I'm wrong.
Dave

mikeb

#73 Post by mikeb »

Ah the old trick of putting a smiley at the end of a comment so no one is really sure how serious you are being :D

well I'm laughing my socks off :D

I must pop by and see you some day as I live nearby...it would be fun :D

mike

ps I forgot that last smiley ... dealt with it :D

davesurrey

#74 Post by davesurrey »

No old trick..just being honest ...in fact you were the one to start with smileys so perhaps you know the "trick" better than I.

But you seems to want to make a point. So go right ahead. It'll get your post count right up. I'll not bother Mike.

Just one last thing if you are going to give it out then learn to take it as well.

And as you yourself said the other day.
don't insult me again
Night. Sleep well.

mikeb

#75 Post by mikeb »

I thought the definition of a troll was someone or several people who went around winding up individuals with personal remarks.

So I guess the invite for a brew is cancelled then :cry:

I shall return to technical matters as I tried to earlier and sorry to have upset you and yer mates day :roll:

Honesty is my only policy

mike

rjbrewer

#76 Post by rjbrewer »

mikeb wrote:I thought the definition of a troll was someone or several people who went around winding up individuals with personal remarks.
I was born under a bridge in San Fransisco; am I not a troll?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

mikeb

#77 Post by mikeb »

I was born under a bridge in San Fransisco; am I not a troll?
rofl......now who's been trip trapping over your bridge?

mike

rjbrewer

#78 Post by rjbrewer »

Just a little fib I was told as a child;
not too far off though; Mare Island Naval Hospital.

Full installs

mikeb

#79 Post by mikeb »

Naval Hospital
now that sounds like a good place to have babies :)

mike

actually I think this topic just got dumped under the same bridge

rjbrewer

#80 Post by rjbrewer »

The island got decommissioned, nothing under the bridges now
but Grubs!

Full installs