FATGamesPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Ivansampa

#21 Post by Ivansampa »

SteveHoffmanUK

#22 Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

gillmaus

I'm a Puppy newbie but a seasoned user of Linux Mint. Have been very impressed and amazed at Puppy 4.3.1.

I was very excited when I read about your games compilation, because my daughter had just given me an old Toshiba Tecra 8000 and asked whether I could make it usable by her 3 1/2 year old son, who is becoming a bit of a computer whizz at nursery school (!). Your solution fits me to a T.

So I burned a CD of FATGamesPup but, it has failed to boot. One disk I ran has a kernel panic and the other one hangs when it searches for video devices. Now obviously that points to a bad download or bad CD burn but I haven't been able to run MD5checksum on them because I can't find out how to do MD5checksums.

ON EDIT:

Sidders has saved the day with his Hansamben derivative (see other message), so I won't be pursuing this any more.

If I search the forums, I find MD5 everywhere, but the messages all say "run MD5 checksum on it". Thanks, but nowhere can I find a Howto for actually running it. Which program do I use? I burned with Brasero and asked it to verify, but then it wouldn't allow me access to the CD file, even when I ran it as root. Very frustrating.

Any suggestions or some help with the MD5 would be appreciated. Sorry I am such a newbie about such things.

TekVahana

#23 Post by TekVahana »

SteveHoffmanUK wrote:
If I search the forums, I find MD5 everywhere, but the messages all say "run MD5 checksum on it". Thanks, but nowhere can I find a Howto for actually running it. Which program do I use? I burned with Brasero and asked it to verify, but then it wouldn't allow me access to the CD file, even when I ran it as root. Very frustrating.

Any suggestions or some help with the MD5 would be appreciated. Sorry I am such a newbie about such things.
I don't know how everyone does it, but I just navigate to the directory containing the file to be checked in a terminal window and type 'md5sum a space and the name of the file' and hit enter. A few seconds later the md5 sum of the file is displayed. (The bigger the file the longer it takes.) Then I compare the results to the text file that has the md5 sum to make sure it matches exactly. Hope that helps, Steve.
Last edited by TekVahana on Wed 09 Dec 2009, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

TekVahana

#24 Post by TekVahana »

puppyiso wrote:The downloaded size seen by a Chinese Windows XP in a PC internetbar here in somewhere city in China is;

472,602,624 bite which means 450MB. But isn't it supposed to be 470MB?

Is the downloaded size correct?

The internet connection is too slow to download something like 470MB so I went out this incredibly cold day to download in a Chinese PC bar.

I have downloaded again but the file size is the same.

I jut wanna know what others got for the file size.

Plaese someone verify the file size.

John
Don't forget that a kilobyte is actually 1,024 bytes, and a megabyte is actually 1,048,576 bytes so for large files it may look a little off while actually being the correct size.