plaguedogs

spup-451

#1 Post by plaguedogs »

* spdp-451.iso ae35ce929a811073c1f68698771df8ac
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a2d1235/n/spdp-451.iso
* spdp_devx_451.sfs 1606d8e670c21f3c468716dd94d0608b
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a2d13f2 ... vx_451.sfs

Puppy Linux based on Slackware 12.2
kernel 2.6.30.5, about 125 megs. im calling this alpha 3. if your afraid of alphas, go ahead and call it a beta if that makes you happy.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a1dd094/n/spup-451.iso

alpha 4 is on the way using the woof tarball that bk released yesterday. i would like to use a different kernel.......easier said than done.

devx from alpha 1, it should work fine
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a064g15 ... 6_30_5_sfs one may need to rename it to devx_451.sfs

kernel sources
http://www.puppylinux.com/sources/kernel-2.6.30.5/

some md5s
dea85f809ab969ed2f04433b4c6d8f7a spup-451.iso
0d58b111643d90d661b73eec94fddb7e devx_432a

pet for zpm and pkgtools. to install txz(slackware current) and tlz(zenwalk) packages.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=23157

if you want to read a little about the development, the thread is here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48040

i know filefactory is not ideal, but it works for me. scroll to the bottom of the page, click download now, scroll down again and wait 30 seconds.
Last edited by plaguedogs on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

elraven

spup-451

#2 Post by elraven »

hi plaguedogs :D
I've been test running spup-451 . it seems to agree with my ten year old compaq presario p3 450. Network does its usual magic loading the right module and getting me out on the net.. The firewall also does its happy little thing and protects me. what can i say ? it's running smooth and easy . There's no big strain on my 384megs ram. As for the slackware packages in puppy package manager, they install nice and easy . I like the feel of 451 and the penguin wall paper rocks . I've been running live cd cause i only got a ten gig hd ,but who knows i just might try a hd install. oh and you were right about renaming the compilers to devx-451 . They popped up in terminal just like they should. Well, won't talk your ears off , keep up the good work and rock on ! 8)
elraven

plaguedogs

#3 Post by plaguedogs »

the penguin came from mandrivia, i like how it fits into the default icon layout, it seems to compliment them nicely.

if you try a full hd install, let the installer run its course....then it will freeze your desktop, or at least it does for me. ctrl+alt+backspace to a terminal.
xwin back in. unmount your target partition, and run grub from the menu.

thanks for the input.
pd

gerry

#4 Post by gerry »

I went to the File Factory website: how do I download spup? Do I have to open an account? Or join?

gerry

plaguedogs

#5 Post by plaguedogs »

no you dont need an account. use the link at the top of my first post.
scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "download now with file factory basic" scroll to the bottom again, there is a 30 second timer, when the timer expires, its replaced with text that reads "download with filefactory basic or upgrade to premium" click the download with basic text and the download will start.
this puplet has not generated a lot of interest, which sort of surprises me; doesn't everybody use slackware?
my next build will be 2.6.29.6 kernel, with opera, wine, psx, and some other stuff. mainly a cheated virtual box module. 2.6.29.6 src refuses to build one for me so i took one from a different install and did an "insmod" and it worked.
i will do a 2.6.30.5 or 31.5 for my other boxes, but my main machine needs 29.6. i will put these on file factory for my own convenience, but will post the links here for anyone else whos interested.
pd

James C

#6 Post by James C »

Just downloaded and planning to do a frugal install on my test box tomorrow. Looks pretty good on a quick live test run.... :)

No problem with file factory, download worked fine.

gposil

#7 Post by gposil »

Last edited by gposil on Sat 28 Nov 2009, 11:40, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

Hooray!

Thanks gposil. Even though I've used file factory, it wasn't playing well for me today. Download broke 3 times..

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gerry

#9 Post by gerry »

@Plaguedog- no, we don't all use Slackware, I don't because I could never work out how to install it. I am surprised that there is little interest. I have an extremely minimal install of Debian Lenny, (minimal because the computer crashed near the end of a full Gnome-Lenny install). It works well, boots faster than Puppy Live. BUT it is very sparse, and I can't find things like pmount in the repos- any useful little thing like that either doesn't exist, or comes as part of Gnome/KDE. One thing that strikes me is that the Debian people do like to customise apps, whereas I understand that Slackware use apps in their native state, which I reckon should make spup easier to maintain than dpup.

gerry

elraven

spup451

#10 Post by elraven »

hi plaguedogs :D
i'm still running spup 451. I agree with gerry about installing stuff from slackware. Most of the headaches of past tries have to do with dependacies or the lack of finding them . many are use to "like myself" apt-get from debian. I've been exposed to gslapt and slapt-get too however. Don't get discouraged interest in spup will grow. Remember there are other puppies running around the kennel at present both new and patched. I personally would like to learn more about spup and help where I can. I'm still in a learning curve with slackware so be patient with me :) I like the feel and smoothness of spup , such things aren't easy to duplicate. I'm sure you have had many moments when you would like to bang your head against the keyboard, but just hang on. You have friends and more will show.
elraven 8)

01micko

#11 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm

plaguedogs.. is that the latest md5sum? (for alpa3?)

I got "ffd7284dbd3cf91835a6356ad092911b spup-451.iso" just got from gposil's site. The filesize seems correct. I'll burn to a cd-rw and give it a spin anyway.

brb

EDIT: (10 mins later) posting from spup-451 now.. no immediate problems. Will report more late. Nice work!

Cheers

plaguedogs

#12 Post by plaguedogs »

thanks for the support guys, especially gposil for hosting my iso. so im still working on getting my 2.6.29.6 built, i also have a lot on my plate in real life. i really enjoy puppy and slackware and will make time to continue this project. hopefully one day someone could look at the hacked scripts from the other thread (slackware puplet, back to the drawing board) and get a slable build from slack 13 pkgs. is everyone happy with the package manager? im not. i had to use files from a different build to make it work and its not using the repos like i want it to. on the other hand it seems to work a lot like the upup package manager, so maybe it is what it is.

im quite busy today, so ill get back to this when i can.

if you do a furgal and look at "NEWGRUBTEXT" you will notice that nosmp is passed, delete that if you have dual core. i think this is standard in puppy since the smp kernels came out.

-edit

dea85f809ab969ed2f04433b4c6d8f7a spup-451.iso is what i have.
i wonder what thats all about, maybe file factory scrambled the iso

-edit again

im really pressed for time right now but, i will dowload a copy from file factory and md5 it to see what happens, i might have to get a good copy uploaded, ill post back tonight.

01micko

#13 Post by 01micko »

Weird about the check sum, but this seems to work fine.

Immediate bugs,

Menu icons.. yes I had that before in spups but didn't fix it. Will take a look.

Pictureviewer not working. Just symlink to libpoppler-glib.so.3.0.0 with libpoppler-glib.so.4 and it works. I changed "defaultimageviewer" to fotoxx anyway.

Two menu entries for geany.. one is in utilities, it seems like a Slackware thing.

Nicoedit fails... libs and other things.

Anyway, just some things to look at before you upload the next version.

Cheers

plaguedogs

#14 Post by plaguedogs »

micko, your post was exactly what i was looking for. funny thing, i had that libpoppler thing fixed in my early builds, i guess i overlooked it this time around. epdfview will be broken too, but should work with your aforementioned symlink

nico edit i sort of gave up on, early builds had it removed, i left it in this iso to try to force myself to fix it. i have never used it, i use geany for everything, and e3 for everything without x

as for the menu icons, they are low priority for me, but any suggestions on a fix are welcome.

ill do an alpha 4 based on this with bugfixes. the latest woof has changed a little so ill get to that another day. my personal build with an older kernel, wine opera and vbox, will get a different version name, probably spdp-45x.

i am excited to see some feedback and will do what i can to keep this going.
thanks everyone

btw, im still getting the same md5 as i always did,
dea85f809ab969ed2f04433b4c6d8f7a

pd

01micko

#15 Post by 01micko »

hi plaguedogs

funny that md5sum issue, anyway let's not worry too much about that.

I'll see if I can find some other niggly bugs and let you know, and if I can, fix them too 8) I do like the wallpapers you included.

Looking forward to the next beta. BTW, contact gposil and I'm sure you'll be able to upload directly to gposil.com. We don't mind using wget to download. :)

Cheers

James C

#16 Post by James C »

I just completed a frugal install on my P3 test box.Everything went smoothly. :)

Already installed pets for Firefox 3.5 and Kazehakase.....both browsers working fine so far.

On to the testing......

plaguedogs

#17 Post by plaguedogs »

the frugal installer works good with the replaced grub wizard. full hd is a little sketchy but still works, did i put that in a previous post? im all caught up in real life today but, tomorrow im going to make a pet for libpopplers missing link. can i make a pet with just a link? or do i need to put the file and the link? ill find out tomorrow.
make easy, make nice.

pd (slacker)

-edit
i guess linking libs to older ones is cheating, maybe ill just use the correct poppler from slackware.
Last edited by plaguedogs on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

I suppose you could make an empty pet with a pininstall.sh script running "ln"... but why not just make a script, tar it up and all a user has to do is click a few times to untar it and then click the script.

01micko

#19 Post by 01micko »

Hmmmmmm...

That darn menu-icon bug.. I think it is to do with the icon_swithcer_cli script created especially for the jQ8 icons.. now it's kind of a guess, but if you made them the default when constructing from woof the bug might disappear... wishful thinking but possible. It's really a woof bug.

In /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps (the read only layer) there are are bunch of *24x24.png files at 0 bytes ... they are represented as text files. AFAIK they shouldn't be there at all, just the "fill in" 24x24 icons... ie the ones with no representation of a menu item. (games24x24 is one.) I checked in the dpup.fs and the 431.sfs and they don't exist.. they are possibly created by the pinstall script for the jq8 icons.. which I haven't looked at. Anyway, if you edit the iso before upload deleting those 24x24 icons I think that would fix it. You can't delete them, they come back, (not in a frugal or live anyway). You could in a full.

Not much progress but at least some ideas.

Cheers

LATER... I just built an spup.. similar problems with libs and the darn icons in the menu.. deleted the jQ8 set ( in the build distro stage ) .. no difference.... hmmm... back to the drawing board? :lol:

plaguedogs

#20 Post by plaguedogs »

here is a quick fix for libpopler

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#plaguedogs backwards bugfix for epdfview in spup-451 alpha3.  2009/12/02.
cd /usr/lib
ln -s libpoppler-glib.so.3.0.0 libpoppler-glib.so.4
#eof
......im really busy right now, this is my 10 minute window to compute while dinner simmers.