Setting up modem

Booting, installing, newbie
Eastern Counties

Setting up modem

#1 Post by Eastern Counties »

Could someone let me know the commands to setup an external modem? I am using Puppy 1.0.7 and can't get the modem wizard to recognise it. I have been gleaning stuff from forums, but don't really know what I am doing and haven't had any success.

I have a Sitecom external serial modem connected to a USB port on my laptop via an FTDI adapter. This all works fine on my Red Hat 9 partition.

In Puppy, if I run cat /proc/pci, I get:

Bus 0, device 8, function 0:
Communication controller: PCI device 11c1:0420 (Lucent
Microelectronics) (rev 0).
IRQ 11.
Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xefffff00 [0xefffffff].
I/O at 0xff78 [0xff7f].
I/O at 0xfe00 [0xfeff].
I/O at 0x9400 [0x9401].

Since my internal modem is a Winmodem, I am assuming this is my external Sitecom.

According to dmesg, the FTDI adapter connection is ttyUSB0.

But if I then run:

# setserial /dev/ttyUSBo port 0xff78 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig

I get:

'Cannot get serial info: Inappropriate loctl for device'

Is there a different set of commands?

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

You can't have an external serial modem connected through a USB port behaving as an external serial modem without some sort of SW work-around; presumably, this is what RH is doing. The OS sees the USB port, as reported in your dmesg script. Either you have an external serial modem connected to a serial port (the type you need) or you have a USB modem connected via a USB port(the one to avoid) which is a form of Winmodem. Sooner you dump everything to do with M$, sooner you'll make some progress! If you haven't got a serial port on your laptop, you made a bad purchasing decision (along with millions of others). Intel, Dell, M$ want to eliminate the serial port (as well as the FDD), becasue it costs them an extra ten cents and allows Linux folk to access their domain!

Eastern Counties

#3 Post by Eastern Counties »

Thanks for your reply

As regards purchasing decisions, I am not in the financial situation to make any - I am just trying to get Puppy to work with what I already have.

I see your username is Sage. What a pity we don't all have your wisdom.

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

Ah, yes - Mr Hobson had the same problem with his choice.
Maybe you could sell it on eBay and buy a real one?!