Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 16:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x
Dpup482-beta5 testing
Moderators: BarryK, Lobster
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 11 of 37 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
musher0

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 22:22    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
Hi all,

I've been playing again with icewm.

Did anyone notice sometimes the little black window in the top left? I wasn't getting it in beta 4 but I am now. It seems it is due to absvolume. Now absvolume is loaded in '.xinitrc' about midway through. The only way I can think of to kill it is to add a line killing it before and only before Icewm loads, it must be specific for icewm or it might bork other wms. [...]

Cheers

Mick

Hi, Mick, and anybody interested.

Just the record, you can use your famous one-liner
` cat /etc/windowmanager | head -c 3`
in a special script in Startup for particular wm's, if you have more than one wm. It could be used to launch various companion programs for a wm. For example, I use this, which is triggered when echinus is launched:

-=-=-=-=-
#!/bin/bash
# demarre_echinus.sh, dans / in Startup
# Pour appui à echinus

CURRENTWM=""
CURRENTWM=`cat /etc/windowmanager | head -c 3`

if [ "$CURRENTWM" = "ech" ];then
rox -t=en-haut &
rox -p=/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/echinusPin &
sleep 1.5s
/usr/local/bin/ourico &
sleep 1s
[...]

fi
-=-=-=-=-

I have one for pekwm, one for jwm, etc. I try to fiddle as less as possible with BK's .xinitrc, and I discovered this was a handy work-around. I'm talking in general terms here, of course.

In icewm, maybe you could put icewm's own startup file to good use (at ~/.icewm/startup). Just a thought.

Good luck!

vtpup

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 22:29    Post_subject:  

A couple of small things:

1.) I had some oddness occuring with the Puppy Package Manager, but it seems to have straightened itself out. I recently updated the program lists and ended up with two puppy 3s and puppy 2, and two of the lenny repositories. I really wanted puppy 5,4, qnd 3, and the two lennys. So I ticked the appropriate checkboxes, and hit okay.

But instead, I only got puppy 2 and the two lennys. Closing and re-starting the PPM made no difference. I closed it again, and did some studying in the browser on graphics problems. Later opened the PPM and now it showed the right repos.

I don't know how to give steps to reproduce that error. Or why it took awhile to correct itself.

2.) Firefox now opens in "Chromifox Basic" Theme. This theme seems to lack a "Recent Pages" function. It just single steps back with the "Go Back One Page" button.

If I switch to the "Default" theme, the "Recent Pages" button (triangle, or twistie) is available again.
vtpup

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 22:40    Post_subject:  

gposil wrote:
To All Dpup devs...and interested parties.

Could you guys give me a list of pets we want at the ibiblio Dpup PPM repository...Check what is there now...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-5/

Cheers
Guy

Seamonkey
VLC
K3b
vmware player
Unison (heh, well, naturally)
Wacom
Qcad
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 23:00    Post_subject:  

Hi musher0

Glad you could make use of that snippet of code Wink

Ah, the icewm bug.. it really makes little difference where the call is made from, be it ~/Startup or the ~/.icewm/startup script.. the problem still arises. That little window appears. And it's difficult to get rid of! Hiding it is a workaround but not a solution. The actual call of "icewm-session" is from .xinitrc.

That little window has been a problem for me, and some others for a long time in puppy. Sometimes it would appear, sometimes not. If you had a heavyweight theme it would slow down loading of Icewm and it wouldn't appear, switch to a light one and it's back. Always perplexed me. Work arounds with sleeps and such often would appear to fix the issue. I tought it was gone when I compiled icewm on beta 4, but it's not really an icewm bug, it's a Puppy bug.

I discovered the fix quite by accident, and if gposil didn't change the absvolume icon I would not have discovered it.. absvolume loads faster with the lighter icon, it appears before the icewm tray is killed... got me thinking.. is that the app behind that window? It certainly seems so but it is difficult (for me anyway Laughing ) to prove, so I used the "trial and error" method !!! Well now I have no little black window and no other problems with icewm.

Actually, there is a bug in .xinitrc that I just discovered... (thanks Christian Cool ), whoever wrote the code is testing for "icewm" in /etc/windowmanager... as we've been through, it could be "icewm" or "icewm-session". The script then goes on to execute either 'fbpanel' and 'lxpanel' (lucky they aren't present) even if "icewm-session" is the output of "cat /etc/windowmanager".. better inform the powers that be... gposil? Reading this?

I'll let technosaurus know too.

Cheers

01micko

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 23:05    Post_subject:  

vtpup wrote:
gposil wrote:
To All Dpup devs...and interested parties.

Could you guys give me a list of pets we want at the ibiblio Dpup PPM repository...Check what is there now...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-5/

Cheers
Guy

Seamonkey
VLC
K3b
vmware player
Unison (heh, well, naturally)
Wacom
Qcad

.. since we have 'dbus', we would want a seamonkey with dbus support... yeah? And a menu entry Wink

Jim1911

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 23:17    Post_subject: More test feedback  

Thoroughly enjoying the speed, stability, and new features such as the ease of customization. Testing is still in progress.

Minor problems:
1. After changes/additions to dpup and a reboot, all icons return to the desktop. This clutters up the desktop and covers part of wbar. Icons can be removed by using Re-run First Start Wizard, unfortunately, the re-run also removes any icons that have been added to the desktop and resets wallpaper to default. Haven't identified the exact changes that results in this but some have been to wbar.

2. Control Panel's Scanner program fails to recognize my HP5280 all-in-one usb printer, copier, scanner.

Added software and associated problems/corrections:

1. Unable to get an Amarok.sfs4 that works with pup431 to work, it has the following message: KLibLoader could not load the plugin: libamarok_xine-engine
Error message:
libxine.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Amarok appears to work after installing missing files, however it will not play music and provides no additional error messages other than the music files are not supported. Music files tried are imported by itunes and play fine under pup431 using the same sfs.

2. Installed gnome-games-Lite_2.26.1-i486-uj using ppm. It is missing libltdl.so.7. All games appear to work fine after renaming libltdl.so.3 in /usr/lib/ to libltdl.so.7.

3. Installed Bibletime 1.6.5 using ppm. It is missing libcurl-gnutis.so.4. After, installing the link libcurl-gnutis.so.4 and the linked file libcurl-gnutis.so.4.1.0 to usr/lib, it works fine.

4. Installed Amsn using ppm which works fine.

Cheers, Smile
Jim
gposil

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 23:37    Post_subject:  

Thanks for the great reports guy...

First Amarok...Dpup does not use or have the xine engine, it is mplayer. So the Pup431 sfs needs to be reworked to take that into account.

I will upload the Dpup version Gnome games Lite...

Please remember, that any -uj file in the Puppy repo, will almost certainly not work work out of the box in Dpup, they have to be re-jigged slightly, I just haven't got around to it yet....

More to come.

gposil

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 23:57    Post_subject:  

Jim1911 said:
Quote:
2. Installed gnome-games-Lite_2.26.1-i486-uj using ppm. It is missing libltdl.so.7. All games appear to work fine after renaming libltdl.so.3 in /usr/lib/ to libltdl.so.7

You need the original libltdl.so.3, libtdl7 is a slightly different library, it is here ..http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-5/libltdl7-2.2.6a-dpup.pet

Cheers
Guy

01micko

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 23:57    Post_subject:  

Jim..

The wbar patches should fix your issue with the icons.. see first page, I'm trying to rationalise Wink . Instead of fixes spread throughout the thread I posted them in my post on Page 1, third post

Cheers

musher0

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 23:58    Post_subject:  

-=-=-=-=-=-
> 01micko says:
Actually, there is a bug in .xinitrc that I just discovered... (thanks Christian ), whoever wrote the code is testing for "icewm" in /etc/windowmanager... as we've been through, it could be "icewm" or "icewm-session". The script then goes on to execute either 'fbpanel' and 'lxpanel' (lucky they aren't present) even if "icewm-session" is the output of "cat /etc/windowmanager".. better inform the powers that be... gposil? Reading this?
-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm not sure I'm following you. Actually, the test if for NOT having jwm or ice* as a wm. (For the newbies, "!=" is a "IS NOT" statement.)

Lines 130-133 of .xinitrc :
-=-=-=-=-=-
#only launch tray for w.m. without inbuilt tray...
if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "jwm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm-session" ];then
[ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && fbpanel &
[ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
fi
-=-=-=-=-=-
In plain language, that's: if the window manager is not jwm, not icewm, and not icewm-session, then launch fbpanel AND lxpanel. It insists too, to check that these panels are present, with the -f statement. If you have none, or only one, you can say: "Phew!".

One of those two lines should really be commented out, or there should be another if statement about them. In DOS, you have the GOTO statement, but I don't know the equivalent in bash (sorry). So there could be a statement saying,
[ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && fbpanel & -- then "goto" rest of program,
and you'd skip the lxpanel statement.

If someone has both panels installed, with the above lines, the two panels would theoretically be loaded! Yoohoo! 2 panels for the price of 1, ladies and gentlemen! Look at the nice bargain we have for you! Shocked

But then, the poor end-user wouln't know what hit the desktop, though...

It's something I discovered accidentally too, 'cause echinus is incompatible with lxpanel, so I commented out the lxpanel line.

My 2 cents. BFN.

01micko

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 00:11    Post_subject:  

musher0 wrote:
-=-=-=-=-=-
> 01micko says:
Actually, there is a bug in .xinitrc that I just discovered... (thanks Christian ), whoever wrote the code is testing for "icewm" in /etc/windowmanager... as we've been through, it could be "icewm" or "icewm-session". The script then goes on to execute either 'fbpanel' and 'lxpanel' (lucky they aren't present) even if "icewm-session" is the output of "cat /etc/windowmanager".. better inform the powers that be... gposil? Reading this?
-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm not sure I'm following you. Actually, the test if for NOT having jwm or ice* as a wm. (For the newbies, "!=" is a "IS NOT" statement.)

Lines 130-133 of .xinitrc :
-=-=-=-=-=-
if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "jwm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm-session" ];then
[ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && fbpanel &
[ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
fi
-=-=-=-=-=-
In plain language, that's: if the window manager is not jwm, not icewm, and not icewm-session, then launch fbpanel AND lxpanel. It insists too, to check that these panels are present, with the -f statement. If you have none, or only one, you can say: "Phew!".

One of those two lines should really be commented out, or there should be another if statement about them. In DOS, you have the GOTO statement, but I don't know the equivalent in bash (sorry). So there could be a statement saying,
[ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && fbpanel & -- then "goto" rest of program,
and you'd skip the lxpanel statement.

If someone has both panels installed, with the above lines, the two panels would theoretically be loaded! Yoohoo! 2 panels for the price of 1, ladies and gentlemen! Look at the nice bargain we have for you! Shocked

But then, the poor end-user wouln't know what hit the desktop, though...

It's something I discovered accidentally too, 'cause echinus is incompatible with lxpanel, so I commented out the lxpanel line.

My 2 cents. BFN.

Yes, I should have mentioned the "!="... I see you added the "-a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm-session" bit to the test in your ~/.xinitrc..appears to be nice a fix. Smile

Though a bargain it may seem, it would not be cheap at half the price..

Cheers

01micko

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 01:28    Post_subject:  

Hmmm.. yes, I've no idea if lxpanel and fbpanel are interdependent but I suspect not..

Code:

if [ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && ; then
     fbpanel &
   elif [ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && ; then
     lxpanel &
   fi
fi

Maybe that would do it... "elif" means " else if"

The original author seems to assume that you would have either lxpanel or fbpanel and not both.

musher0

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 01:31    Post_subject:  

Hello, to follow suit on the two panels confusion, here's what I can come up with. It works, replacing lines 129 to 135 of .xinitrc by:

-=-=-=-=-
#v3.95 support fbpanel tray/taskbar...
if [ -x /usr/bin/fbpanel ];then
fbpanel &
else
[ -x /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
fi
# [ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && fbpanel &
# [ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
# musher0 : changé parce que lxpanel est incompatible avec echinus et pour éviter les surprises.
# / changed because lspanel is incompatible with echinus and to avoid surprises.
fi
-=-=-=-=-=-

if-then-else is the linux-bash goto statement, incidentally.

I first tried with a dummy file named edit (which didn't exist) and geany as the second element, and it worked. Geany launched ok.

And now with the above, which is now active in my .xinitrc, and it works!

The above lines do not take into consideration if the user has the two and wants to use lxpanel instead, but it will certainly avoid confusion on the desktop.

Enjoy!

PS. Mick, I didn't use your famous one-liner on purpose, to keep things focused on this problem.

musher0

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 01:31    Post_subject:  

Great minds meet! Very Happy
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 01:39    Post_subject:  

@01micko:
No, fbpanel and lxpanel are entirely separate programs. Although, historically, lxpanel is derived from fbpanel, lxpanel's menu and such are incompatible with fbpanel's. (Says the lxpanel doc.)

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 11 of 37 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum