Dpup482-beta5 testing

01micko

#161 Post by 01micko »

musher0 wrote:-=-=-=-=-=-
> 01micko says:
Actually, there is a bug in .xinitrc that I just discovered... (thanks Christian ), whoever wrote the code is testing for "icewm" in /etc/windowmanager... as we've been through, it could be "icewm" or "icewm-session". The script then goes on to execute either 'fbpanel' and 'lxpanel' (lucky they aren't present) even if "icewm-session" is the output of "cat /etc/windowmanager".. better inform the powers that be... gposil? Reading this?
-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm not sure I'm following you. Actually, the test if for NOT having jwm or ice* as a wm. (For the newbies, "!=" is a "IS NOT" statement.)

Lines 130-133 of .xinitrc :
-=-=-=-=-=-
#only launch tray for w.m. without inbuilt tray...
if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "jwm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm-session" ];then
[ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && fbpanel &
[ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
fi
-=-=-=-=-=-
In plain language, that's: if the window manager is not jwm, not icewm, and not icewm-session, then launch fbpanel AND lxpanel. It insists too, to check that these panels are present, with the -f statement. If you have none, or only one, you can say: "Phew!".

One of those two lines should really be commented out, or there should be another if statement about them. In DOS, you have the GOTO statement, but I don't know the equivalent in bash (sorry). So there could be a statement saying,
[ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && fbpanel & -- then "goto" rest of program,
and you'd skip the lxpanel statement.

If someone has both panels installed, with the above lines, the two panels would theoretically be loaded! Yoohoo! 2 panels for the price of 1, ladies and gentlemen! Look at the nice bargain we have for you! :shock:

But then, the poor end-user wouln't know what hit the desktop, though...

It's something I discovered accidentally too, 'cause echinus is incompatible with lxpanel, so I commented out the lxpanel line.

My 2 cents. BFN.
Yes, I should have mentioned the "!="... I see you added the "-a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm-session" bit to the test in your ~/.xinitrc..appears to be nice a fix. :)

Though a bargain it may seem, it would not be cheap at half the price..

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#162 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm.. yes, I've no idea if lxpanel and fbpanel are interdependent but I suspect not..

Code: Select all

if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "jwm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm-session" ];then
   if [ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && ; then
     fbpanel &
   elif [ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && ; then
     lxpanel &
   fi
fi 
Maybe that would do it... "elif" means " else if"

The original author seems to assume that you would have either lxpanel or fbpanel and not both.

musher0

#163 Post by musher0 »

Hello, to follow suit on the two panels confusion, here's what I can come up with. It works, replacing lines 129 to 135 of .xinitrc by:

-=-=-=-=-
#v3.95 support fbpanel tray/taskbar...
if [ -x /usr/bin/fbpanel ];then
fbpanel &
else
[ -x /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
fi
# [ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && fbpanel &
# [ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
# musher0 : changé parce que lxpanel est incompatible avec echinus et pour éviter les surprises.
# / changed because lspanel is incompatible with echinus and to avoid surprises.
fi
-=-=-=-=-=-

if-then-else is the linux-bash goto statement, incidentally.

I first tried with a dummy file named edit (which didn't exist) and geany as the second element, and it worked. Geany launched ok.

And now with the above, which is now active in my .xinitrc, and it works!

The above lines do not take into consideration if the user has the two and wants to use lxpanel instead, but it will certainly avoid confusion on the desktop.

Enjoy!

PS. Mick, I didn't use your famous one-liner on purpose, to keep things focused on this problem.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#164 Post by musher0 »

Great minds meet! :D
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#165 Post by musher0 »

@01micko:
No, fbpanel and lxpanel are entirely separate programs. Although, historically, lxpanel is derived from fbpanel, lxpanel's menu and such are incompatible with fbpanel's. (Says the lxpanel doc.)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

aragon

#166 Post by aragon »

musher0 & micko,

fi 
in my opinion it is not wise, that these line are in .xintrc at all. it makes more sense (to me) to launch them with a starter in /root/Startup if they exist. same thing for other apps that are launched from within .xinitrc. But maybe this is a timing issue, because they have to be launched before the wm (mostly jwm) is run.

but if you use alternative wm like echinus or awesome you allways have to edit .xintrc (for example to disable absvolume).

aragon

01micko

#167 Post by 01micko »

Hi aragon

I tend to agree that certain calls don't really belong in .xinitrc.

It would seem that JWM is the only one needing absvolume before it loads. I wonder how we can get around this..

Cheers

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#168 Post by Béèm »

gposil wrote:Thanks for the great reports guy...

First Amarok...Dpup does not use or have the xine engine, it is mplayer. So the Pup431 sfs needs to be reworked to take that into account.
I took the libxine library from puppy 431but got the message no xine engine was found

I installed gxine then, but now I get

# gxine
gxine: warning: File creation error: Couldn't create /root/.config/gxine: Invalid cross-device link.
Configuration, playlist and media marks will not be saved.
bind: No such file or directory
audio driver auto failed
gxine: error: Fatal error: No audio output driver could be loaded.
#
Well so far for my testing
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#169 Post by Béèm »

musher0 wrote:
gposil wrote:Thanks guys, for all the good feedback...

Has anyone done any more testing on jrb's SFS-Linker...I think it has to be in Dpup if we can get it right. The ability to load and unload SFS's on the fly will add a completely new dimension...

CatDude and dejan555...thanks...
I guess I somehow prompted jrb to modify it for us...
See here, 1st post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 30&t=46626

In Dpup, one would use the SFS_Linker-no_def-1.1.pet, rather than the linker for Puppy 4.3x. The latter ran over most of our default* in /usr/local/bin. The "no-def" version leaves them alone. I checked and the "no-def" version worked fine for one of coolpup's openoffice sfs. Can't vouch for any other of those specially made sfs's, though.
Tried with a another sfs also and it loaded correctly. Seems to be a tool to must have.
For ease of use, I configured a tray button for it.
Time savers:

gposil

#170 Post by gposil »

Béèm said:
Tried with a another sfs also and it loaded correctly. Seems to be a tool to must have.
Totally agree Béèm, a great tool, tray idea is what we'll do I think.

Cheers
Guy
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

01micko

#171 Post by 01micko »

musher0

You've convinced me to move the ice startup file out of ~/startup into ~/.icewm, just had to fiddle with the timings (and delete the oneliner :o ) :lol:

Also, a more elegant solution to the absvolume issue with icewm and the call from .xinitrc...

#v3.91 volume tray applet, thanks to hairywill... v3.96 MENU_BG variable...
if [ "$CURRENTWM" = "jwm" ];then
	if [ -f /usr/bin/absvolume ];then
	absvolume &	
	fi
fi
No need to kill it before Icewm loads.

I know many wms have their own volume applets, or they can have absvolume load later. I tried to <Swallow> absvolume.. in Jwm, a dismal failure, I guess it has been tried, or else that would be the solution.

Béèm

#172 Post by Béèm »

gposil wrote:Béèm said:
Totally agree Béèm, a great tool, tray idea is what we'll do I think.

Cheers
Guy
For the time being this is what I use:

<TrayButton popup="SFS Linker" icon="mini-fdisk.xpm">exec:my_links.sh</TrayButton>
Time savers:

Béèm

Freememapplet not displaying

#173 Post by Béèm »

When restarting JWM the freememapplet doesn't always come back in the system tray.
Saw that issue in other puppies as well.
Is there a fix for it?
Time savers:

Jim1911

#174 Post by Jim1911 »

After changes/additions to dpup and a reboot, all icons return to the desktop. This clutters up the desktop and covers part of wbar. Icons can be removed by using Re-run First Start Wizard, unfortunately, the re-run also removes any icons that have been added to the desktop and resets wallpaper to default. Haven't identified the exact changes that results in this but some have been to wbar.
The wbar patches should fix your issue with the icons.. see first page, I'm trying to rationalise Wink . Instead of fixes spread throughout the thread I posted them in my post on Page 1, third post
@01micko,

I had already installed your patch. I had the same problem with the icons this morning and did not use wbar. These steps caused this instance of the icon problem: Trying to get Amarok to work, I installed it using ppm, which didn't work so I uninstalled it using ppm. Then I used boot manager to select an Amarok sfs4 and rebooted. The icons then came on as above so wbar isn't the cause.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim1911

#175 Post by Jim1911 »

gposil wrote:Thanks for the great reports guy...

First Amarok...Dpup does not use or have the xine engine, it is mplayer. So the Pup431 sfs needs to be reworked to take that into account.
Installed xine and gxine, however xine cannot find any audio drivers.

musher0

#176 Post by musher0 »

aragon wrote:musher0 & micko,

fi 
in my opinion it is not wise, that these line are in .xintrc at all. it makes more sense (to me) to launch them with a starter in /root/Startup if they exist. same thing for other apps that are launched from within .xinitrc. But maybe this is a timing issue, because they have to be launched before the wm (mostly jwm) is run.

but if you use alternative wm like echinus or awesome you allways have to edit .xintrc (for example to disable absvolume).

aragon
Hello, aragon.

Very pleased to "meet" you! :) I'm still struggling with your minimal Puppy 4.21 bb! Nice challenge, this one! Also thanks for the initial multi-exit script and panel for 4.21.

I agree with you generally. I think in this case those lines are where they are because there is a icon-display problem in the fbpanel menu. (At least in Puppy 4.12 version and previous).

Motivation can be timing, some essential things just have to be launched at a precise moment of the start.

But motivation can also be the removal of the decorations of a program.

For example, if you are using echinus or wmx and you want independent utilities such as a clock (xclock) and a tray (stalonetray) on all desktops, you need to start them in .xinitrc, with xnocolor, before the wm is launched. Otherwise the frame of the windows will show, and the utility can be difficult to "stick" in all windows.

For example, echinus uses voluntarily a reduced ECCWM or whatever it's called, and the "sticky" function is non operative, even through wmctrl, in echinus. A trade-off I suppose: if you want an efficient window manager in 21 k, you have to sacrifice something (the "sticky" function)...

BFN.
Last edited by musher0 on Thu 03 Dec 2009, 17:02, edited 2 times in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#177 Post by musher0 »

01micko wrote:musher0

You've convinced me to move the ice startup file out of ~/startup into ~/.icewm, just had to fiddle with the timings (and delete the oneliner :o ) :lol:

(...)
T'was my destiny. Now I can retire in peace. (:-/) (Where's the real "tongue-in-cheek" icon?!) :lol:

But seriously: it works in icewm's own startup? Great!
Come to think of it, wmx has a startup file, too... Hmm... Got to go! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

plankenstein

#178 Post by plankenstein »

@ vtpup,

Right clicking the back arrow brings up the recent history list that you are missing. I just discovered this last night myself. But then again, I was still using beta4 as I don't have my home computer back up yet after the move. Hopefully it hasn't changed and this will work for you.
I carefully plan ALL my random acts! :lol:

ecube

Panel Button problem

#179 Post by ecube »

A minor issue.

"Edit your existing Panel Buttons" in the JWM panel button configuring tool generates and infinity of gtkdialog windows Close or kill have no effect.

"Add a panel button" seems to generate "unstoppable" processes. too.

I appreceate that the size is shown at the desktop drive icons e.g. "Filesystem: ntfs Size: 8.6G". Do you have a patch which I can apply to Puppy 4.3.1 where Size: 0 always is shown.
Attachments
JMWPanelButton.jpg
(28.69 KiB) Downloaded 784 times

musher0

#180 Post by musher0 »

@gposil
and to perhaps other non-anglophone users as well:

Hello. Here's my question:

In the previous beta4 thread, I know you recommended that I add

LC_ALL=C
export LC_ALL

in my /etc/profile file
to solve some unwanted messages from appearing in the console, but

would it be better if I had a profile.local file in /etc, with, in it:

LANG=fr_CA
export LANG
LC_ALL=fr_CA
export LC_ALL
LANGUAGE=fr_CA
export LANGUAGE

(Obviously, people who use their own language would substitute their language code instead of fr_CA.)

I put this together from
http://www.alionet.org/lofiversion/inde ... 25104.html
and
http://linux-attitude.fr/post/La-bonne-langue

Otherwise, conky, for example, resorts to displaying the date in English if I change from one wm to another.

So, what are "the finer points" on this? Thanks in advance.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~