slackpup-130

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
slackerson

slackpup-130

#1 Post by slackerson »

NEW SCRIPTS ADDED.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok i'v posted my modified woof scripts below. the tar file has 1download.slackerson and 2createpackages.slackerson just un tar in your working woof-tree/ dir. but back up your other files first!!

REQUIREMENTS: the only requirement besides a puppy431 development environment and woof is the xz compression app. provided below in the zpm pet by plaguedogs.

OVERVIEW: these scripts support slackware's new txz format as well as the old tgz. if the 2createpackages is aborted mid process then the next time it is run it will start where it left off. and if you make any changes to a pkg spec in the DISTRO_PKGS_SPEC-distro-version file and run the script again it will only build the changes - plus any previously un built pkgs ( which is the default action ). of course entering a single generic pkg name on the command line still builds as expected. and support for barry's new CHANGED_ONLY option is also supported on the command line only i think. i've never used the gui so if anyone finds that it is not working properly with the gui then plz let me know.

**CAUTION** use with care!!

1. don't use Ctrl^C to abort the script. most of the time it will just go on building the next package overwriting a working_pet_pkg or working_distro_pkg file which is the file that houses the pkg spec being worked on when the script quit. putting it into the completed_pkgs-DISTRO_NAME-DISTRO_VERSION file where as the name suggests is where, you guessed it, the completed pkg spec is stored. when in fact the pakg has not been completed

so the best time to halt the building process is during the unpacking stage of a large pkg. this will eliminate any strange behavior.

the best way to halt is in another terminal using kill pid, or simply click on the X to kill the terminal window

2. don't kill the process when layer_rw & layer_top are mounted!! bad things can happen. but if it does happen run the script again and the mess left behind will be cleaned up. then wait for an unpacking stage.

WARNING! for some reason the /usr/sbin/chroot command will disappear on your running puppy env when 2createpackages is stopped while processing acl-2.2.47_1-i486-1.txz in this stage. but if you rebuild it chroot reappears!!!!!!! FUNKY!!!

3 sometimes you still have to manually remove the pkg spec form the .
the completed_pkgs file and rm -rf packages-distro/half_baked_pkg/ dir.
mainly if Ctrl^C is used.

4. as always BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST!!

OK! have fun building slackpups

and let me know of any problems so i can fix them as soon as possible. ( my additions only of course, everything else is barry's domain)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iguleder wrote: Needs xz and a newer tar ... Here it is, from Zenwalk. It will replace your current tar, and because package installation needs tar, you can't use this on your "normal" Puppy ... make a workbench Puppy for spup stuff.

I'm back into spup development ... well, sort of. I've managed to get Woof working with slack 13.0 in November, October ... don't remember. I had some problems with missing packages, I guess I missed the txz/tgz thingy ... I was too busy to fix that one. Thanks for the scripts, slackerson ...

Now I'm motivated to work on spup
thanx for mentioning about the xz app i forgot to inform everyone that it is required.

but i used plaguedogs pkgtools-13.0-zenwalk.pet and had no problem with it working on my normal puppy-431 build system. it also provides all the slackware pkgtools as well.

plz note that tar must work so woof can properly process pet pkgs.

i went ahead and added below. sorry for the confusion.

-
--ORIGINAL POST ------ abridged ---------------- ---------------------------------------------
i am working on a slackpup built from slackware-13.0 packages. i am building it using the latest woof downloaded with the new bones tool. i tweeked the 1download and 2createpackages scripts to be able to handle the txz extention. it can download verifiy and create packages from official 13.0 repositories. the 3builddistro creates all the essential files for booting up a new slackpup-130 puppy!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments
woof-modification-2.tar
just untar in your woof build dir
(70 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
Last edited by slackerson on Fri 18 Dec 2009, 09:47, edited 42 times in total.

Stormson5150

#2 Post by Stormson5150 »

I'm trying the same thing... A security vers, so the most up to date apps would be helpful... Care to share you're tweeks\scripts? :D

slackerson

#3 Post by slackerson »

the text problem was because slackware's pango package was having trouble loading modules. so i had to use the pet package instead now the text is rendering properly.

slackerson

#4 Post by slackerson »

yeah i'll post my changes when i get to a point where they are useful to others.

there are other minor tweaks as well. like changing some variables to better deal with slackware packs. such as the one responsible for writing the packages-txz-13.0 dir to be packages-slackware-13.0 instead. that way the script isn't locked into a particular extension format when looking for packages. this is an issue with slackware-13.0 because there are some packages that are still tgz! important ones like tar, gzip, xz, pkgtools and slackpkg. crazy huh?
not to mention backward compatability to slackware-12.0 and allowing for third party repos.

however the main issue i've run into is knowing which packages not to use in favor of the pet ones and visa versa. apparently woof's slackware building was kinda left incomplete. it doesn't build a very useful pup out of the box. instead it requires a lot of trial and error to figure out how to get the PKGS_SPECS_TABLE var correct.

any advice or suggestions are appreciated. :)

by the way i'm writing this post with my new slackpup-130 running quite smoothly on an eeepc900.
Last edited by slackerson on Sat 12 Dec 2009, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

nancy reagan

did you know this new iso ?

#5 Post by nancy reagan »

Maybe this link could save you work

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49067

slackerson

#6 Post by slackerson »

well he is still working with slackware-12 and i am hacking the woof scripts to be able to create puppys from slackware-13 and newer. but thanks for the input.

lol i had no idea that mrs regan was a puppy linux user. nudge nudge
i think your husband was the best president we've had in the modern era!

at this point i have made all the required changes to allow for downloading, verifying, and installing the new slack pkgs. (as well as maintaining backward compat) as stated above.

what i'm doing now is making some other improvements. for example as anyone who has use woof knows that during the 2createpackages stage its all or one at a time. meaning that if the script is interrupted mid stride you either have to start all over or do the next 50+ pkgs one at a time.
no thanks!
so im adding some tracking ability. where if any pkgs are already processed they are not done again. unless you provide a pkg on command line then it will process again. and the pkg that was half done will be processed again.

im mostly done but still working on it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Great what you're doing guys!

Any improvements, like supporting the new package compression, if you want to feed the changes back to me for incorporation into the official Woof, please do.

Even if you just sent an updated script, I can do a diff with my latest and see what changes you have made, then see if I can put them in.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

puppyiso

#8 Post by puppyiso »

Please clearfy the differencies among other slaxkware related Puppies.

1. FRANKENPUP LINK

-http://riksun.riken.go.jp/pub/pub/Linux ... ware-12.2/
-repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.2/

or any other slackware repository

2. SlackPup (by Bass?)

3. spup-451(by plaguedogs)

Stormson5150

#9 Post by Stormson5150 »

Yes, the slack system is REALLY crazy at the moment... This will of course be fixed in time, and all pkgs will be txz, but slack dev being what it is ( always has been slllooowwwww) I wouldnt look for it to be completely fixed until 14.0....For the time being, and foreseeable future, tgz and txz will both need to be supported...

My idea, that has failed miserably so far, is to replace the standard puppy sandbox with the updated slack packages... Basically creating an up to date, secure, slackware that is cut down to puppy proportions and has the encrypted puppy save file... Of course Berry warned long ago on his blog that this simply wouldnt work, and so far I havent been able to figure out why... Of course BigBass has made it work somehow for slack12, so I am assuming with enough effort current can be made to work as well, I just need to find the time to figure out HOW...

For security reasons one thing that is truly needed is to find a way to incorporate the "patches" repository as well...Also the ability to use slackware-current instead of 13.0. While slackware DEV may be excruciatingly slow, security patches are fairly instantaneous...And will show up in the patches repo first then make they're way into "current". This becomes INCREDIBLY important when dealing with issues such as the recently discovered SSL vulnerability ( http://www.informationweek.com/news/sec ... =221600478 ) that effects all OSs and anyone who has ever so much as checked they're bank balance online...

Of course I LOVE puppy... And use it, in various forms, as my only OS, the older packages are a HUGE risk... I understand that they help with the size, however some things, IMHO, such as security, simply should never be scrimped on.... woof's ability to strip the most up to date and secure packages down to puppy size seems to be the perfect opportunity to alleviate that issue... Add this to slackware's rock hard stability and already small size, relative to other full linux's (Linuxi?), and I see the possibility for the ultimate in small, secure, fast OSs....Its just a matter of figuring it out and getting it done...

This has been a dream of mine for over a year now and I began work on it back in the 4.1.2 days... Sadly, for me, the problem lies with time constraints... An already emotionally disturbed ol' lady now going through "the change", two sick grand babies, and working like a dog in order to survive the downturn in the economy seem to have all conspired against my ever finishing this project... Though i have come up with some seriously cool homebrew's for my own use, nothing so polished as to be eligible for public release...

One of the biggest problems that I can see concerning this time issue is that I have been chugging along on my own, as many here do, all this time... Many, MANY times I have been forced to the realization that one man\woman is, well, simply ONE man\woman... And that for serous OS dev a true team is whats needed. Perhaps you, I, Bass and others interested in Slack\pup dev should consider working together? Not any kind of serous request at the moment, but definitely an idea that i have long suspected should be considered by those of us involved\interested in slack\puppy....

amigo

#10 Post by amigo »

The reason that those few packages are still in the tgz format is so that one can upgrade to the new txz format. YOu can't use the old tools to install txz packages, so to upgrade you must first upgrade the pkgtools and install xz (and tar with xz compatibility.) Once the new tools are installed using the old tools, you can now install the new package format. This is not an issue with new installs. But you can always count on slackware to provide a sane way forward -whether upgrading or installing new.

slackerson

#11 Post by slackerson »

that makes sense
i guess i didn't think of that cuz i usually never upgrade from one version to the next that way anymore. i normally do a fresh install on an empty partition and just use my home partition to save state and such. leaving the old version as a backup during transition.
i learned a few yrs ago that it is not a painless bug free upgrade process with slackware or any other distro for that matter
BarryK wrote:Great what you're doing guys!

Any improvements, like supporting the new package compression, if you want to feed the changes back to me for incorporation into the official Woof, please do.

Even if you just sent an updated script, I can do a diff with my latest and see what changes you have made, then see if I can put them in.
wow barry your interest is very encouraging. i will send you the modifications as soon as i work out all the bugs. thanx
Last edited by slackerson on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 22:19, edited 7 times in total.

slackerson

#12 Post by slackerson »

edit
Last edited by slackerson on Sat 12 Dec 2009, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

slackerson

#13 Post by slackerson »

well i sent barry my modified scripts hopefully some of the changes will get in the upstream woof.

he already made some changes to the create script as a result of reading this thread. cool :D

slackerson

new scripts added

#14 Post by slackerson »

just a post to announce that the slackware-13.0+ supported woof scripts are here!

Iguleder

#15 Post by Iguleder »

Needs xz and a newer tar ... Here it is, from Zenwalk. It will replace your current tar, and because package installation needs tar, you can't use this on your "normal" Puppy ... make a workbench Puppy for spup stuff.

I'm back into spup development ... well, sort of. I've managed to get Woof working with slack 13.0 in November, October ... don't remember. I had some problems with missing packages, I guess I missed the txz/tgz thingy ... I was too busy to fix that one. Thanks for the scripts, slackerson ...

Now I'm motivated to work on spup :lol:

slackerson

#16 Post by slackerson »

Iguleder wrote:Needs xz and a newer tar ... Here it is, from Zenwalk. It will replace your current tar, and because package installation needs tar, you can't use this on your "normal" Puppy ... make a workbench Puppy for spup stuff.

Now I'm motivated to work on spup :lol:
i updated the post at top. you can use plaguedogs zpm pet and it will work with a normal puppy. i used it on my 431 build system and had no probs.

i forgot to mention the requirement thanx for the reminder.

slackerson

BUG ALERT!!

#17 Post by slackerson »

please note in first post that i have updated the 2createpackages script to squash a bug.

woof has so may places that process pet packages it has been difficult to uncover where they all are.

this bug occurs when a pet pkg is processed as a distro pkg. the spec would not make it to the completed_pkgs file and would be reprocessed every time thereafter the script was run.

i found this when testing how the script would fair while building a regular puppy that was built with puppy pet pkgs only.

Stormson5150

#18 Post by Stormson5150 »

Sweet! Thank you slackerson! Cant wait to try them...

With any luck I'll have some time after the 1st of the year... Would like to crack things open and see if I can add a "patches" section for security... If I can pull that off, maybe a "pasture" section for reasons of compatibility... As Amigo pointed out about the tgz packages, slack always provides a sane path for upgrade, but eventually (probably 14.0 in this particular case) those things get moved to pasture... And we may find at some point that we need something from there... Makes sense to have the ability if we do...

And, of course, if that goes well, may as well toss in an "extra" section just for the heck of it ;)

We'll see if I can figure it out... If not, I'll probably be PMing you to try and pick you're brain for help (if you dont mind of course) LOL

At any rate, this in an awesome development step for those of us interested in the marriage of Puppy and Slackware... Great work!!!