Getting dialup modem to work in 1.0.3

Using applications, configuring, problems
Walt H

Getting dialup modem to work in 1.0.3

#1 Post by Walt H »

I just gave my first spin to Puppy Mozilla 1.0.3 and I have to say the first walk around the block did not last long.

1.0.3 solves the problem I had with Puppy-Opera 1.0.2 with getting my three-button mouse to coexist with my touchpad (see elsewhere in this forum). In 1.0.3 the mouse and touchpad both work fine. However, I can't get dialup working in 1.0.3 (I'm writing this from Puppy-Opera 1.0.2). Changing the initialization string to 'ATZ' does not solve the problem in 1.0.3 as it does in Puppy-Opera. The modem is found, but won't dial.

Running lsmod from the command line returns a few differences between the two versions (which may explain both the mouse and modem problems, but I'm not quite smart enough to tell).

Modules loaded in Puppy-Mozilla 1.0.3 and not in Puppy-Opera 1.0.2:
unionfs (probably because I'm running 1.0.2 from boot option 2, without saving files to HD - do the same boot options apply to 1.0.3? I didn't know and couldn't tell.)
nls_iso8859-1
sd_mod
ds
pcmcia_core
usb-uhci

Modules loaded in Puppy-Opera 1.0.2 and not in Puppy-Mozilla 1.0.3:
8250_pci
psmouse (Could this be why the mouse doesn't work?)
lp
serial_core
rsrc_nonstatic
uhci_hcd
usbcore

In Puppy 1.0.3, the modem will not even bring up a dialtone, let alone dial or connect. Can inquiring minds spot the problem and perhaps offer a simple (relatively) solution? Thanks.
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

Glitchman

#2 Post by Glitchman »

I don't know if this will help with your dialup connection, but this has been my experience:

Gkdial has never worked for me. In xeznet, I add a new connection (editing never works), fill in the Basic Settings, then under Modem Settings, I simply type "no" (without the quotes) next to chat. Anyway, that's what always works for me.

Walt H

#3 Post by Walt H »

Glitchman wrote:Gkdial has never worked for me. In xeznet, I add a new connection (editing never works), fill in the Basic Settings, then under Modem Settings, I simply type "no" (without the quotes) next to chat. Anyway, that's what always works for me.
My experience had been similar to yours until I used Puppy-Opera 1.0.2 and edited the file in /etc/ppp/chat-scripts/ created when I set up GkDial. I followed Barry's suggestion to edit the initialization string, replacing the default "AT&FW2" with "ATZ". GkDial then worked fine but only in Puppy-Opera 1.0.2.

I'll give your suggestions a try the next time I take Puppy for a walk. I'll let you know what happens. I'd like to make it work as I am looking for to replace my existing Feather Linux installation. Puppy and Damn Small Linux are the frontrunners. If I can make the modem work in Puppy-Mozilla, it will take the lead simply because it already comes with Scribus and Abiword (fewer key apps to download and install than in Puppy-Opera), plus my mouse works in Puppy-Mozilla but not in Puppy-Opera..

I may also try Puppy-Mozilla 1.0.2 to see if it works any better at dialup. I downloaded it right before the new version came out but never gave it a spin.
Walt

Walt H

#4 Post by Walt H »

Glitchman wrote:Gkdial has never worked for me. In xeznet, I add a new connection (editing never works), fill in the Basic Settings, then under Modem Settings, I simply type "no" (without the quotes) next to chat. Anyway, that's what always works for me.
That did the trick. I am writing this from within Puppy-Mozilla 1.0.3 :D I would, though, like to figure out why GkDial worked in Puppy-Opera 1.0.2 but doesn't work in Puppy-Mozilla 1.0.3.

I also have to say that Mozilla's rendering looks better in Puppy than does Firefox's in Damn Small Linux 1.2. The fonts seem much sharper and less jagged.

I'm sure I'll have more challenges and questions ahead, but for the moment I'm pleased to have dialup working. Thanks for your help.
Walt

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Walt,
you may be interested in the new wvdial package in 1.0.3.

Try this:

# wvdialconfig /etc/wvdial.conf

...i'm not sure it that will work while modem is in use, you may have to disconnect first.

that checks out your modem, creates the config file, you then use "wvdial" (console app) to connect to internet.

Look at Help menu for further details.
@#%$^&*, in JWM, Wvdial isn't in the Help menu
-- well, use Rox, it's at /usr/share/doc/wvdial-1.42/.

I would like to get feedback on how well it works.
Also, how well its auto-generated initialisation string works.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Note, i'm using gkdial right now with 1.0.3, and have "atz".

Walt H

#7 Post by Walt H »

BarryK wrote:Note, i'm using gkdial right now with 1.0.3, and have "atz".
You had suggested that in an earlier post, and it worked for Puppy-Opera 1.0.2. For some reason, though, it does not work for me in Puppy-Mozilla 1.0.3. Glitchman's suggestion for eznet does work, and I will give wvdial a try as well. I believe that is what Feather Linux (my current installed system) uses, relabeled as pppconfig in the menu.

Anyway, I hope to give a real test to Puppy as my own personal distribution wars continue. I may be getting a new machine in the near future, giving my six-year old laptop a well-deserved rest, and I expect Puppy will yelp mightily on it :)
Walt

Walt H

#8 Post by Walt H »

BarryK wrote:Walt,
you may be interested in the new wvdial package in 1.0.3.

Try this:

# wvdialconfig /etc/wvdial.conf

...i'm not sure it that will work while modem is in use, you may have to disconnect first.

that checks out your modem, creates the config file, you then use "wvdial" (console app) to connect to internet.

I would like to get feedback on how well it works.
Also, how well its auto-generated initialisation string works.
As far as detecting the modem goes, wvdial seemed to work fine. I say seemed because I couldn't actually connect. It said something about the config file not having an acceptable password. (I'll have to run it again to see what the actual message was. However, the bottom line is that wvdial doesn't seem to like AT&T's password for whatever reason. The program does seem to initialize the modem. I'll take another look at it to see if I can learn more.
Walt

Glitchman

#9 Post by Glitchman »

Glad to be of assistance. As strange as it sounds, setting up a dial-up connection in Puppy isn't too different from setting one up in pure MS-DOS. Puppy is just prettier. :)

Fox7777

Re: Getting dialup modem to work in 1.0.3

#10 Post by Fox7777 »

First we dialed on 56K modem and got on the internet with Puppy 1.0.3, then we successfully went on the internet via ethernet through another computer. Now when we want to dial up and connect with gkdial, Mozilla is not finding the internet. Is there something we need to change so that Mozilla can get on the internet through gkdial again?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

Fox7777 wrote:First we dialed on 56K modem and got on the internet with Puppy 1.0.3, then we successfully went on the internet via ethernet through another computer. Now when we want to dial up and connect with gkdial, Mozilla is not finding the internet. Is there something we need to change so that Mozilla can get on the internet through gkdial again?
I regularly mix the two without any problems.
I physically carry my computer to my friend's place who has adsl, when I boot Puppy detects the network is alive and does the dhcp thing.
Here at home, only have dialup, which works fine, no reconfiguring of Puppy required.

...so, I don't know what your problem is. It should work.

Fox7777

#12 Post by Fox7777 »

Now we can dial up and get online OK so apparently the problem only lasted until we logged out and turned off the computer. People don't normally switch from dial-up to ethernet during a session anyway (except to test the system) so it appears this a non-issue.

anon

#13 Post by anon »

fox7777:
route del default
route add default gw <machine IP>

rebooting is seldom necessary.