devx_421.sfs not found

Booting, installing, newbie
garyp

devx_421.sfs not found

#1 Post by garyp »

I've got a puppy booting from a USB flash drive. I installed the multiuser version: puppy-4.2.1-MULITUSER-r3.iso

my /mnt/home directory contains pup_421.sfs and devx_421.sfs They both have identical owner:group (root:root) and identical permissions.

When I try to use the boot manager to set it up for mounting, it reports that I have no sfs files, or the wrong version in /mnt/home.

But AFAICT, I do.

Any suggestions?

Bow wow,
Gary

garyp

Re: devx_421.sfs not found

#2 Post by garyp »

garyp wrote:I've got a puppy booting from a USB flash drive. I installed the multiuser version: puppy-4.2.1-MULITUSER-r3.iso
Ok, I got past that ... I had a bunch of windows open doing who knows what, and one of them must have been interfering with what the boot manager was trying to do. I closed everything and tried again, and it worked ... sort of.

I was able to select devx_421.sfs for loading at boot, and I unchecked the "ignore choices" box.

On reboot: fail. "pup_r04 is overlapped".

any suggestions now?
-gary

Jim1911

#3 Post by Jim1911 »

Apparantly, you made a full installation on your usb flash drive. Sfs files are not recognized by boot manager if you are using other than a frugal installation with a save file.

You will need to install the devx_sfs file in order to use it, an installer is at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40779