HowTo for pcmcia wireless?

Using applications, configuring, problems
BarryK
Puppy Master

#41 Post by BarryK »

bladehunter wrote: booted up with my new kernel
Bladehunter,
I'm using the 2.4.29 kernel right now, thinking of moving onto that for Pup 1.0.4.
I've compiled it with framebuffer support (although only vesa2 and vga16) and acpi.
What extra crypto support do you need in the kernel? From memory, I think that I enabled md5sum, aes, des, crc32.

#42 Post by Guest »

HMAC and md5 are required...but I'll have to check to be sure..

I've created an iso based on 1.0.3 that I'm uploading to my new web site, I'll post details tomorrow and hopefully I'll have an iso for the neomagic based machines prepared in the next day or so...

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#43 Post by nduanetesh »

Bladehunter, I had PMed you with my email address (in an attempt to avoid it being picked up by spam bots), but if you're uploading a full ISO, there's no need to email me image.gz. I'm anxioius to see if this works! Thanks for all of your efforts!

Oh, and Barry, thanks for enabling ACPI in the next kernel.

ND

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#44 Post by nduanetesh »

Hey Bladehunter!

Guess who is typing this message from his girlfriend's finally-working-with-puppy-and-pcmcia-wireless laptop 'puter? That's right, it's me!!

I downloaded and burned your iso (had to burn it in windows, as I couldn't get puppy to burn...that'll be another post), and fired everything up. Then I typed:

modprobe ath_pci

got some warnings, but the modules loaded (if you're surprised to hear that i got some warnings, I can post them for you). I then tried some random things with ifconfig and iwconfig, but because we're using dchp on this wireless router, I wasn't sure exactly what to do. so finally I just punched in:

dhcpcd ath0

and it's working like a charm! I added the two commands to etc/rc.d/rc.local and it works automagically upon boot! So, this saga of...urm....ten weeks? is now officially over! Thanks very much to everybody for the help and for sticking with me through all of this. I really really appreciate it. And my girlfriend is really really annoyed that every time she wants to use her computer, I'm using it in puppy.

Thanks again!

ND

#45 Post by Guest »

The "tainted" messages are normal and nothing to worry about with the driver...Glad it works for you