Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 25 Nov 2014, 19:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
How do I use the devx.sfs module?
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Author Message
scraginagmu

Joined: 05 Dec 2009
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec 2009, 22:02    Post_subject:  How do I use the devx.sfs module?  

Ok...I know I'm dumb...well, if my wife says it, it must be true...but how the heck do ya program in puppy?
I am told that the appropriate devx module, when installed, turns puppy into a "complete programming environment"
Ok...what is that? Never mind...I don't care...I just want to know that once I click on the module and it says "Success!"...that suddenly I will have in the Menu a "Programming" tab, and at least one or two menu entries that say "C++ is Here"...or "Puppy Basic" or "Python", fer goodness snakes, but after I do that, I see no Menu difference or change in the Desktop icons, or anything.

So I figure that maybe the programs are in the folders that appear from booting the devx module, but...geez...I just can't find anything that WORKS...in those folders...not even a console program, but maybe I gave up too soon, or was looking in the wrong spots, I don't know

So then I figure, well maybe I gotta load the devx module and then reboot in order to see the change in Menu, and so I go to the bootmanager program and click on "choose which sfs files to load at bootup" or something and it says to put the devx module in the /mnt/home folder, so I do and it says it can't find any new modules and doesn't load anything...I know I have the right version of devx for my version of puppy...but it jist don't werk!!

Honest to whoever, I am so frustrated...

I just want a nice clear Menu item that brings me to a nice GUI, and in it a nice text box that allows me to enter my not-that-nice code, and then has a nice "Run Program" and/or a "Compile" button or something like that...or...how do you do it?

Please pardon me dumping on you very patient, talented and nice people.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10843
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec 2009, 22:23    Post_subject: Re: How do I use the devx module?  

scraginagmu wrote:
Ok...I know I'm dumb...well, if my wife says it, it must be true...but how the heck do ya program in puppy?
I am told that the appropriate devx module, when installed, turns puppy into a "complete programming environment"
Ok...what is that? Never mind...I don't care...I just want to know that once I click on the module and it says "Success!"...that suddenly I will have in the Menu a "Programming" tab, and at least one or two menu entries that say "C++ is Here"...or "Puppy Basic" or "Python", fer goodness snakes, but after I do that, I see no Menu difference or change in the Desktop icons, or anything.

So I figure that maybe the programs are in the folders that appear from booting the devx module, but...geez...I just can't find anything that WORKS...in those folders...not even a console program, but maybe I gave up too soon, or was looking in the wrong spots, I don't know

So then I figure, well maybe I gotta load the devx module and then reboot in order to see the change in Menu, and so I go to the bootmanager program and click on "choose which sfs files to load at bootup" or something and it says to put the devx module in the /mnt/home folder, so I do and it says it can't find any new modules and doesn't load anything...I know I have the right version of devx for my version of puppy...but it jist don't werk!!

Honest to whoever, I am so frustrated...

I just want a nice clear Menu item that brings me to a nice GUI, and in it a nice text box that allows me to enter my not-that-nice code, and then has a nice "Run Program" and/or a "Compile" button or something like that...or...how do you do it?

Please pardon me dumping on you very patient, talented and nice people.

Thanks


usually I compile live
- I make a folder in root called devx
- I then click on the devx, it will open up
- I then hold the left button of mouse and highlite all the folders in the devx and drag them into the devx folder in root and select "copy"
- I then open a terminal in root and type
dir2pet /root/devx
at that point a gui will open and just hit the enter button like 5 times or so until you hit the end of the script.
then click the new pet and install it, it should take about 10min+ because it checks for missing deps.

another way is, if you have a frugal install, copy the devx.sfs to the same location as your frugal install and restart your pc, it will ask you on bootup if you want the devex loaded, click it over and reboot.
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Pizzasgood


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 6270
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA

PostPosted: Sun 06 Dec 2009, 02:12    Post_subject:  

The devx_xxx.sfs doesn't come with an IDE, so you won't see any changes in your menu entries. If you want to write a program, you just open your favorite text or code editor, write the program, and then compile it from the commandline. I believe Geany can be configured to let you do that from within it, but I've never bothered with that. If the code in question is C (or C++) you compile it with gcc (or g++). But if it's more than just a small project you'll want to create a Makefile so that you can compile it by just running 'make'.

I think somebody packaged the Anjuta IDE for Puppy.

Perl and Python scripts are run by just running them - from the commandline if they are a commandline program, or optionally by clicking if they're a gui program or a noninteractive commandline program.




As for actually installing the devx_xxx.sfs file, unless you use a full-hd install, follow ttuuxxx's second set of directions and stick it in /mnt/home/. If you have a full-hd install, you'll have to either follow his first set of instructions, or alternately (and much more quickly) do this:

Click the .sfs file
Open a terminal window inside the window it pops up (you can either press the back-quote key, or right-click -> window -> terminal here)
run this:
Code:
cp -a * /

That will take a while, but nowhere near as long as ttuuxxx's method. The downsides are that you can't uninstall it this way, and you don't get a handy .pet package that you could archive to reuse at a later date. So if those sorts of things matter to you, go with his way. Especially, if you intend to compile software to package it and upload to the forum, you'll want to follow his method to create a .pet, so that you can boot with pfix=ram, install the .pet, and then compile. (By compiling in a clean environment it is easier to keep your dependencies straight.) But that doesn't matter if you just want to learn to program.


But if at all possible, use his second method. It's much easier, and it uses less disk space (the data stays compressed).



You can verify whether it worked like this:
Code:
which gcc

That should return the path to gcc if it worked. Otherwise it doesn't output anything. Example of a working installation:
Code:
# which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc

_________________
Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Pizzasgood


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 6270
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA

PostPosted: Sun 06 Dec 2009, 02:33    Post_subject:  

Quote:
but how the heck do ya program in puppy?

Let's say I have the following C program in the file main.c:
Code:
#include<stdio.h>

int main(){
    printf("Puppy Linux FTW\n");
    return(0);
}

I can compile it like this:
Code:
gcc -o main main.c

The executable will be named main, which is defined by the '-o main' option. (If you leave that out, it would be named a.out.) You run it like this:
Code:
./main

Which should produce this output:
Code:
# ./main
Puppy Linux FTW

_________________
Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
sikpuppy


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 433

PostPosted: Sun 06 Dec 2009, 10:33    Post_subject:  

Since the default text editor (Geany) in Puppy is these things:

1) A GUI
2) A front end to compile programs (there is even a big COMPILE button).
3) A front end to build executables.

Among other things...

Then, sorry to be dense, but wasn't that what the OP wanted in a nutshell?

_________________
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message MSNM 
dejan555


Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 2716
Location: Montenegro

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec 2009, 06:17    Post_subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:

Click the .sfs file
Open a terminal window inside the window it pops up (you can either press the back-quote key, or right-click -> window -> terminal here)
run this:
Code:
cp -a * /

That will take a while, but nowhere near as long as ttuuxxx's method.


This usually ends up in system hanging during not being able to overwrite some symlinks that point to busybox, there are several such files, so I use this method in my sfs installer:

Code:
yes n | cp -ai * /


There are several sfs installers you can use, mine is here, trio's installer also has some more usefull features.

_________________
Dpup 487 | Puppy Gallery | My photo gallery | mtPaint works
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website MSNM 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3393
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec 2009, 23:33    Post_subject:  

Maybe I am just dense or lazy.
Take your pick.
But I first installed the SFS installer to Puppy.
When I wanted to have access to the devx. sfs and kernel source sfs packages, I used the SFS installer.
That installer also make an entry for Puppy Package manager that can be used to uninstall the SFS.
I have never had any problems with using devx that way and that is on a frugal install.
No waiting, no reboot. Once it is installed, you have access to make, and gcc without rebooting and other than a few empty directories, the uninstall using Puppy Package manager seems to go just as smooth.

So, tell me why my way will not work?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Pizzasgood


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 6270
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec 2009, 02:17    Post_subject:  

Well, as you can see, it does work. I've never said it won't. (What doesn't work is doing the frugal method in a full install.)

The most significant difference is probably that it uses more disk space. 278 MB vs 79 MB, in the case of devx_421.sfs.

_________________
Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3393
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec 2009, 02:09    Post_subject:  

Pizzasgood,
I read your little message and it brought back school memories.
When I was going to school, I read that Leonardo D. would write his notes mirror image to protect them.
So I taught myself to write longhand mirror image cursive.
I even submitted a school paper written that way.
When you read it using a mirror, it was very legible.
Typed text is just not the same.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
bipll

Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec 2009, 23:44    Post_subject:  

BTW.
Code:
# uname -a
Linux puppypc 2.6.31.5 #2 SMP Sun Dec 13 13:31:57 EST 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
# ls /mnt/home/devx_431.sfs
/mnt/home/devx_431.sfs
# gcc
bash: gcc: command not found

That's after the proposed reboot.
I'm feeling like something went wrong, but I can't tell what by just looking around...
Any ideas? Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
dejan555


Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 2716
Location: Montenegro

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2009, 03:00    Post_subject:  

Are you running 4.3.1 frugal install?
_________________
Dpup 487 | Puppy Gallery | My photo gallery | mtPaint works
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website MSNM 
bipll

Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2009, 04:40    Post_subject:  

Humph, it appears, at 6 AM I somehow missed the BootManager stage... kewl...
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Les Kerf

Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 230

PostPosted: Wed 12 Feb 2014, 21:14    Post_subject:  

sikpuppy wrote:
Since the default text editor (Geany) in Puppy is these things:

1) A GUI
2) A front end to compile programs (there is even a big COMPILE button).
3) A front end to build executables.

Among other things...

Then, sorry to be dense, but wasn't that what the OP wanted in a nutshell?


Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I have been searching the forum and reading about compiling for two weeks now, and this thread asks about the same question that I have.
I have downloaded and installed the appropriated devx.sfs for my Lucid 528.005. It brings up a GUI that is utterly meaningless to me, so I tried Geany, which does indeed have a big fat Compile button THAT IS GREYED OUT! I am trying to do the "Hello world" thing in C but have been thus far unable to figure out how to actually USE a compiler, or even recognize one when I see it.

A friend at work says he will help me to learn C, but am loathe to have him install a compiler on Windows for me, when I suppsedly can do this in Puppy.

Please help a clueless noob!
Les
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
dejan555


Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 2716
Location: Montenegro

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb 2014, 02:53    Post_subject:  

If devx is properly loaded (type gcc or make in console to check if command exists) you can compile from terminal, change to directory where your hello.c program is and type
Code:
gcc hello.c -o hello

_________________
Dpup 487 | Puppy Gallery | My photo gallery | mtPaint works
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website MSNM 
Les Kerf

Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 230

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb 2014, 09:33    Post_subject:  

dejan555 wrote:
If devx is properly loaded (type gcc or make in console to check if command exists) you can compile from terminal, change to directory where your hello.c program is and type
Code:
gcc hello.c -o hello


Ok, this is the part I have been missing.

How do I go about creating this hello.c program, and where should I put it?

Do I create a text file using Geany? Then save it to /root?

I do believe the devx file is properly loaded.

I know this stuff seems obvious to the pros, but I have never done much of this before. I did do the bash tutorial by BruceB, but this is somewhat different.

Thanks for the help,
Les
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1071s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0064s) ][ GZIP on ]