Cups ending up instaling with "server-error-internal-error"

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
bjoenn

Cups ending up instaling with "server-error-internal-error"

#1 Post by bjoenn »

Hello everybody!
My Problem: had the Canon S300 running perfekt on USB-device of Fritzbox.
After tryin to print a pdf-file, there was suddenly no more "normal" printer, but only a "CupsPDF"-printer.
When I tried to install a new printer over webinterface, everything stopped with the start-window for CUPS: no new window opened. So I typed the localhost:631 to the addressbar and got the webinterface.
But now every trial of installing the before perfectly running CanonS300 end up with the "ADMIN error server-error-internal-error"-window.
??
Anybody out there with some handyhelp to me? Would be very pleased!! :)
Thanks so far for reading my post..
bjoenn

Puppy 431_de; Fritzbox 7170;

Patriot

Re: Cups ending up instaling with "server-error-internal-err

#2 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

I'm replying to your queries here instead of there ...
bjoenn wrote: So next I tried to have a new CUPS. Terminal told me 1.1.23 version was running, and I got a 1.3.3-cups.pet from the Puppy Package Manager.
Yes, from the puppy package manager, you'll find cups-1.3.3.pet as listed. I would advise anyone to refrain from using this version as it requires several modifications to make it work properly (which I no longer remember precisely what) ... If you wish for newer CUPS package, read ahead:

1. Look here for the CUPS-1.3.11 pet package.
2. Download and save it somewhere accessible.
3. Boot from a clean puppy (ex: pfix=ram) and create a small save file (ex: 64MB) for doing a CUPS test run.
4. Install CUPS-1.3.11 package by clicking on it. (A reboot may be needed)
5. Turn on your printer and ensure proper connection
6. Point your browser to http://localhost:631/
7. Setup your printer and do a test print.

If the above works, then you may apply to your working puppy and delete the test save file.

Quick answers: :wink:
1. No, I didn't make the cups-1.3.3 pet.
2. Installing (my) CUPS-1.3.11 pet package and overwriting previous version is safe enough as I've already made several test runs to confirm it across most (if not all) puppy4 versions.
3. It doesn't matter what browser you're using. It does not affect CUPS web interface functionality.
4. Internet access is not required for CUPS to work.
5. Local LAN access is not required for CUPS to work.
6. The CUPS-1.3.11 pacakge has disabled most login requirements except for the system level authentication. If it asks for login/password, it's the default user:root, password:woofwoof (as defined by puppy).

Rgds

bjoenn

#3 Post by bjoenn »

Hello Patriot!
Thanks for the immediate answer! O.k. - I will try out...
Here what I did in the meantime:
  • had deinstalled the 1.3.3 pet
  • looked for another one, found the "1.1.23-patched1-1pup4" and installed it
  • tried it out: yes, I could find my S300-Gutenprint xxx.xx, clicked "add printer"
and ended up with the "server-error-internal-error". Ohhh - yeahh ... :((
As I mentioned above: will be in the next round to reach again my little printer!
You'll read me later!

bjoenn

#4 Post by bjoenn »

Hi Patriot!
some time went by. I learned:
  • to know what a save file really means and how it works and to install and use one
  • how easy and goal-prominently cups can be
  • there are pets and - pets ;)
one word: it works! so far the save-file is concerned: I'm now changing to my workpuppy and set up your pet there - pin my hopes on you!!
Thanks a lot for helping!!
Puppy and its forums is astonishing me - really. To know: I'm an older blacksmith (with related hardware ;) ), who isn't very tough in Pc-stuff, not to mention, that I'm no nativ english speaker...
regards!

p.s.: looked up for BBCode, hope one can see some small changes of appearence..

bjoenn

[solved]

#5 Post by bjoenn »

Hello Patriot!
By now I can happily report, that all things are working well - as should be!!
Had the installation of the CUPS version 1.3.11-pet...
So, a big "thank you" for working that out with me!
Regards!

p.s.: nearly all things. My installed Firefox is unable to print with the printer CanonS300: shows only "print to file";
with mtPaint there is no rection after clicking "edit>action>print". But I think, that there is a bug within these programs, as all other progs work well with CUPS.
Will show up that elsewhere in the forum...