BoxPuppeee

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

BoxPuppeee

#1 Post by jemimah »

By popular request, I've remastered BoxPup for the Eeepc.
Download: http://drop.io/puppeee

Features:
Ultralight mobile-optimized 2.6.31.5 kernel - works on Eeepc only (Celeron or Atom)
Faster boot time, smaller RAM footprint
All hotkeys work - with yaf-splash notifications
Suspend/resume
Power management (including overclocking and fan control)
Pwireless2 - replacement for network wizard
Flsynclient for touchpad configuration - including Elantech touchpad support
Zmixer patched for Eee
Powertop
Ramboot support - ultimate privacy, security, and powersaving

To install, follow the instructions for Puppeee Linux, as the process is the same. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48288. Simply use the eee-431.sfs from Boxpuppeee instead of the one from Puppeee.

Edit: Updated 1/26/10 with latest bugfixes and enhancements from Puppeee.
Added 01micko's patches for Pwidgets.
Also added Bluetooth, Vattery,TrayTemp, Retrovol, Eee-control and Tile.
Last edited by jemimah on Tue 26 Jan 2010, 05:02, edited 4 times in total.

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Great job.

This is the best I've tried so far on my eee 701 sd. From 'click' to download to posting this message and cooking dinner in between took less than half an hour.

I've been into tint2 lately so will have some fun with that. First timer with openbox though, so I'll have fun with that.... thanks, and thanks to gray too :)

Everything worked as expected ootb, not a problem at all. Of course there is plenty to test so I'll be back.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Nevermore

#3 Post by Nevermore »

did u also update the packages?
like aytmm and such?
regards
--
/sbin/Nevermore

jemimah

#4 Post by jemimah »

I haven't updated any of the packages in Boxpup. I've only changed the kernel, added acpi scripts, Pwireless2, and a few useful utilities.

jtouso

#5 Post by jtouso »

How to pwidgets?
Btw, all, YES, all keys working with my eeepc asus 901 (fn+f2 to wireless on/off working well, fn+f4..and so on)
Congratulations!!!
jtouso

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

The pwidgets configurator is on the Desktop menu.

jtouso

#7 Post by jtouso »

Jemimah
Yes I know pwidgets in Desktop but the problem is when I clic over to add or less (+ or -) different widgets, the windows has a superfast presentation (open a screen but it is closed as fast as a blink) but ...no widgets on my desktop.
Regards
jtouso

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

jtouso

Open Pwidgets gui and select >File>Stop/Start Pwidgets, a new window appears, you then can start Pwidgets.. and :oops: ... I created the eee support for the Temp_cpu widget but fan doesn't display for me... I'll get onto fixing that one.

Cheers

jemimah, a question...

Are older celerons supported by the eee_laptop module in your kernel? Reason I ask, is the stock 431 kernel needs tempestuous' eee module for the older beasts, and I think I designed the eee support for the Temp_cpu widget around that.

Cheers

jemimah

#9 Post by jemimah »

01micko, Puppeee variants have the asus_eee module instead because eee crashes on Atom Eees. However that should make no difference to you, as all the relevant data is still there in /proc/eee.

outtaspam

Acer Aspire One - Wireless settings not saved

#10 Post by outtaspam »

Thanks Jemimah, this is a wonderful puplet for the Acer Aspire One as well.

I have a frugal installation dual booting with WinXP that came on the AAO.

I have made a pupsave file within the boxpupee folder, that workd fine for the xorg settings. However, the wireless setiings, in particular, the WPA keys, do not get recalled when I shut down and restart my AAO.

Can you help please?

outtaspam

Qcad not appearing in Menus

#11 Post by outtaspam »

Me again Jemimah,

As a Linux novice, I installed the qcad and associated pets from this thread

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 77&t=46267

The Puppy Package Manager reported that qcad did not have a menu entry. How can I get it into the menu?

Is it difficult to add it to the bar at the top of the screen?

I noticed the same problem with menu items when I tried to install the Ace of Penguins game.

Yes I do have intentions of doing CAD and playing games on the tiny AAO screen :)

Thanks for your assistance.

BHINTZ

battery pwidget

#12 Post by BHINTZ »

I read through and have pwidgets working, except for the battery. I have tried several positions with no luck. otherwise seems to be an excellent version for acer one. I have also noticed that none of your wonderful eee's is able to see my scandisk. but that is a small detail.

bob

01micko

#13 Post by 01micko »

jemimah,

I have no /proc/eee directory, that's why I asked about the support for older celerons. I don't have an older celeron to test. My fan speed is in /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/hwmon/hwmon1/fan1_input. Since I haven't seen any complaints by older celeron users I'm assuming that's where their fan info would be. I can easily enough modify the widget specifically for this puplet, it is handy to have fanspeed and temp info (it's the only widget I run). But, if older celerons do have the /proc/eee directory, then I can do a test (in the widget script) to see if that exsists and execute one or the other. I won't do anything until I know from where the older celerons are getting their fan info.

Cheers

jemimah

#14 Post by jemimah »

01micko, now that you mention it, I think I forgot to add the asus-eee module to the boot manager in BoxPuppeee. Go into the boot manager on the system menu and put asus-eee on the "add" list, then reboot /proc/eee should appear (at least it does on my 701).

Bhintz, what do you mean by scandisk?

outtaspam, are you using Pwireless2 to configure the wireless? And you've created a save file? Does it not auto connect you when you reboot? I need more info.

The menus get automatically generated from the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. If you create your own entry and run 'fixmenus' from the command line, it should show up on the menu. Specific questions about qcad or BoxPup should probably be addressed to their creators.

01micko

#15 Post by 01micko »

Thanks jemimah

That fixed that... I'll post the widget, should give a correct readout of temp and fan speed now 8)
Attachments
Temp_cpu.pet
add this for eee compatibility
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 891 times

BHINTZ

storage disk

#16 Post by BHINTZ »

it's a thin storage devise that fits a slot on the side of machine labeled storage expansion. I believe I should be able to boot from it if I formated it properly.

I am more concerned about a battery gage.

bob

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

BHINTZ

I'm working on the battery widget in Pwidgets, it won't work for me either, but I'll find a way :)

Cheers

outtaspam

Pwireless2 not Network Con. Wiz. & Menu issues

#18 Post by outtaspam »

outtaspam, are you using Pwireless2 to configure the wireless? And you've created a save file? Does it not auto connect you when you reboot? I need more info.
Pwireless2 fixed the issue. I had used the Network Connection Wizard earlier. Thanks.
The menus get automatically generated from the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. If you create your own entry and run 'fixmenus' from the command line, it should show up on the menu. Specific questions about qcad or BoxPup should probably be addressed to their creators.
I verified that qcad.desktop was in the /usr/share/applications directory and ran 'fixmenus', but it still did not appear in the menu. I have installed qcad in the various 4.3.1 puplets having JWM and it did appear under the Graphics heading. I also tried the openbox configure application, without success.

Please bear with me if this is the wrong place to pose the question and direct me to where Openbox menu questions ought to be posted.

Thanks in advance.

Outtaspam.

01micko

#19 Post by 01micko »

Well for those having trouble displaying the battery widget I have made a patch which hopefully solves the issue.

This is experimental, so I need feedback. I have an eee 701SD and while it works fine for me I need to hear if it works or not for you, and please state your hardware.

Cheers

EDIT: patch removed, see post on page 3
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 30 Dec 2009, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

BHINTZ

battery patch

#20 Post by BHINTZ »

works fine on acer one zg5 - booting from usb stick - atom cpu n270 -

many thanks

bob