VirtualBox 3.1 for kernel 2.6.30.5 (puppy 4.3)

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
VBoxUser

Re: VirtualBox 3.08 for kernel 2.6.30.5 (puppy 4.3)

#21 Post by VBoxUser »

Hi Gray,

I find your comment very useful:
For puppy guest OS on windows host use the following pet package in the guest puppy OS:

http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP/virt ... 6.30.5.pet

You will need to restart your computer / virtual machine after installing the pet(s).
Unfortunately for me :) i cannot access this link as it requires a user name and password. if u can provide that or different link would really appreciate it!

MatthewBrian

#22 Post by MatthewBrian »

VBoxUser wrote: Unfortunately for me :) i cannot access this link as it requires a user name and password. if u can provide that or different link would really appreciate it!
You can see the bottom of this site (http://puppylinux.asia/) for login details.

VBoxUser

#23 Post by VBoxUser »

After some struggling with xorg server at startup i finally managed to install the guest additions.
I had to add also a "vboxadd" user to my system.

Right now i have another problem: the resizing feature does not work properly... It looks that the guest main window is resizing, the screen flickers a couple of times, but in the end all i see is the same size of the guest window.
Have u had this issue?

I am running a Puppy 4.3 on a vista home machine.
kernel 2.6.30.5

thanks

VBoxUser

#24 Post by VBoxUser »

Figured out the problem with resizing: the guest window can be resized but u need to restart the XServer all the time, for each resize....

Is there a way to make resizing in a seamless way? I know Guest additions on ubuntu support this.

Thanks

chris

#25 Post by chris »

Thanks Gray for the VirtualBox pet. A godsend after I failed to install VBox 3.0.10 manually. :oops:

I noticed that after installing the Vbox pet and rebooting, my rc.local file was overwritten by Vbox without my original being backed up first during installation. Not sure if this is "normal" practice and I didn't lose much I couldn't replace but it might be worth adding a note to your opening post about this behaviour in case someone has a more extensive rc.local file.

Now I've got a nice new virtual puppy that I can use for code tweaking without destroying my main pup and without having to reboot into another installation. :D

Perhaps I could put another virtual pup inside this virtual pup and use that for testing my tweaked code. 8)

I wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes :?:

chris

#26 Post by chris »

I installed guest additions from the iso. Seemed to go okay but didn't get the mouse integration when I rebooted. Further checking showed that starting of VBoxClient in .xinitrc failed because there is a test inserted the installer that reads:

if 'readline /usr/X11R7/bin/X' == 'Xorg' .

This is a check for a symbolic link. I had no such link in my puppy 4.3.1 installation. Rather is should be /usr/bin/X. Fixed this up, rebooted and now I'm sending this message from puppy 4.3.1 inside puppy 4.3.1 with mouse integration so the virtualpup looks just like another window. Awesome. 8)

gray

Virtualbox 3.0.10

#27 Post by gray »

Updated to Virtualbox 3.0.10 - see main post.

gray

Vbox 3.0.12

#29 Post by gray »

Updated to Vbox 3.0.12 - see main post

JohnSnyder

Question from a new Puppy Linux user

#30 Post by JohnSnyder »

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on my computer. I've installed VirtualBox 3.0.12, and I've now installed Puppy Linux 4.3.1 inside of VirtualBox. Using the VirtualBoxAdditions pet mentioned at the start of this thread, I've installed the Guest Additions.

However, as things stand, I've only gotten the screen portion to work. I am able to resize the screen (and then restart the X-server) in order to get the screen size I desire. However, the mouse integration isn't working. I still have to press the right control key in order to get the mouse out to my host operating system. As a rank beginner in Linux, I don't even know where to start looking for a problem. Any suggestions?

[Later...I compared the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in someone else's installation with the same file in mine. Turns out my mouse driver was "mouse" and not "vboxmouse" Changing the driver to "vboxmouse" fixed the problem.]

Also, how do I gain access to my host computer's file system? I've listed a shared folder in the VirtualBox configuration, but I don't know how to access it in Puppy Linux. I think I need to "mount" it. Once again, I'd really appreciate any help offered.

[Later...Once again, I found the answer in this forum (http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45028).

To share files between host and guest:
1. You can either create a new folder on the host to share or you can use an existing folder.
2. Right-Click the folder icon in the tray at the bottom right corner of VirtualBox, Click the Add New Shared Folder icon and navigate to a folder to share on the host machine; VirtualBox will provide a "sharename" to refer to that folder (or you can make your own sharename, for instance, Puppy).
2. Then create a folder in puppy (for instance, /mnt/Puppy) to mount the host file on.
3. Use this command in a terminal to mount the host folder in Puppy: "mount -t vboxsf sharename mountingpoint" (for instance, mount -t vboxsf Puppy /mnt/Puppy)]

Thanks.

JohnSnyder

Mounting the VirtualBox host file system ...

#31 Post by JohnSnyder »

How do I get the VirtualBox host file system to automatically mount at startup? Into which startup file do I place the mounting instructions?

[Later...Perusal of the Internet resulted in finding a suggestion to place the mount command in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. Guess what! It works!]

gray

vbox 3.1

#32 Post by gray »

Updated to Virtualbox 3.1 - see main post

pavl

errorcode: libBLU.so.1 missing?

#33 Post by pavl »

Hi all!

Using Puppy 4.3.1 I am trying to install Virtual Box the way Gray descibes.

After installing the menulink is there, but it's not working. When starting from a terminal the reply is:

VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen ("opt/VirtalBox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I read that I should change the rights to /opt/VirtualBox and so I did. But to no avail and I cannot find another solution online.

Does any of you have an idea?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

gray

libGLU

#34 Post by gray »

Looks like the latest version of Vbox has a new dependency - OpenGL. Didn't spot that as I already have the nvidia drivers (& hence OpenGL) already installed. If you have an nvidia graphics card install the nvidia drivers. Alternatively install the following pet for the mesa GL libs.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... -7.3-1.pet

pavl

That

#35 Post by pavl »

Did the trick!

Thanks Gray!

Mixael

#36 Post by Mixael »

gray,
I am very grateful for your work on the VirtualBox pet. I'm using Puppy as the host machine, and created a DOS virtual with it. I was able to setup DOS 6.22, along with a DOS application program I wanted to run. Everything works including the application program until I decide to use the serial port for the application program which is required for it to do its job. That's when the virtual machine won't start unless I disable the comm port in the VirtualBox settings. In searching the various sites, seems like I'm not the only one with serial port issues on VirtualBox (although others with problems are usually USB/Serial adapters). I'm hoping you might have some ideas; here's where I'm at:

Checking that the port is OK from the Puppy side:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep ttyS0
serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3F8 (irq=4) is a 16550A
00:09: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3F8 (irq=4) is a 16550A
Settings for VirtualBox Serial Port:

Enabled
Com1
HostDevice
/dev/ttyS0
When I try to start the DOS virtual machine, i get

Failed to open host device
/dev/ttyS0 (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
Unknown errorcreating VM(VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).
Under the error code details:

Result Code:NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: |Console{  lot of numbers here which I haven't typed in }
It may have had no impact in Puppy's single user setup, but based on some posts I read I even tried adding a group named vboxusers, and then manually edited the file /etc/group to add the user root in the line that was appended to the end of the file after I'd added the group. The line looked like:

vboxusers:x:1001:root
I also executed the command

chmod a+rw /dev/vboxdrv
I rebooted, tried starting the DOS virtual machine again, but got the same error. Any ideas?

TheAsterisk!

Missing File on Puppylinux.ca

#37 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Both of the PETs for version 3.1.0 are available, but the link to the compressed guest additions ISO returns a 404 error, as does trying to get at it by navigating in from puppylinux.ca and .asia. :(

@gray: Why don't you just link to the ISOs here, buried in the VirtualBox site? I'd think that's easier than compressing 'em and hosting them yourself.

These VirtualBox PETs you package up so nicely are wonderful, by the way. Thanks for the time spent!

Mixael

#38 Post by Mixael »

I think I've figured out the serial port issue when using VirtualBox serial ports on a Puppy host. I'll confirm it after I test the actual application, but the VirtualBox client I have running DOS/WFW will now start up when I enable the serial port. After much unneccessary reading about pipes, dev/ttyS0, mkfifo, and socat it turned out all I needed was one command issued BEFORE the VirtualBox application is started (not just the client in VirtualBox). I've appended the following line to the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local to ensure it is executed on bootup.

setserial /dev/ttyS0

Mixael

#39 Post by Mixael »

The serial port does indeed function with that change. I've documented the entire process to setup a DOS/WFW client at
www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51317

davidwillis

#40 Post by davidwillis »

I am trying to install 3.1.4 and I get this
Attachments
snapshot265.png
(7.98 KiB) Downloaded 3680 times