Precord0.9.5 audio recorder

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
esmourguit

#41 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à tous,
Thank you for your kindness. I finally found the Mic Boost and it's absolutely perfect.
Thank you again.
Have a good night (maybe short?).
Cordialement ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

This was a crude way I detected the end of an mp3 track playing......basically madplay outputted blurb at the end and that was used to trigger notify to kill the player gui....perhaps ffmpeg might be obliging.

Code: Select all

mkdir /var/lock/mad 2>/dev/null
madplay "$@" 2>&1 | grep decoded > /var/lock/mad/lock &
dnotify --modify --once --background /var/lock/mad --execute killall gxmessage
now hopefully you are having a good sleep

regards

mike

mikeb

#43 Post by mikeb »

ooops should be
kill `ps | grep arecord | grep rxvt | awk '{ print $1}'`
that occasional leading space messes up cut

More blah....

on my machine at least
arecord -vvv /dev/null 2>/dev/null
has the undesirable habit of turning /dev/null into a file

arecord -vvv mono does not but gives thesame output.

mike

mcewanw

#44 Post by mcewanw »

mikeb wrote: on my machine at least
has the undesirable habit of turning /dev/null into a file
Oh... I'll check that out.

As for cut and awk, yes, I usually use awk for such constructs for that very reason, though I prefer keeping more direct track of the PIDs if I can.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#45 Post by mcewanw »

Well I've tried:

arecord -vvv mono 2>/dev/null

and

arecord -vvv mono /dev/null 2>/dev/null

But both of these constructs create a file called "mono"! :-)

If you check arecord --help, you should see that there is no parameter after -v (or -vv or -vvv) but mono or stereo can be used after -V (capital V), which gives a one line display.

does not, I believe, actually create the file called "null" in /dev; rather the system may create it in response - but it is a tiny 8 byte file.

To prove that, I suggest you run the
arecord -vvv /dev/null 2>/dev/null command, then, for example, change dir to /dev and run the command rm -f null
That will temporarily rm the small 8 byte null file, as running LIST directory command

Code: Select all

ls null
or
ls -al null
will show
but.... it you simply then run 'ls' for a second time the file "null" will automagically be created again... a system file. :-)
github mcewanw

mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

arecord -vvv mono /dev/null 2>/dev/null

But both of these constructs create a file called "mono"!
doh...indeed it would. -V does not work here...must be an alsa/arecord version difference...hmm.

And the /dev/null...which grows when recording and then becomes a 0 byte 'normal' file...picked up because nfsd would not start at boot. Again I suspect version differences. hw worked for me but you needed plughw (which works for me too).

Ok well ignore that one for now...I will test further armed with new knowledge.

And yes clumsy way of killing but i'm testing in bash/gtkdialog so did not see a way of getting the pid from the button launcher...I'm sure you'll neaten that up. I also felt the urge to kill alsamixer as well once recording starts as it should be superfluous by then and tidies up the window presence.

I just keep lobbing things in there...just pick out anything useful :)

by the way that was a quick sleep

regards

mike

mcewanw

version 2.0.4 now uploaded

#47 Post by mcewanw »

# Changes:

As per requests above

# Version 2.0.4: Playbutton no longer dis-abled on Play selected.
# The single button MIX now brings up the VU display too.
# Version 2.0.3:
# No longer loses file entry content moving from MIN to Config GUI.
# Added sound card hardware selection (plughw:x,x)

Yes... sleep is not something I'm getting much of at the moment; other matters outside of Puppy denying me such peace.
github mcewanw

mikeb

#48 Post by mikeb »

Well hopefully you can get some virtual peace here.

Nice one on the update...I hope its generally welcomed ...I try to keep my demands and suggestions aimed for general rather than my specific needs

Will try out the latest shortly...a stubborn printer sent me into windows land :D

regards

mike

mcewanw

Layer Top

#49 Post by mcewanw »

Just a general tip for anyone:

One of the reasons I designed Precord's user interface the way it is, was so that I could use the small GUI version sitting on top of my browser (or any other app) such that I could record notes whilst browsing and so on.

In case anyone wonders how to keep Precord's recording bar on top, that is just a general facility provided for any app. Simply right-click on the top bar of the Precord GUI and you can select to have it stay on:

Layer -> Top

I find that Precord's small GUI can easily be placed "out of the way" when on top of most applications (e.g., with Seamonkey browser running I place Precord at the top of the screen next to the Help menu choice).
Last edited by mcewanw on Sun 20 Dec 2009, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

mikeb

#50 Post by mikeb »

Yep 2.04 seems to be doing it's stuff

My /dev/null problem...tried latest arecord/libasound...with -V but did the same so something funny going on thats not particularily alsa related it seems.

regards

mike

mcewanw

Version 2.0.5 uploaded

#51 Post by mcewanw »

Version 2.0.5 uploaded

Changes:

includes inbuilt help for alsamixer setup

That adds a couple of hundred bytes to the dotpet size, but it is so important to get alsamixer controls set up correctly for recording that I think that brief help is vitally worth including in this case.

I've also added some button tooltext tops rather than labels in certain places. Finally, I've made VU meter start up prior to Alsamixer when the MIX button is pressed, since that order leaves Alsamixer in focus.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Uploaded Precord version 2.0.6

#52 Post by mcewanw »

Uploaded Precord version 2.0.6

# Changes:
# Now uses gtkdialog rather than Xdialog for help dialog on alsamixer

[Xdialog used about 14MB memory when running, this new gtkdialog help window hardly anything at all, since gtkdialog already running. Since the help text now wraps automatically, you can also scale this new help window's size by dragging its corner]

# Also tidied up the help text a little bit.
github mcewanw

mikeb

#53 Post by mikeb »

Fast and furious....
I tend to use gxdialog as xdialog looks crap and has less functionality...why it now is left out of puppy is beyond me...like 10k compressed is no biggie....not like the ttf fonts are small compared to before ... ooo I ranted :D .

Off to test and nosey at yer smart help thingy

mike

mikeb

#54 Post by mikeb »

Hmm..I do like your techinique used with gtkdialog...I have a gui for handbrake and this would help give it a severe tidy up :) ....and others.....I certainly don't like having separate function files If I can help it and just using the one dialog binary makes much more sense...oh I'm supposd to be doing things like sorting go office crashes but this is much more appealing :D

regards

mike

ps you mentioned a speed up a while ago...was that to do with gtkdialog?

mcewanw

#55 Post by mcewanw »

mikeb wrote: ps you mentioned a speed up a while ago...was that to do with gtkdialog?
No. I had put in a two second sleep to give the record function a bit more time to terminate when stop was pressed - but I had carelessly placed that in such a way that there was an additional two seconds delay between moving between the small GUI and the Config one (in either direction). At first I thought the particularly longer delay I was noticing was simply caused by my having added more code... so I didn't realise my "mistake" for a while; after which I fixed it.
github mcewanw

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#56 Post by Flash »

I used Precord to turn a book-on-tape into mp3 (so I can listen to it on my mp3 player at work.) It was easy to do and the result sounded great, but I found that Precord has two limitations that make mhWaveEdit a better choice for that purpose.
  • 1. mhWaveEdit includes the very useful time limit, which can be set to stop recording after a set time. That way I don't have to be in the room to shut off the recorder after the tape reaches the end.
    2. mhWaveEdit can edit the resulting file to cut out the silences at the beginning and end of the tape.
I just set mhWaveEdit's time limit for a little longer than I think the tape will run, then cut out the few minutes of silence that mhWaveEdit records after the tape ends. mhWaveEdit makes mp3 files that are about twice the size of the files Precord makes, for the same settings (16 bits, 22,050 kHz, 32 kbps mono.)

The ability to edit mp3 files is probably more than could be reasonably expected of a small program like Precord, but perhaps a time limit would be a useful addition. Just a thought, not really even a suggestion. :)

mcewanw

time gentlemen please

#57 Post by mcewanw »

Flash wrote: The ability to edit mp3 files is probably more than could be reasonably expected of a small program like Precord, but perhaps a time limit would be a useful addition. Just a thought, not really even a suggestion. :)
Oh well ... I suppose that gives me something further to do in moments of boredom - the time limit shouldn't be too difficult without much additional bloat. I'll take my "time" over it though since I don't want to waste the interface. No promises, but I will also play around with the possibility of having begin and end silences (below a certain threshold) removed automatically on the press of a button - we shall see. Time limit first though... Also no promises that I won't suddenly be dragged off to Christmas parties in which case there will be an automatic delay...
github mcewanw

mikeb

#58 Post by mikeb »

Get dragged off to a party..I insist....If there is space let me know :)
Thanks for the info.
There was a small mp3 splicing program on here a while ago but the name escapes me....could work on the mp3 without making wav files...I'll see if I can find it as its code may shed some light.....probably pipes through with time parameters set.

Are you going to port and compile this once done or leave as bash?

mike

tasmod

#59 Post by tasmod »

Odd one I know but can this be used to record audio from a Youtube playback?
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

mikeb

#60 Post by mikeb »

Odd one I know but can this be used to record audio from a Youtube playback?
I would say yes if you can select pcm or master as a capture input in alsamixer..I tried a web radio station on beep and it worked just fine.

Or...for best quality...use a downloader that gets the mp4 (I use cclive+gui) then use ffmpeg or a video editor to strip/convert the audio track (I use avidemux..will export to mp3)....but don't tell you tube :D

mike