Mendeley Desktop

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Dingo

Mendeley Desktop

#1 Post by Dingo »

http://www.mendeley.com/
Mendeley Desktop is academic software that indexes and organizes all of your PDF documents and research papers into your own personal digital bibliography. It gathers metadata from your PDFs allowing you to effortlessly search, organize and cite. It also looks up PubMed, CrossRef, DOIs and other related metadata automatically.
I created .pet package hacking a bit directories to optimize install for puppy
tried on Puppy 4.2.1 it works fine
download from here:
http://dokupuppylinux.info/programs:academic_database (17 MB, more or less 41 once installed)

hacked also .desktop file that now, once installed, shows an entry in
- Personal
- Mendeley Desktop
Last edited by Dingo on Thu 18 Sep 2014, 11:03, edited 2 times in total.
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Dingo

#2 Post by Dingo »

Woof woof (and re-Woof again, without pain)

new mendeley desktop version just released

mendeley 0.9.2.1

now it has a built-in pdf viewer and many improvements!

I packaged two versions

- pet (25 Mb uncompressed, 60 once installed)
- sfs (26 MB)
dropbox 2GB free

Dingo

Mendeley Desktop 0.9.5.2

#3 Post by Dingo »

Woof Woof!

Mendeley 0.9.5.2 is out!!!!

download sfs3 and sfs4 version both from Dokupuppy
http://dokupuppylinux.info/programs:academic_database

changelog
Mendeley Desktop v0.9.5 released

The main priority is still to polish existing features by fixing a lot of usability issues and bugs. We also continue working on speed and stability and rest assured – work on the Mac Word Plugin has now officially been started. We’ll let you know as soon as we have an alpha version ready for testing.
Improvements to Existing Features:

* Improved concurrent editing of documents by multiple users. Tags and keywords changes are now merged correctly and conflict resolution is improved.
* Add support for disambiguating citations in Word and OpenOffice.
* Improve the performance of bibliography generation and citation insertion in Word and OpenOffice.
* Mendeley Desktop can now import PDF, BibTeX and RIS files which do not have the .pdf, .bib or .ris file extension. Mendeley Desktop will attempt to guess the type of the file in this case.
* Support for importing .txt files which may contain references in various formats.
* Support importing of month field from BibTeX where month name is not enclosed in quotes or braces.
* HTML attachments are now indexed for full text search (note that this will not apply to existing attachments).
* Show a wizard on first run offering to set up word processor integration.
* Clearer formatting of dates in the table view.
* Add support for superscript and subscript formatting of in-line citations.
* Add a menu item to toggle the visiblity of the right-hand Document Details pane.
* Support for additional fields and document types in BibTeX import and export.
* Support for additional document types in RIS import and export.
* Show different icons in the table view depending on the file type, number of files attached to a document and whether the file is stored locally or downloadable from the web.
* Automatically enable the ‘Citation Key’ field in the Document Details pane when BibTeX syncing is enabled.
* Support for importing file links from EndNote XML files (currently tested with EndNote X2, X3 XML files).
* Add keyboard shortcuts for moving between tabs, creating folders and toggling the Document Details pane.
* Clearer messages in the Word and OpenOffice.org plugins.
* When importing PDFs through the ‘Watched Folders’ feature, the existing library is searched for duplicates of imported documents.
* Improved performance of first PDF import after starting Mendeley.
* (Mac) Mendeley Desktop offered to install the NeoOffice plugin even when NeoOffice was not installed.
* (Linux) Add a README file to the generic Linux version of Mendeley Desktop.

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed various hangs and crashes on exit when background services (such as the file organiser) were enabled.
* The location of the Zotero database was not auto-detected if Firefox was not using the default profile.
* Hyperlinks in PDF documents did not work reliably.
* Fix crash when opening certain invalid PDF documents.
* Removed non-working support for unchecking sub-folders of a watched folder.
* Import documents directly into the ‘My Publications’ collection did not work.
* Progress of syncing operations is now shown as a percentage instead of number of documents and citations updated.
* Fix a bug where document addition date/times were stored in local time internally and would be incorrect after a timezone or daylight savings change.
* The document type combo-box now updates correctly after a DOI/Arxiv/PubMed lookup.
* Improved syncing performance.
* ‘Copy LaTeX Citation’ menu command now generates a citation key for the selected document(s) if necessary.
* Application interface could hang whilst performing a database upgrade or repair.
* Search index could go out of date causing documents which should match the search keywords not to be found.
* Search did not always find all relevant full text matches.
* Auto-update checks did not work properly in release candidate versions.
* (Mac) The account password field was cleared when opening the preferences dialog.
Last edited by Dingo on Thu 18 Sep 2014, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
dropbox 2GB free

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Dingo, what's with the links in your first post? They don't seem to have anything to do with Mendeley

Dingo

#5 Post by Dingo »

Sorry. I placed mendeley screenshots on a image hosting service that died, I now removed in order to replace again
dropbox 2GB free

didik

#6 Post by didik »

Thank you, Dingo :)

It's a really useful tool I'm looking for.

::eko didik widianto::

didik

#7 Post by didik »

Dingo wrote:Woof woof (and re-Woof again, without pain)

new mendeley desktop version just released

mendeley 0.9.2.1

now it has a built-in pdf viewer and many improvements!
Why do we need built-in apps (ex. pdf viewer) since we've already had the same kind of apps (epdfview)? Can we just set preconfiguration or make wrapper script to do that?

Just curious.

::eko didik widianto::

didik

#8 Post by didik »

Dingo wrote:Sorry. I placed mendeley screenshots on a image hosting service that died, I now removed in order to replace again
Dingo, it always open geany, not browser, whenever i click a link from this desktop. How to resolve this?

Dingo

#9 Post by Dingo »

didik wrote:Dingo, it always open geany, not browser, whenever i click a link from this desktop. How to resolve this?
Dear didik, What do you mean exactly? where you click?
dropbox 2GB free

didik

#10 Post by didik »

Dingo wrote:
didik wrote:Dingo, it always open geany, not browser, whenever i click a link from this desktop. How to resolve this?
Dear didik, What do you mean exactly? where you click?
In my Desktop, Click on all Tools submenu (ex. Install web importer) will open geany instead of a browser. So does a click on all hyperlinks in any opened documents. I guest it's because of my environment setting, but i don't know exactly what application does be run when i click on them.

Pelo

Mendeley desktop 2014

#11 Post by Pelo »

Mendeley Desktop est un logiciel universitaire qui indexe et organise tous vos documents PDF et recherche des papiers dans votre bibliographie numérique personnelle. Il regroupe les métadonnées de vos PDFS pour vous aider à fouiller, organiser et citer. Il cherche aussi PubMed, CrossRef, DOIs et dautres métadonnées liées.

Distro :
puppy_Pupjibaro-1.0.3.5 (Precise 5.7.1). Package Mendeleydesktop-0_6_5_1-linux-i486.pet: 17 M installed and runs.

The document group "My Publications" only works with a free Mendeley account. Please enter your account details now, or if you don't have an account, click here to sign up.
Once you have entered your account details, dragging & dropping your publications to "My Publications" will automatically add them to your profile on Mendeley Web. Link to the MendeleyDesktop Website does not work.
I am checking for that. mendeley site

My browser is Chrome Version 25.0.1364.160 . How Link can be created again ? Here is the subject (le bât qui blesse).
Wab adresses are corect. copying and pasting them in the browser get to the website. Mendeley seems to be a very powerfull tool.

Demonstartion par Video for UK citizens
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 22 Sep 2014, 00:45, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Crash ! Crash !

#12 Post by Pelo »

I enjoyed Mendeley desktop. The tool was making the list of my own PDF's extracting titles, date created, subject and so on...
Unfortunatly, suddendly, it crashed. :?

Mendeley Desktop 1.11
This update adds support for 64bit versions of Office 2010 and fixes many other issues with the Word plugins.
New Features
Support for 64bit versions of Office 2010.
Improved Undo/Redo of inserting/editing/refreshing Mendeley citations in Word 2010. Actions performed with the Mendeley Cite-o-Matic toolbar can now be undone/redone via Word's Undo menu.
On Mac, the OpenOffice plugin has been dropped in favor of support for LibreOffice.
Improvements
The 'urldate' field is now exported for web-page BibTeX entries.
The mapping between Mendeley and EndNote document types has been improved.
Mendeley will now to continue to upload other files if upload of a single file fails due to exceeding the size limit for a single file.
Bug Fixes
Fixed several problems with Word plugin installation on Windows.
Fixed many crashes related to the Word plugins.
Fixed Mendeley extracting junk journal names for certain papers.
Fixed several sync crashes.
Fixed several occasional crashes during shutdown.
Mendeley will now prompt the user to save their work before trying to install or update the Word plugins.
Edit -> Copy Citation and 'Send Citation' now copy/send the correct citation when used from a PDF tab.
(Linux) Fixed crash on startup under Fedora 16 and Ubuntu 12.04.
Fixed a problem when refreshing bibliographies created in Mac Word under Word on Windows.
Feedback and Support
If you have suggestions for improvements please let us know by visiting the feedback forum.
If you encounter any problems using Mendeley or have questions to ask please contact our support team.
For news and updates about Mendeley see our blog.

sispus

#13 Post by sispus »

Hi,

I installed Mendeley from its website, deb package for 32 bit computer. Its working well on Puppy Slacko 5.7.

Now, I realized that there is a generic linux version of mendeley desktop on its page. It is a tar.bz2 file. It is possible to extract it in a folder and run by clicking its /bin/mendeleydesktop file.

Pelo

Package Mendeleydesktop-0_6_5_1-linux-i486.pet: 17 M

#14 Post by Pelo »

Package Mendeleydesktop-0_6_5_1-linux-i486.pet: 17 M installed and runs.
Look at the top, pets are proposed.
Je ne faisais que passer.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Where is this website? None of the links in this thread are any good. :(

Pelo

Nice documentation manager for our school teachers

#16 Post by Pelo »

http://www.mendeley.com/features/
Mendeley is a nice manager for your documentation. I don't need it because i am retired from business now.
But our school teachers should try it, if they are familiar with puppy Linux.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 27 Sep 2014, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.

Dingo

#17 Post by Dingo »

Flash wrote:Where is this website? None of the links in this thread are any good. :(
only links pointing to puppylover.netsons domain expired (I replaced with actual domain editing posts) other links are working. netsons was my first free free subdomain I used then I passed to a top level domain more reliable
dropbox 2GB free

sispus

#18 Post by sispus »

Pelo

website Mendeley is easy to join. Don't care.

#19 Post by Pelo »

website Mendeley is easy to join. Don't care. (Google shows it first line when typing 'Mendeley Desktop' in its search window) 1.700.000 results.
It's a nice application to share your documents. But it's not an application for Puppy's users... however it works nice. on each Puppy i tried it.
Attachments
mendeley.jpg
(53.11 KiB) Downloaded 135 times