How do I backup my pup001 file to CD with Graveman?

Booting, installing, newbie
jhecht

How do I backup my pup001 file to CD with Graveman?

#1 Post by jhecht »

I've been trying to work with Graveman as a GUI for the commandline CD burning utilities. My first goal is very basic - to burn a copy of my pup001 file to CD, with the CD set to multi-session, so I can do it repeatedly.

My 'puter HD setup is simple - hda1 (ext2) / Linux swap / hda3 (ext3). And, of course, the pup001 file lives on the root of hda3, as the install default created it there.

Using Graveman, I can navigate to hda3, by looking in the /mnt folder of the filesystem. But I can't find any way to select pup001 as the file to copy.

I've looked in the Graveman help, and its homepage. Both basically have zero info on how to USE the prog. Arrggh!

I'm sure the answer is pathetically simple - but until I find it, this pebble is a boulder in my path... Can you help?

Thanks!
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

i don't usually use Graveman, i usually burn from the command line ... i think you would do something like this:

start Graveman
click Data CD (at the left)
click the Add Files button ... select /mnt/home/pup001
configure any other settings you like ... for example, you can check the Allow Multisession CD box ... i don't know if the Do Not Fixate The Disk After Writing box needs to be checked or not
click the Write Tracks button

jhecht

#3 Post by jhecht »

GuestToo wrote:i don't usually use Graveman, i usually burn from the command line ... i think you would do something like this:

start Graveman
click Data CD (at the left)
click the Add Files button ... select /mnt/home/pup001
configure any other settings you like ... for example, you can check the Allow Multisession CD box ... i don't know if the Do Not Fixate The Disk After Writing box needs to be checked or not
click the Write Tracks button
But pup001 isn't in /mnt/home/. The path is /mnt/hda3/pup001, as I said. And when I select /mnt/hda3 in Graveman it doesn't show the files in hda3. That's my problem.

If you can tell me a surefire way to do it from the commandline, I'll abandon the gooey GUI.

Thanks!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Could the problem be that the file itself is already mounted? G2, you know a lot more about Linux, and Puppy, than I do, so please tell me if this is wrong. Would it work to boot the Puppy live CD with no hard drive (boot option 4 in 1.0.7,) then mount the hard drive and use Graveman to burn the pup001 file?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

the pup001 file that Puppy is using should always be in /mnt/home

if pup001 is on /dev/hda3, then /dev/hda3 will be mounted on /mnt/home ... you will see all the files on /dev/hda3 in /mnt/home, including pup001

is /mnt/hda3 mounted? (it may already be mounted on /mnt/home) ... if it isn't, you can't see any files in that partition

it's not hard to burn the first multisession session from the command line (just add -multi as a cdrecord option) ... adding sessions to a multisession cd is trickier, you have to figure out the ending and starting sectors (using cdrecord -msinfo) ... it could be done from a script

jhecht

#6 Post by jhecht »

Flash wrote:Could the problem be that the file itself is already mounted? G2, you know a lot more about Linux, and Puppy, than I do, so please tell me if this is wrong. Would it work to boot the Puppy live CD with no hard drive (boot option 4 in 1.0.7,) then mount the hard drive and use Graveman to burn the pup001 file?
Your comment gave me some clues. I had UNmounted hda3 to try some commandline stuff that didn't work. After RE-mounting it, I could see pup001 - but when I tried to burn the CD, I got a terribly uninformative "Error burning CD" messagebox with no clue as to what or why. What's the commandline version? My CD burner is seen as hdc.

Thanks!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

to burn the first session, you would do something like this:

mkisofs -R -J /mnt/home/pup001 | cdrecord -multi -data -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc speed=2 -eject -

the - at the end is important ... change /mnt/home/pup001 to the file (or dir) you want to burn, if you want

to burn more sessions, you would type something like this:

mkisofs -R -J -C `cdrecord -msinfo dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc` -M ATAPI:/dev/hdc /mnt/home/pup001 | cdrecord -multi -data -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc speed=2 -eject -

the last session can be burned without the -multi option ... or you can:

cdrecord -fix

i have not tested this ... there may be mistakes

also, i don't know if there would be a problem trying to burn pup001 while it is in use (maybe copying it somewhere first would help)

i think you can not burn the same file name to 2 different sessions ... i think the file will be renamed automatically ... you could get around this using symlinks (or coping the file and renaming it or copying the file to another dir)

jhecht

#8 Post by jhecht »

Well, I tried the commandline syntax you suggested. Here's what I got with a brand new blank CD-R. Sucker didn't work - not sure what's wrong.

This was with the commandline arguement:
mkisofs -R -J /mnt/home/pup001 | cdrecord -multi -data -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc speed=2 -eject -

Code: Select all

# mkisofs -R -J /mnt/home/pup001 | cdrecord -multi -data -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc speed=2 -eject - 
mkisofs: No such file or directory. Invalid node - '/mnt/home/pup001'.
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
<<EDIT FOR BREVITY>>
So then I tried a different /mnt path as the only change. I made it /mnt/hda3/pup 001 - so the whole thing went:
mkisofs -R -J /mnt/hda3/pup001 | cdrecord -multi -data -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc speed=2 -eject -

THAT WORKED! At least it burned a CD with pup001 on it. Now if I use the backup2cd GUI front end on the same CD, (which DOES work), I'll have the pup file & the contents of the root folder on a single CD. Anything else I should add?

Thanks!
Last edited by jhecht on Mon 13 Feb 2006, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

jhecht

#9 Post by jhecht »

"Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice...
GuestToo wrote:the pup001 file that Puppy is using should always be in /mnt/home
But it's not - not in my install. The path that works is /mnt/hda3/pup001
if pup001 is on /dev/hda3, then /dev/hda3 will be mounted on /mnt/home ... you will see all the files on /dev/hda3 in /mnt/home, including pup001
Nope, with hda3 mounted, /mnt/home is empty - no files, nuttin' honey.
is /mnt/hda3 mounted? (it may already be mounted on /mnt/home) ... if it isn't, you can't see any files in that partition
Yes, hda3 is mounted using the MUT utility. I can see files in Rox.
it's not hard to burn the first multisession session from the command line (just add -multi as a cdrecord option) ... adding sessions to a multisession cd is trickier, you have to figure out the ending and starting sectors (using cdrecord -msinfo) ... it could be done from a script
That would be a VERY useful script for us lousy typists (grin). Plug in the values for your hard drive(s) and CD burners & go. Even a little GUI shell, like backup2cd has - hey, I can dream, can't I? (grin)

GT, you're a true Linux wizard, but why so many differences in our installs? This is the second time you and I have had path differences. Mine is a straight up type 2 "give Puppy his own drive." Is yours an upgraded install? I'm running Puppy 1.0.7.

Thanks!
Last edited by jhecht on Mon 13 Feb 2006, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

#10 Post by Guest »

Mine is a srtaight up type 2
an option 2 install should not be using a pup001 file at all ... i suspect your Puppy is not using that pup001 file either, in which case there is not much point in backing it up

i usually boot Puppy from a poor man's/frugal/option 1 install ... i have never bothered to do a full option 2 install

option 2 installs have some differences and sometimes behave differently ... it is not surprising if some things don't work properly

jhecht

#11 Post by jhecht »

Now you've truely confused me! I thought the type 2 install was the way to go for a computer running ONLY Puppy. Is that not correct? Should I re-install? Why is a type 2 install more problematic?

And most of all - why isn't this in the install dox? (sigh)

Thanks!