Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 09:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Texlive, Lyx and Puppy Linux
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
didik

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec 2009, 13:28    Post subject:  Texlive, Lyx and Puppy Linux
Subject description: Latex packages

Hello,

I've made texplay-2009-beta-sfs4.sfs for one who may need Tex/Latex document production system on his/her puppy Linux (it may be you Smile ). It consists the following packages:

1) document typesetter using texlive-20091107-source and texlive-20091107-texmf (without any document and only include selective fonts)

2) lyx-2.6.4.2 wysiwym as tex GUI

3) spell checker using aspell-0.60.0 and also english and indonesian (bahasa) dictionary

4) image converter using ImageMagick-6.5.8.0, ghostscript-8.70 and ghostscript-fonts-std-8.11

5) prerequisites packages: qt4-4.4.2 and Python-2.6.4

This sfs file size is 173MB and will occupy your storage about 471MB when installed fully in your HD. I'm little ashamed with this huge size, but for functionality i think it can be sacrificed. Sorry.

I've test it under Puppy Linux 4.31, and ps, pdf, html and dvi output can be generated from Help menu file.

However, this texplay sfs is considerably as beta release. So, any reports including bugs found, successful deployments and missing features, and also suggestions are all highly appreciated Very Happy

NOTE
1) Installation (if you new to puppy): quoted from puppy package management
Quote:
Download any SFS file to /mnt/home (the same place as your "pupsave" personal storage file), run the BootManager (in the System menu) to select or deselect what SFS files you want to use, reboot Puppy and its ready to go.

2) dvi file is truly generated. But there is no dvi viewer installed, instead of conversion wrapper script that acts as xdvi viewer as the following:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# xdvi: dvi viewer
FILENAME=`echo $* | tr ' ' '\n' | grep -ie ".dvi"`
[ "$FILENAME" ] || exit
DIRNAME=`dirname $FILENAME`
if [ -d $DIRNAME ]; then
        cd $DIRNAME
        dvipdf `basename $FILENAME` - | epdfview -
fi

3) Features supported:
* htlatex for generating html from lyx/tex/latex file
* standar lyx document class, package and layout

DOWNLOAD
* texplay-2009-beta-sfs4.sfs
* texplay-2009-beta-sfs4.sfs.md5sum

::eko didik widianto::
configure.log.tar.gz
Description  Lyx configuration log
gz

Download 
Filename  configure.log.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.02 KB 
Downloaded  686 Time(s) 
lyx_on_puppy.jpg
Description  Lyx run on Puppy Linux under VirtualBox
jpg

Download 
Filename  lyx_on_puppy.jpg 
Filesize  109.12 KB 
Downloaded  628 Time(s) 

Last edited by didik on Tue 29 Dec 2009, 07:20; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger 
Puppyt

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2009, 09:30    Post subject:  

Thanks, didik!

Saw your notice in Dingo's "LaTeX puppy?" thread and observed the high number of first-time posters wanting this sort of functionality. I'm new to LaTeX and its derivatives, but have downloaded the various manuals from http://www.latex-project.org/. I'll give feedback in the New Year,
Cheers!
didik

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2009, 05:10    Post subject:  

Hello,
i found that lyx icon didn't appear on menu because of wrong category (Document). Patch has been applied to updated texplay-2009-beta-sfs4.sfs (dated 122909).

If you have download older sfs, you can apply this attached patch, to fix the missing lyx menu icon.

Run this to patch from console :
# gunzip -c patch-122909.sh.gz | sh
patch-122909.sh.gz
Description  Patch to fix missing lyx icon
gz

Download 
Filename  patch-122909.sh.gz 
Filesize  239 Bytes 
Downloaded  491 Time(s) 
emil

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct 2010, 04:41    Post subject: Possible Bug found in Package (solved?)
Subject description: Python in package seems incomplete

Hello didik,

i used your texpla-2009-beta-sfs4. sfs and found it very usefull. also it is by far the smallest puppy latex package around with 170 MB including Lyx! So really thank you didik for great work!!!

However I think i had a problem yesterday, when i wanted to import some Latex files ("tex" format). I always got a cryptic error reading about incompatible versions of lyx.

I tracked it down then to the python program lyx2lyx. It seems the conversion uses 2 steps, first "tex2lyx" and then it again convertst o the latest lynx file-format version. The Problem is, that the python which is included in the texlive package is not complete, so the scripts throw an error and the gui gives that cryptiv message.

I checked that behavior in a fresh installation, the same error.

I am currently work on the german NOP from forum member deapsea. The dev package of this pupplet includes python 2.5 (and beside that also gfortran which is really usefull).

I tried a simple solution to remove the python 2.6 from your package and use the python from the devx instead. This solved the problem imediatly and I could import tex files to lyx.

I uploaded the package with python removed (its just around 3 MB in the sfs file) to
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/Latex/
File is called Latex_Lyx_v09.sfs

Sorry, Download link is a bit slow.

This is didks Latex Lyx package WITHOUT Python, so you have Python (>=2.5 ?) as dependency.

Emil
mommyjoy

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov 2010, 23:47    Post subject:  

Thank you guys! I now have latex in puppeee.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: