Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 23:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Opera 10.10 and Opera 9.64
Page 6 of 7 [96 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2009, 16:03    Post subject:  

A quick Opera question; does anyone know how to update Opera 10? I've been trying to update it to 10.10 but haven't found any way of doing it (unlike Firefox and Flock where it's easy to do so).

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic .

Roy

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2009, 16:13    Post subject:  

I wondered about the same thing... and then read a blurb in the Opera forums about the Update feature being for Windows (maybe Mac, too -- I didn't pay much attention to the Mac reference). The same forum post pointed out that there are too many variations in the Linux genealogy to have an automated update feature that would cover each and every one.

Now, if you are wondering about a manual do-it-yourself upgrade, my best guess is that it would involve compiling and re-installing -- but then, I'm just an end-user, not a programmer.

HTH
-Roy
magerlab

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2009, 03:34    Post subject:  

for linux version there's no auto update
need to download from ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1010/final/en/i386/
manually and install

i have installation of opera via tgz ( not sfs) and to upgrade i ran install.sh from newer opera tgz( better to run from console to asnwer questions where to install and what files to overwrite)

i hope update will be included in next opera 10.5 wich is in pre-alpha stage ( not yet for linux though) and will not depend on qt so there's a chance to be in puppy iso:)

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2009, 06:19    Post subject:  

Thanks for the replies

I thought as much, maybe I could find a way to disable the update notification which I find distracting?

Roy

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2009, 11:14    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic,

From inside your Opera browser, go to

Tools > Preferences (Ctrl+F12) > Advanced > Security > Opera Update Scheme

-Roy
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan 2010, 19:52    Post subject:  

Thanks, I will next time I'm in Opera (I'm posting from Seamonkey atm).
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan 2010, 05:27    Post subject:  

I've just downloaded and installed the Opera 10.10 pet, but I get this error message;

However, these dependencies are missing.

File /usr/lib/opera/libQtGui.so.4 has these missing library files;

libaudio.so.2
libQt.core.so.4

Is there an easy way of locating and installing the missing files?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic.

SilverPuppy

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2010, 13:58    Post subject: Download Limit exceeded??!  

Come on, people! Can we get some servers that aren't going to shut down because Puppy is so popular?

I keep making the plug: My website has UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH and UNLIMITED STORAGE and I pay a premium for it and I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO USE IT TO END THIS PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!!

Why won't people take me seriously? I keep offering, even giving FTP creds to one or another user, and giving them their own folders, and they remain empty! WHY??!
Henry

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2010, 15:00    Post subject: Opera 10.10 bookmarks
Subject description: Any way to get rid of letters in parentheses?

Opera introduced these "hot keys" without any explanation or apparent way to get rid of them. They should'nt be there by default, in my opinion.
DMcCunney

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb 2010, 20:21    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
I've just downloaded and installed the Opera 10.10 pet, but I get this error message;

However, these dependencies are missing.

File /usr/lib/opera/libQtGui.so.4 has these missing library files;

libaudio.so.2
libQt.core.so.4

Is there an easy way of locating and installing the missing files?

There are a couple of different PETs of Opera 10 on the forums. I'm running Opera 10.10 in a static build, and I believe the one I used was from a pet called opera-10.10_static.pet. I don't see dependency issues.

Static builds are compiled to include as much of the library code as possible in the executable, instead of linking against external libraries when run. The executables are a lot larger than a dynamically built version, but load faster on the sort of hardware Puppy tends to be used on, and tend not to have the missing dependencies issues because the required library code is built it.

If you feel like hacking a bit, you can get a static Qt build from Opera. It's delivered as a DEB file for Debian/Ubuntu systems, but you can extract the needed parts and manually put them where they need to go.
______
Dennis
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb 2010, 16:40    Post subject:  

Thanks for the link Dennis. I should have said though that somebody's already pm'ed me with a link to a working pet of Opera 10.10 and I'm now using it.

Since you mention DEB files though, could you tell me how you extract files from one? I'd like to know for the future.

Thanks in advance,

CP .

DMcCunney

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb 2010, 17:02    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
Thanks for the link Dennis. I should have said though that somebody's already pm'ed me with a link to a working pet of Opera 10.10 and I'm now using it.

Since you mention DEB files though, could you tell me how you extract files from one? I'd like to know for the future.

I normally do it under Windows, but it can be done from Linux as well.

The DEB file is an archive that can be opened with an archive utility. Under Windows, I use the free, open source, 7zip package. Under Linux, I use Xarchiver.

The DEB file contains a control.gz archive and a data.gz archive. We don't care about the former, as it contains metadata used by the Debian package manager. The data.gz archive contains the actual program code.

The data.gz file in Opera, for instance, has an /etc directory with Opera entries, and a /usr directory containing bin, lib, and share subdirectories.

You could simply extract the /etc/ and /usr hierarchies to /, and the process would put the files where they are supposed to go.

You would need to do some fiddling to create the menu entries and the like for Puppy.

I believe the most recent Puppy Package Manager is supposed to handle DEB files, but I don't try to use it for them and can't say from experience how well it does.
______
Dennis
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010, 20:00    Post subject:  

Thanks for the info Dennis There used to be a utility in Vector called deb2tgz which converted deb files to tgz ones, but I haven't seen it in Vector Light (the version I'm using at the moment).
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010, 23:15    Post subject:  

Someone's actually created a deb2pet utility, but I'm not sure how well it works. See this post for more details.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2010, 10:10    Post subject:  

Thanks for the info.
Page 6 of 7 [96 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: