Startmount-0.5.5 Drive automount and program starter

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
davesurrey

some tests

#21 Post by davesurrey »

Sorry for the delay but did some testing.
Okay I tested this in the same PC but this time under ttuuxxx's pup4311 (based in puppy4.3):

I can confirm that
-- home is not displayed...good.
-- it displays drive info..good

I tried to set it to mount sda1 (ntfs), sdb2 (ext4), sdb10 (vfat), and sdc1 (vfat on a usb stick) but initially sdb10 just wouldn't mount. It mounted just fine manually using Pmount.

Then tried with sdb9, sdb10 and sdc1 and all got mounted !!

Then tried sda1, sdb2, sdb9, sdb10 and sdc1 again. This time sdb9 didn't get mounted, all the others did. Believe me this was not operator error.

However since then it has never failed whatever the combination I have tried. Can't be that it needed a reboot as it was getting that everytime.
Been trying to break it for a while but no go..so it looks good now.

Interesting that with StartMount installed the previously mounted partitions flash on the desktop (I mean the green led like lights on the drive icons ) after a reboot and then they change to represent the newly mounted ones. It doesn't do that if StartMount is not installed.

Going back to 214X-RC2, no I don't see any drive info if I mouse over a drive icon on the desktop. Is the info in just one file? If so what is it called in 431? I'd like to do a search for it?

Still think that some visual feedback as to how it is set-up would be a benefit.

Yes autostarting an app would be great.

HTH
Dave

01micko

#22 Post by 01micko »

Hi Dave,

In 4X pups the info is in /root/.pup_event/ .. then pick a drive and right click... look inside.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

vovchik

#23 Post by vovchik »

Dear 01micko,

This is a nice, useful app. My only problem on the desktop computer, where I have 2 internal drives, a USB stick and a 1.5 TB drive with 13 partitions, is that I cannot see all my drives. What about using a notebook widgets to show individual devices along with their partitions? Or scrolling? If I connect the 1.5 TB drive to my NC10, I will see only half the available devices, if that many.

With thanks and kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
drive-mount.jpg
(45.33 KiB) Downloaded 1876 times

01micko

#24 Post by 01micko »

vovchik

Many partitions I see. Yes we need to support that.

May I ask what OS you are using? You should get a readout of drives, filesystem and size.

Cheers.

davesurrey

#25 Post by davesurrey »

01micko wrote
In 4X pups the info is in /root/.pup_event/ .. then pick a drive and right click... look inside.
Thanks for that. So I guess it won't be poss to make this part of Startmount work for 214X.

However when I looked inside the /root/.pup_event folder I saw eg drive_sda and inside that an Appinfo_xml file which only gave me the HDD info not the partition info. I guess I am missing something here.

Thanks anyway

Cheers
Dave

vovchik

#26 Post by vovchik »

Dear 01micko,

I have 3.01 on the desktop and 4.10 (jaunty) on the NC10. On the NC10, I see the filesystem info just fine.

With kind regards,
vovchik

tasmod

#27 Post by tasmod »

Hmmm, thrown up some interesting version quirks.

For now it appears it will work correctly on puppy 4 series. This is because both mick and I were testing on 431 Stardust 003 and had limited drives to work on.

The drive size info is derived from the AppInfo.xml so maybe we should go to the alternative to scan and do our own sizing.
It was my suggestion not to re-invent the wheel there, as the info was already available in 4 series in the xml.

I came up with this because I've been working (slowly) on extending the 'tooltip' to reflect the free drive space also.

So it would appear on mouse_over as say :

Filesystem: ext3 Size: 9.6gb Free 3.2gb

Still, that's what feedback is for when we can't cater for all drives.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

tasmod

#28 Post by tasmod »

Dave,

here's what's in one of my drives info :-

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AppInfo>
  <Summary>Filesystem: ext2 Size: 8.2GB</Summary>
  <About>
   <Purpose>Drive icons are part of Puppy Event Manager, see System menu</Purpose>
   <Authors>Barry Kauler LGPL 2008</Authors>
  </About>
  <AppMenu>
   <Item option="pmount_drive" icon="gtk-harddisk"><Label>Run Pmount Puppy Drive Mounter</Label></Item><Item option="eventmanager" icon="gtk-execute"><Label>Run Desktop Drive Icon Manager</Label></Item><Item option="unmount" icon="gtk-harddisk"><Label>Unmount sda8 (if currently mounted)</Label></Item><Item option="unmountall" icon="gtk-harddisk"><Label>Unmount ALL mounted partitions</Label></Item>
  </AppMenu>
</AppInfo>
We grepped the summary tag, which is in fact the tooltip text.
Rob
-

davesurrey

#29 Post by davesurrey »

Thanks Rob,
Interestingly even though it's working well in puppy 4311 my /root/.pup_event/drive_sdb/AppInfo.xml file (for example) is
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AppInfo>
<Summary>Description: ATA Maxtor 6L250R0 Size: 233.8GB</Summary>
<About>
<Purpose>Drive icons are part of Puppy Event Manager, see System menu</Purpose>
<Authors>Barry Kauler LGPL 2008</Authors>
</About>
<AppMenu>
<Item option="pmount_drive" icon="gtk-harddisk"><Label>Run Pmount Puppy Drive Mounter</Label></Item><Item option="eventmanager" icon="gtk-execute"><Label>Run Desktop Drive Icon Manager</Label></Item><Item option="unmount" icon="gtk-harddisk"><Label>Unmount sdb (if currently mounted)</Label></Item><Item option="unmountall" icon="gtk-harddisk"><Label>Unmount ALL mounted partitions</Label></Item>
</AppMenu>
</AppInfo
which shows sdb the drive but no partition (it has 10 and sdb5 is home)
There does seem to be some difference between distros here.
Dave

tasmod

#30 Post by tasmod »

Just to check Dave,

In 4 series.

What do you get if you look into :-

/root/.pup_event/drive_sdb4/AppInfo.xml

Note the "sdb4" this should then give partition info for that one.

We are looking at another file common to it seems 2 thru 4 series for the drive info. However, it needs code to get the info and size conversion. (It's in blocks)

Must admit Mick is much faster than I am, although we tend to write almost identical code all the time :lol:
Rob
-

DemostiX

#31 Post by DemostiX »

I boot from a frugal installation of 4.31 on a partitioned USB memory stick. Startmount fails to mount the second, FAT32, partition on that memory stick, nor sda1, though I've checked both.

Is there otherwise a way to mount a partition w/o opening a display of directories and files on the partition? (Not that 2 extra clicks is real work.)

01micko

#32 Post by 01micko »

DemostiX

USB is still in an experimental stage, thanks for reporting. Should work ok if you only want to use usb drive as one of the partitions to mount.We will look into your issue as many people boot from usb and may want automatic access to other partitions at startup.

________

davesurrey and Dejan

We are addressing 214X issues as they crop up. We envisage that in next version these issues will be fixed.

Also, Dejan, support for MS extended partitions will be added for the next version.
________

vovchik

Have looked into better support for 3 series, but too much is missing of what we need to obtain drive information. A rewrite especially for 3 series would be time consuming and add bloat to the app and since our main focus is on 4 series and later full support for 3 series is unlikely, however the basic functionality of the app should still work if there is a working ~/Startup directory.

Your other issue with many drives will be supported, we are experimenting with different ideas on the best way to handle such situations while maintaining an intuitive interface.

_________

Thankyou for supporting Startmount and keep the comments, good and bad, coming.

Cheers

davesurrey

#33 Post by davesurrey »

Rob:
Something interesting. I never use Full installs anymore so what I reported as the output of Appinfo.xml was for my frugal install to HDD. ie sda and sdb only are shown. Just folders per drive not partition.

However I just looked at a Puppy 431 Full install and saw that /root/.pup_event had folders for each partition.

Then I realised that the folders in /root/.pup_event depend on how the desktop drive icon manager is set. That must explain why I got a different output to yours for AppInfo.xml.

01micko
Thanks for the input. I'll await whatever you have planned.

Thanks for all you and Rob are doing so far.

Dave

01micko

#34 Post by 01micko »

davesurrey wrote: Something interesting. I never use Full installs anymore so what I reported as the output of Appinfo.xml was for my frugal install to HDD. ie sda and sdb only are shown. Just folders per drive not partition.

[snip]

Dave
Dave, that would suggest to me that in 4311 you do not get the tooltips displayed when you hover the cursor over the drive icon on the desktop. It is dependent on those xml files and we use exactly the same information to display drive info in the Startmount gui. This may be a minor bug in 4311. Since it is based on 431 it would stand to reason that the files would be there, however they may have been removed for some other reason. Perhaps a question of ttuuxxx.

Do you get those tooltips? if you do then the information must be sourced from elsewhere.

This is also a difference in 214X, which we are working around. I am testing in 214X-RC2 at the moment.

As always, thanks for report.

Cheers

tasmod

#35 Post by tasmod »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for looking at those.

It's not possible we can test every situation as you can imagine, so we are relying on reports such as yours to help us cover all situations.

One more favour, can you look in sbin in 4311 and see if there is a file called 'probepart'

Work is continuing in background, but as we are 12,000 miles apart and a day time apart it's tricky.
Rob
-

davesurrey

#36 Post by davesurrey »

Rob,
Yes, you and 01micko are 12k apart but we are but a few counties (plus a heap of snow) apart!! :-)
Yes there is a nice probepart file in sbin on tuuxxx's 4311.

Rob and 01micko
I hope no-one is confused here. It all seems to be working the same in ttuuxxx's 4311 frugal as in puppy 431 full.

BUT...I don't get any filesystem info unless I have selected Desktop Drive Icon Switcher to "tick box for an icon for each partition". If I just select "tick box for drive icons on desktop" which gives me an icon for sda and one for sdb only then I don't get any filesystem info in your app.

As far as tooltips are concerned I always get this info on mousing over the desktop icons but of course only partition info if individual partitions are selected. If only individual drive icons are displayed it gives me info for the whole drive.

HTH
Dave

tasmod

#37 Post by tasmod »

OK Dave, great info.

To make sure we give info regardless of drive icon status or tooltip info, we intend to use 'probepart' which is common to 4 series and 214

--

Snowing like mad here, dropped 2 inches in two hours and still going.
Can't work as it is outdoor work at moment. Bet when it clears up I'll be inside again :?
Rob
-

davesurrey

#38 Post by davesurrey »

Thanks Rob. Glad to be of some little help.

The Sun is shining brightly here in Sunny Berkshire (I moved from Surrey a while ago). What do they say about it shining on the righteous?? :-)
But I guess ours is on its way.

Cheers
Dave

tasmod

#39 Post by tasmod »

Ver 0.0.2 in first post.
Rob
-

vovchik

#40 Post by vovchik »

Dear 01micko and tasmod,

Thanks. Ver 02, in Puppy 3.01, now gives me the partition type information (ntfs, vfat, ext3) and size that ver. 01 did not, so whatever you did, I like it. Now, the only outstanding issue is displaying a preponderance of partitions .... like on my 1.5 TB USB drive (where I have 13).

With kind regards,
vovchik