JWM 2.0.1 Enhancements and Fixes

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
disciple

#181 Post by disciple »

Oh - I don't seem to be able to operate the new confirmation windows using the keyboard... I guess this feature isn't complete yet :)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#182 Post by disciple »

That's weird. I had top running in an rxvt window. When I clicked the X I got the new jwm dialogue asking if I really wanted to exit it, so I said yes, and it killed jwm as well as the rxvt window.
Normally it doesn't ask when I close an rxvt window running top. I wonder if there is some sort of glitch in the code that detects whether it needs to ask or not...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#183 Post by disciple »

The other interesting thing I noticed is that when jwm is exited blinky and xload keep running, but freememapplet doesn't (neither do parcellite and absvolume, but they're different because they're not swallowed).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Argolance

#184 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Like some Puppy users, without being a 'purist', I don't like rounded windows corners. Is there a way to keep squared corners ? With the new version or JWM, frames of the inactive buttons of Ptray and taskbar are now missing. Curiously, concerning the start button, the problem doesn't occur with pictures 54x18 but only with 18x18 ones (please see pictures) ! Is it a bug or any set aesthetic purpose ?
Thank you a lot for your attention.
Attachments
Start_button.png
(4.9 KiB) Downloaded 2259 times
Ptray.png
(33.77 KiB) Downloaded 2340 times

Kevo

#185 Post by Kevo »

Patriot and joewing.

First, i want to say thank you very much for maintaining JWM. Everyone involved is providing an great service that nobody could possibly repay you for. I come from a community of linux users that is using JWM on small embedded Mips based netbooks. JWM is invaluable fo

Next, I want to say that the following question/comment is in no way a feature request, nagging demand etc. I'm sure you are going to think this request is insane.

Any idea why there is no GTK theme support in JWM? My reasoning for this is that, while you have made great strides in UI customization, adding GTK support would open the doors wide open in the field of window manager customization. while still staying relatively small on the footprint side.

disciple

#186 Post by disciple »

Like some Puppy users, without being a 'purist', I don't like rounded windows corners. Is there a way to keep squared corners ?
Yes, it can be compiled with [can't remember what it was] disabled, which is what I do. IIRC when you run `./configure --help` it tells you that it is required for round windows.
But it would be nice not to have to do a separate build for it...
Is there a way to keep squared corners ? With the new version or JWM, frames of the inactive buttons of Ptray and taskbar are now missing. Curiously, concerning the start button, the problem doesn't occur with pictures 54x18 but only with 18x18 ones (please see pictures) ! Is it a bug or any set aesthetic purpose ?
I've been wondering about the inconsistency there too :)
Any idea why there is no GTK theme support in JWM?
Are you just talking about parsing the GTK configuration to get font settings and stuff? Or actually rewriting JWM to be a GTK application? There are GTK window managers available...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Kevo

#187 Post by Kevo »

disciple wrote: Are you just talking about parsing the GTK configuration to get font settings and stuff?
yes, that's it. :)

abushcrafter

#188 Post by abushcrafter »

How do you enable the windows key and the menu key for good not just that xconfig but when you go to another computer and the xconfigy gets regenerated?

joel

#189 Post by joel »

Hi, Ive been using JWM 2.01 which I like, Thanks Patriot. Only two issues though. When I enable kcompmgr or xcompmgr the shadows and transparencies show fine, but when I open a window, then a folder within that window it leaves traces on the desktop of the prior window. If i move the windows around it clears the left overs up. Is there any way to have it just refresh itself. And secondly when I use one of the compmgrs pwidgets goes crazy with certian programs like celestia. When celestia is open the widgets flicked through even if I fulscreen celestia. Now it only happens when I have a compmgr active. My guess is that conky wants to draw windows on top of everything elese and this conflicts with kcompmgr.

Does any one have any ideas to these issues? I'm stumped.

dejan555

#190 Post by dejan555 »

Umm, is that really jwm on screenshot? :roll:
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

gposil

#191 Post by gposil »

Looks like IceWM to me
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

Patriot

#192 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
joel wrote: ..... When I enable kcompmgr or xcompmgr the shadows and transparencies show fine, but when I open a window, then a folder within that window it leaves traces on the desktop of the prior window.
Based on the screenshot, it really doesn't seem to be JWM as JWM does not support pixmap captions ... I believe that you seem to be having some issues with IceWM ...
..... secondly when I use one of the compmgrs pwidgets goes crazy with certian programs like celestia. When celestia is open the widgets flicked through even if I fulscreen celestia. Now it only happens when I have a compmgr active.
Is this the celestia 3d space simulation? ... If it is, then OpenGL is presumed to be active/working and it is probably a driver related issue ... certain drivers requires tweaking the xorg.conf file to work with composite properly ... I couldn't remember off hand but nvidia cards seems to need a tweak ...
..... My guess is that conky wants to draw windows on top of everything elese and this conflicts with kcompmgr.
Not quite so ... the conky version used in pwidgets were patched to draw on rox desktop canvas (if specified by the individual widget). I did some initial pwidgets testing back then on composite screens and did not encounter such conflicts ... I'll do some tests again later and see how it goes .....

Rgds

joel

#193 Post by joel »

oh yes that is ICEwm, But there is also issues in JWM, I guess I should have had screen shot of that. But is so quick its hard to get one. When I close a window it doesnt fade smoothly rather closes (excuse the description i dont know what is called) with a sort of diagonal tearing as it closes. But it makes sense its my driver. I have an ATI Radeon 7500 which isnt supported by ati at all, so I can only use a generic driver. Ive tweaked it a bit to make it run better but I guess I could look into the xorg.conf some more. Thanks Patriot.

abushcrafter

#194 Post by abushcrafter »

Evil Bump!

So does anyone know the answer to my Question?
How do you enable the windows key and the menu key for good not just that xconfig but when you go to another computer and the xconfigy gets regenerated?

disciple

#195 Post by disciple »

What do you mean by "that xconfigy"?
What are you trying to enable exactly? In the old days the files for the actual keymapping in Puppy weren't quite right for my keyboards, so I added lines to ~/.Xmodmap to map them... e.g.

Code: Select all

keycode 117 = Menu
At least the menu key is recognised correctly now, so I don't need that anymore. But that sort of issue is nothing to do with JWM.

With some window managers I think you can make the Windows key bring up the Menu by itself or do other things with various other key combinations, like MS Windows. I don't think that is possible with JWM as I don't think you can use a key as both a modifier and a key that does something by itself. I don't use all the other combinations, so I just use xmodmap to map my Windows keys as F13 and F14, and then put this in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal (note for clicking on the root window (~"deskop") my main menu is bound to mouse button three... I can't remember what the default is)

<Key key="F13">root:3</Key>
<Key key="F14">root:3</Key>
But it doesn't really sound like your question is about the actual JWM configuration... perhaps you could explain more?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

abushcrafter

#196 Post by abushcrafter »

...No there was a post earlier in the thread by some one else.

/ect/X11/xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
	Option      "XkbLayout" "gb" #xkeymap0
	Option 		"XkbOptions"   "altwin:menu"
	Option 		"XkbOptions"   "altwin:super_win"
EndSection
now the:

Option 		"XkbOptions"   "altwin:menu"
	Option 		"XkbOptions"   "altwin:super_win
Options get lost when you go to another computer where xorg generates a new xorg.confg. So what file do I need to edit to keep those options?
Last edited by abushcrafter on Thu 07 Jan 2010, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#197 Post by disciple »

I haven't had a proper look at how it works, but I suspect you could either add them to this part of /usr/sbin/xorgwizard (in which case they'd have to be properly quoted)

if [ "$XSECTION" = "InputDevice" -a "$IDENTIFIER" = "Keyboard0" ] ; then
     TEMPSECTION="$TEMPSECTION
	Option      \"XkbRules\" \"xorg\"
	Option      \"XkbModel\" \"pc102\"
	Option      \"XkbLayout\" \"$XKEYMAP\" #xkeymap0"
Or maybe you could add an InputDevice section to /etc/X11/xorg.conf0

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

abushcrafter

#198 Post by abushcrafter »

disciple wrote:I haven't had a proper look at how it works, but I suspect you could either add them to this part of /usr/sbin/xorgwizard (in which case they'd have to be properly quoted)

if [ "$XSECTION" = "InputDevice" -a "$IDENTIFIER" = "Keyboard0" ] ; then
     TEMPSECTION="$TEMPSECTION
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
	Option      "XkbLayout" "$XKEYMAP" #xkeymap0"
Or maybe you could add an InputDevice section to /etc/X11/xorg.conf0
Arr so that's what I did wrong. I will try this!
disciple wrote: Or maybe you could add an InputDevice section to /etc/X11/xorg.conf0
tried that all ready and it failed :(.

joel

#199 Post by joel »

I know it seems simple, but as a work around you could just create a base xorg.conf with the options you want and then copy it over when switching to a different computer.

abushcrafter

#200 Post by abushcrafter »

sorry got it working. (there was a lot of yee, yee, yee, yee, yee, yee and :D )

To joel: no that is not practical for me as I switch between a lot of computers!