Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 26 Jul 2014, 15:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Removed !! Softmaker Office 2008 25MBpet cutdown english
Page 3 of 5 [66 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
charlie6

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2009, 08:53    Post subject:  

Hi,
DaveS wrote:
Is a database app included?

have quickly tested Softmaker-french:
(thanks esmourguit for the french 25MB pet ! given on the french Puppy=Toutou's forum )
textmaker includes a database (click on "complement" in the menubar): it can create, modify or associate an existing database. It can read .dbf files
(I could import a database exported from MS Works in .dbf format (except that accentuated characters are not recognized...): very usefull and fast to perform mail merging.

Cheers
Charlie
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec 2009, 06:55    Post subject: How hard is it to cut it down yourself?
Subject description: Softmaker Removed pet

How hard is it to make a pet from the program I downloaded from their site?
I have used nlight to re master windows, is it all that much different?
pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec 2009, 08:19    Post subject:  

Not difficult at all. I used dir2sfs to make it sfs. It works ok. It is even on my menu under jwm. Dir2pet should make pet as easily. Not used it myself because I try make apps easily installable and uninstallable sfs. But process should be as easy.

I am sure someone can give you more info howto use dir2pet. Or use search dir2pet.
davec51

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec 2009, 11:11    Post subject: Trouble with Softmaker
Subject description: Envelopes

I like Textmaker, too, but when I try to format and use its envelope facility, the font comes out at 24-point or larger no matter what I do. Most of the text is off the envelope. I asked for help on their forum, but I have not had a reply for five days.
Does anyone here have a solution?
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan 2010, 04:40    Post subject: Envelopes
Subject description: Click on A

Hi

I don't have a printer compatible with Linux yet to test it tonight but there is an A above that sender and recipient fields that is suppose to let you change the fonts. It does not seem to though. As soon as you unclick the window it says 10p..
John_C

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jan 2010, 13:54    Post subject: Pet is gone..but...  

OK.. I was one of those who was only able to download less than 4mb of the pet for Softmaker Office Suite.

What is the best way to install Softmaker's version (linux from their web site) in Puppy?
It's pretty easy to see I want a way of avoiding the work of changing it into a pet install. Yes I have a License.
rameshiyer

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan 2010, 00:07    Post subject: Softmaker
Subject description: Printer

Installation of Softmaker Office 2008 (Pet file) is very simple. However, I have a problem of printing. I have installed Network Printer Toshiba eStudio452. But the same is not listing in Textmaker (softmaker office 2008). Whereas, the my printer is available in Open Office and Browser etc and other applications.
John_C

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan 2010, 00:23    Post subject:
Subject description: Original SoftMaker Office install..

Well the problem is the "pet" file I downloaded is no good....

I have a License but I'm not sure which download to get from Softmaker, or how best to install it in Puppy. SoftMaker doesn't have a download that is just for Puppy. I have installed previous versions in other Distros though.

OK call me lazy Embarassed but I don't want to make a pet install myself..
MrToad

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan 2010, 08:45    Post subject:  

John_C,

Two weeks ago I downloaded the generic ("Other LInuxes") softmaker-office-2008.tgz file from the SoftMaker website, clicked it, which brought up Puppy's Xarchiver program, selected all files within it (there were just just two - an installer file called installsmoffice and a big office.tgz), extracted them, and clicked on the installer file. It all went astonishingly easily, which alarmed me as I felt sure it couldn't be this simple!

I've been using SO since, and have had no problems. This is in Puppy 4.21.

Hope this helps.

MrToad
John_C

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan 2010, 12:58    Post subject:
Subject description: SoftMaker install in Puppy

Thank you MrToad -- that's a big help. This shouldn't be too difficult, even for an old guy.

Would be nice if SoftMaker would just put a Puppy Pet on their download site though.... I did ask about this a while back and got a somewhat generic reply.
vovchik

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan 2010, 16:28    Post subject:  

Dear Puppians,

Softmaker have a Linux beta Office2010 package ready. The word processor handles docx nicely, and is very, very fast. I say this because I am a beta tester. I have run it successfully in 3.01 and 4.10 (jaunty). The installation archive is 138 MB - but this could certainly be cut down for any future Puppy. I am impressed.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan 2010, 16:17    Post subject: 2010 Softmaker
Subject description: Cutting it down

As soon as I am at a high speed line I will download 2010 and see how far I can trim it without losing function.
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan 2010, 02:33    Post subject: Trimed down 2010
Subject description: Works well

Downloaded the tgz file,made a copy to work on, opened it with archive manager in Ubuntu and trimmed all the locals. Went from 137 mgs to 56 !

Works great so far. I was disappointed the beta test only lasts a month.
I was hoping they would give the beta testers a copy. Maybe they still will.

For the fellow who did not get the pet download the tgz file, open it with puppies archive program and remove all the languages you don;y need. I left the Spanish dictionary and all the English files [save the UK En} and it worked fine. Be careful when you close the program to click on the button that says to update! You should be able to open it in terminal and then the install is automatic. It put the buttons in the Office menu on Ubuntu. The pet put them in the Puppy menu but you need to ask someone more capable than me if the normal install program will do the same in Puppy .

I may just live with 2008 in Puppy until I find out if they are going to cut the beta testers a deal.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan 2010, 07:54    Post subject:  

Is this still active? I thought the free download ended on New Year's Eve.
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 30 GB hard drive running Puppy Precise 5.7.1 csipesz, Puppy 2.14X Classic Top10, Puppy EmSee v2.1, Puppy 3.01 Fire Hydrant, Puppy 4.12 Retro, Legacy OS2 LTS, Legacy OS4 and Midnight Sun 003.
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan 2010, 00:30    Post subject: SoftMaker  

Colonel Panic wrote:
Is this still active? I thought the free download ended on New Year's Eve.

As for now some of those who downloaded a key were given an opportunity to beta test the 2010 version.

We hope the 2008 version goes GPL . If you have no key it is over for now.

Never know though, you could write them an e-mail and ask if they would make an exception, all they can do is say no.

The 2008 pet I downloaded was 59 mg , it still had all the locals, when I build my new puppy I will cut it down as well.

Last edited by Frank Cox on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 17:40; edited 1 time in total
Page 3 of 5 [66 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to: