ppp daemon has died exit code = 0

mikep

ppp daemon has died exit code = 0

#1 Post by mikep »

Anyone know why I get the following error immediately after connecting to the internet via dialup:
PPP daemon has died exit code = 0
I'm using an old laptop with 96 M RAM and a Xircom credit card modem 56T with Puppy version 431. It was working fine when booting from the CD but as soon as I did a full install to the hard drive and setup grub (Windows 98 is also installed) this problem appeared.
Any ideas what's going on? I'm a new user by the way and not familar with inner workings of linux.

mikep

#2 Post by mikep »

By the way, I tried loading Puppy to a USB stick to get around the problem, but it appears the bios is too old to allow booting from USB. Booting from the CD still works fine so I'll just do that unless someone has an idea. I've exhausted my limited thoughts on what will fix the problem.

sindi

#3 Post by sindi »

Same problem with an external modem on /ttyS0, recognized by Puppy 4.30 if plugged in during boot. Pavilion N5415 has built-in ESS winmodem which is NOT working in XP, nor is the external modem - 'Phone and Modem control panel cannot be opened'. The modem works fine in DOS with kermit to dial my local BBS, and in basiclinux 2-floppy edition with eznet dialer.