1.0.7b: Xorg just doesn't work for me (Solved)

Please post any bugs you have found
Flash
Official Dog Handler

1.0.7b: Xorg just doesn't work for me (Solved)

#1 Post by Flash »

I've tried every option Xorg offers when I boot the Puppy live CD on my (i815T chipset; 256 MB) machine, and every time I "take the plunge" my computer locks up solid.

When I choose Xorg at boot it offers a maximum resolution of 800 x 600, which does not approach what even my cheapo LCD display can do. But no matter which resolution I choose, even the minimum resolution of 640 x 480, the screen goes to multicolored vertical stripes and the computer will not respond to any input except the "off" button.

Any suggestions? (Nice ones. :) )
Last edited by Flash on Sat 21 Jan 2006, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

I would stick with xvesa
get a supported graphic card
or see if there is xorg info / developers that can help

also maybe there is a test that can be run to see what the error is - leading to a solution?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pakt

#3 Post by pakt »

Flash, your problem may be related to the xorgwizard frequency display bug.

I just added a post to the thread http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4847

On the ThinkPad R51 (with 855GME chipset - i810 family), the wizard does not succeed in finding the horz and vert frequencies, but in spite of that does produce a correct 1024x768 display. :shock:

I still don't quite understand why that is so. I'm currently studying the xorgwizard to see how it works.

Paul

pakt

Re: 1.0.7b: Xorg just doesn't work for me

#4 Post by pakt »

Flash wrote:I've tried every option Xorg offers when I boot the Puppy live CD on my (i815T chipset; 256 MB) machine, and every time I "take the plunge" my computer locks up solid.
I just fired up my old Intel i815 desktop and got the same results. The machine seems to hang when xorgwizard attempts to draw the 40sec test display. The keyboard is dead and only rebooting works at this point.
Flash wrote: When I choose Xorg at boot it offers a maximum resolution of 800 x 600, which does not approach what even my cheapo LCD display can do. But no matter which resolution I choose, even the minimum resolution of 640 x 480, the screen goes to multicolored vertical stripes and the computer will not respond to any input except the "off" button.
Here my experience was a little different. I was presented with "Please choose a video mode" and got a long list to choose from. The LCD display supports 1024x768 so I choose 1024x768x16 and continued.

Then after "Okay, just about to take the plunge" and pressing "OK" the machine hangs.

The xorgwizard mod "xrandr -d :0 -q" didn't make any difference.

Paul

Glitchman

Same problem on my Intel 815

#5 Post by Glitchman »

I have the exact same problem with Puppy 1.07 on my Intel 815. It goes through several weird color cycles, and then the big freeze. Control-Alt-Delete eventually works if I hit it a few times. Nothing else works, including Control-Alt-Backspace. It looks like I will be sticking with 1.06 + Xorg682c, since only that seems to work (as I know some of you are already aware.)

Until then, I will be anxious to see if 1.08 works out of the box....

MU

#6 Post by MU »

If someone wants to try it with Puppy 107:
this is the i810_drv.o from the xorg 6.8.2 dotpup.
http://dotpups.de/diverse-tgz/i810_drv.o.tar.gz

Extract to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers

Try it with a new pup001 first.
Mark

pakt

#7 Post by pakt »

Mark, thanks! Your i810 driver from xorg682 solved the problem on my old i815 desktop.

No more colored vertical lines. Instead it is running xorg nicely at 1024x768x16.

Flash & Glitchman, you should really try this.

Also, this should be added to sp107...

Paul

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Yup, that fixed the problem. Thanks, MU. I'm running 1.0.7 from the live CD, with a pup001 file on my Mandrake ext3 partition.

I chose 1024 x 768 resolution at the intial Xorg setup. I normally use 800 x 600. When I changed to 800 x 600 the browser window started up too big for the screen, and got way too big when it was maximized. Evidently not everything is getting the message when I change resolution. Or do I need to reboot to make everything aware of the new resolution?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

this should be added to sp107
dotpups are really intended to be clicked to install
the thing is, X windows needs to be running to do this

it would be possible to modify the dotpup handler script so that it also will work in console mode ... dialog could be used instead of xmessage, but i would probably just skip asking if you really want to unzip the package, and if you really want to install the package (i put in those questions in case a dotpup file was clicked by accident, and to give you a chance to change your mind if you realize you don't actually have enough space to unzip the package)

the package would also need to be changed to work in console mode as well as gui mode ... this could be easily done, by checking DISPLAY, for example

to install a dotpup file from the command line, you would probably type something like dotpup sp107.pup ... i know that Puppy already has a program called dotpup, but it would be easy to add a couple of lines to the script so that this would work ... or there could be a program with a different name

and you would have to download the dotpup package ... either from another machine, or from Puppy if you can setup your internet connection and find the url of the package

the point is, dotpups were intended to work after X has started ... the handler could be modifled to work in a CLI, but it doesn't work that way now, so you would need X running to use it to fix the problem that X is not running

another thing that dotpups really can't do well or at all, is change the way Puppy boots ... to change that, you really need to remaster Puppy ... of course, dotpups were not intended for this purpose ... pupget packages would not work any better, though they can be used if Puppy is remastered

pakt

#10 Post by pakt »

GuestToo wrote:
this should be added to sp107
dotpups are really intended to be clicked to install
the thing is, X windows needs to be running to do this
Yes, a Catch-22 situation :(
GuestToo wrote:it would be possible to modify the dotpup handler script so that it also will work in console mode ... dialog could be used instead of xmessage, but i would probably just skip asking if you really want to unzip the package, and if you really want to install the package (i put in those questions in case a dotpup file was clicked by accident, and to give you a chance to change your mind if you realize you don't actually have enough space to unzip the package)

the package would also need to be changed to work in console mode as well as gui mode ... this could be easily done, by checking DISPLAY, for example

to install a dotpup file from the command line, you would probably type something like dotpup sp107.pup ... i know that Puppy already has a program called dotpup, but it would be easy to add a couple of lines to the script so that this would work ... or there could be a program with a different name

and you would have to download the dotpup package ... either from another machine, or from Puppy if you can setup your internet connection and find the url of the package

the point is, dotpups were intended to work after X has started ... the handler could be modifled to work in a CLI, but it doesn't work that way now, so you would need X running to use it to fix the problem that X is not running
Would it be worth modifying dotpup to be able to run in a CLI?

Perhaps to meet furure needs?

Other bugs/problems could arise where a user can't get the GUI working.

MU's xorg682 dotpup needed to run in a CLI for some people.

So the question really is, is there any other way of applying updates/bugfixes to GUI problems?

Paul

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

I can put that new i810 driver into the next release of Puppy.
That won't be too far off, so you don't really need to worry about
putting it into a service pack.

I want to keep the Xorg version in sync with Vector, so will only
upgrade the entire package when decide to move up to the next Vector version
( Vector 5.2STD?).

So, I only have to do one thing, right?, just replace the i810_drv.o
with the new one?

MU

#12 Post by MU »

yes Barry, thats all.
Mark

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

Flash wrote:... I chose 1024 x 768 resolution at the intial Xorg setup. I normally use 800 x 600. When I changed to 800 x 600 the browser window started up too big for the screen, and got way too big when it was maximized. Evidently not everything is getting the message when I change resolution. Or do I need to reboot to make everything aware of the new resolution?
Reconfiguring Xorg from the start, using the wizard, solved the problem. Now everything works perfectly at 800 x 600 and the text is large enough to read. :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:
Flash wrote:... I chose 1024 x 768 resolution at the intial Xorg setup. I normally use 800 x 600. When I changed to 800 x 600 the browser window started up too big for the screen, and got way too big when it was maximized. Evidently not everything is getting the message when I change resolution. Or do I need to reboot to make everything aware of the new resolution?
Reconfiguring Xorg from the start, using the wizard, solved the problem. Now everything works perfectly at 800 x 600 and the text is large enough to read. :)
If you choose 1024x768, then run that resolution changer, it has a "Permanent" button. Maybe it's not too clear, but you click that, then reboot -- or maybe just exit from X and restart X.
The resolution changer will still allow you to change back to 1024x768 anytime.

Thanks for the tip(s)

#15 Post by guest »

Well, I'm glad I performed a search prior to asking how to solve this one. We'll have to get the man in charge an i810-based laptop! Without the driver substitution I was running @ 640x400x16 w/ Xvesa... talk about squished. Things are certainly much nicer @ 1024x1280x24!