How to Clone / create PuppyLinux multi-session CD image

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
goodpuppy

How to Clone / create PuppyLinux multi-session CD image

#1 Post by goodpuppy »

I have 2 old machines. I have configured one to my taste and save all the config on the PuppyLinux CD itself.

Now I want to clone that CD to boot my second machine.

I tried
- readcd dev=0,0,0 f=/cygdrive/D/Docs/puppy.iso
- use ImgBurn to create the CD image
- use IsoBuster to create the CD image

All my attempts failed to create the CD image of my original PuppyLinux live cd that has all my configuations. Error is there some bad sector on the CD that can not be read.

Is there a command on PuppyLinux itself that allows me to clone the PuppyLinux Live-CD?

Thanks.

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

Why not just use Pburn to "Copy disk..."?

goodpuppy

#3 Post by goodpuppy »

PBurn "Copy disk ..." also doesn't work (got I/O error while reading like all my previous attempts).

I still let PBurn finish burning the new disk and all I am getting is vanilla clean PuppyLinux Live-CD (working) without my saved sessions.

Looks like PBurn (and all the other CD copy/imaging apps) are only able to read the first Session burned on the Live-CD. All the subsequent sessions which contain my saved configurations are not readable.

Can some suggest any other alternatives to Clone a PuppyLinux Live-CD with configurations saved on the same CD?

Thanks.

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

I think you need to have another look.
I've never used multisession Puppy but from what Flash has said I understand there is an option to manually start a new disc (rather than waiting until the disc is full before starting a new one), which I think is all you need. This would not copy all the individual sessions from your old disc onto a new one (as separate sessions), but would copy the up-to-date Puppy filesystem to a single session on the new disc.
Last edited by disciple on Mon 11 Jan 2010, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

How about using Dougal's remaster script to make a remastered copy?

And then perhaps use Pburn to copy that?

There are LOTS more goodies in my Puppy Linux thread.
To see them:
Start here at the end, and work back to the beginning.

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

BTW I'm not actually sure if it's possible to truly clone all the sessions on a disc as they are, in one go, using cdrtools (or anything)... this might be similar to my problem of wanting to copy mixed-mode CDs on the fly.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Does pburn have an import session option.?..regardless of that I have built up multisessions session by session with it but failed when trying to copy the lot...when mounted all the folders should show up.
There may also be a bios/optical driver problem going on

mike

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Does pburn have an import session option.?
Yes, but that is for adding a session to the same disc.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

I remembered...its supposed to give a true value of how much of the disk is used already so not relevant.
But I definitely have added several sessions one at a time with it as long as multisession is selected every time.

mike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Here's how to do it: boot a multisession CD in the drive you will be using to burn the new CD, then remove it from the drive and replace it with a blank CD-R or -RW. (Probably best to start with a -RW if you have one, until you're sure you've worked all the bugs out. :D ) Now use Burniso2cd to burn the same Puppy iso to the blank CD as you used to make the first multisession CD. (I've found that it works best to copy the iso to /tmp first, and tell Burniso2cd to use the copy in /tmp.) After Burniso2cd confirms a good burn, shut Puppy down, choosing to Save to the newly burned CD. That's it.

The newly burned CD should have saved in its first session everything that was saved in all the sessions of the old CD. I call it defragmenting a multisession CD or DVD.

Multisession Puppy works better from a DVD than from a CD, so if the computer has a DVD burner, you can boot a multisession Puppy CD in it, then use this trick to make a multisession DVD (any kind of DVD except DVD-RAM will work) with the settings and programs from the CD.

goodpuppy

#11 Post by goodpuppy »

Thanks Flash. It's working as you described.

I am now able to Clone my multisession PuppyLinux Live-CD ... plus it compacts "defragment" everything ... very cool !!!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

You can use the same trick to upgrade your multisession CD or DVD to the next version of Puppy, though I haven't tried it with Puppy variants. I use a DVD+RW for multisession because Burniso2cd will burn a new iso to it without having to blank the disk first.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]