Black Screen Question

Using applications, configuring, problems
8-bit

Black Screen Question

#1 Post by 8-bit »

First, the PC has Amd Athlon X2 4800 Dual Core processor and 3 gigs of ram.
Running Puppy 431 frugal when I mount my windows NTFS partition and try navigating to deep subdirectories, the screen goes black, but the task bar and menu button stay.
If I then start ROX from the menu, that subdirectory is shown.
But why is the screen blanking out on trying to access deep subdirectories on a mounted drive?
Is it a matter of too many files in the tree for memory to handle?

I am using Xorg with a compiled, against the kernel, Nvidia driver.
The bootlog file says something about the Nvidia driver tainting the kernel also.

This is the error message using dmesg: ROX-Filer[6669]: segfault at 1700000 ip 080a51c9 sp bfa69440 error 4 in ROX-Filer[8048000+6d000]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I doubt that the problem is caused by too many files. I have a NTFS directory with over a thousand subdirectories, each of which contains on average over 200 files. No Puppy (I'm currently using 4.3.1) has ever had any problem opening it, reading anything in it or writing to it.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

Try using Xfe to do the job and see if it also has a problem doing this [or NOT].

i.e. Is it only a ROX problem, or does it go further?

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

It appears it is either a ROX problem or a combination of it and other software I have installed. And I have installed a lot.
My pupsave, according to Puppy Space in desktop widgets, is setting at 2.2 gigs. My swap partition, although mounted, basically remains unused. I will have to try a virgin install of Puppy 431 and see if the problem still shows.
Flash has nearly the same hardware as I do. Although he is running from a DVD. I am running from a second IDE 200 gig hard drive with a 40 gig partition formatted ext2 with a frugal install of Puppy.
FYI XFE does not create a black screen when accessing the deep directories on the NTFS partition on the 1st drive.
Also, when I access that NTFS partition with ROX, I can see the icons for files being drawn as ROX discovers them in the tree.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Well for a test if you have puppy 2 with the gtk1 rox try that...I have made some interesting findings . I would be pointing the finger at gtk2...the source of all bugginess depending on how it got there.
Is it any better with thumbnails disabled?

mike

8-bit

#6 Post by 8-bit »

mikeb,
Thumbnails are disabled in ROX by me. The Partition is 286 gigs with 100 gigs used.
Last time I checked, there were over 3 million files on that partition.
I started by clicking on the hotpup icon to mount it.
I then navigated to Windows and then system32.
Rox in Puppy was still trying to read the contents of the Windows directory when I clicked on the system32 directory.
And there was corruption as to the of the displayed files with overlapping and blank areas.
I have not tried Puppy 2 series yet as I would have to create yet another frugal install to go along with the 12 frugal installs I have now.

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

You could install the gtk1.2 rox in your current puppy if you really want...
I then navigated to Windows and then system32
I don't know what's special about them, but I have had Rox crash opening one or both of those folders in the past... but I think the way it crashed was that it just disappeared.
mikeb wrote:I would be pointing the finger at gtk2...the source of all bugginess
That's good, I might use it sometime :wink:
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

disciple wrote:You could install the gtk1.2 rox in your current puppy if you really want...
Where do we find it? Is there a .pet? ROX is having a problem copying large files to a USB flash memory for me.

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Last time I checked, there were over 3 million files on that partition.
wow..well since rox collects substantial amounts of metadata from each file and ntfs would provide plenty of that via the slower user space driver I would say it's falling in a memory entangled heap and that you have hit a limitation there.

If I browse our website with rox via curlftpfs it is painfully slow as is the gtk file browser which does the same (was a big problem with movies on cameras via gphotofs) ...a sync program using find and cp on the other hand was fast.

Horses for courses...when I plug in a 1TB fat32 drive to XP it spends 5 minutes scanning it before it appears in explorer whereas in puppy it is instantaneous.

mike

ps debian gtk2 libs 'do it right' :)...but no help here I suspect....no crashing and tablet support..deep joy :)

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

Where do we find it? Is there a .pet?
In petget select the Puppy 2 repository and it should show up I think... otherwise you might need to manually browse the repository on the ibiblio server.
Depends on the gtk12 and glib12 packages of course.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER