Puppy Stardust 004

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
zigbert

#61 Post by zigbert »

Trio
We both agree on the joy of a complete theme choosing system. How great it would be to have a theme-preset-chooser. - One click and my complete Puppy system goes from Deepthought-Brown to Stardust-Blue :D

However, we might not agree on which road that leads to it.
Your 'Desktop Display Profile Mananger' is a nice try, but I think it has some weaknesses:
- The original switchers (gtk/icons...) separately has their strengths showing graphics preview.
- It does not contain theme settings of all Puppy/Stardust components. Cursor theme, widgets theme, analog clock theme)

KISS :D
Sigmund

zigbert

#62 Post by zigbert »

gerry wrote:Is there/will there be a retro version? Puppy 431 with the modern kernel won't run on my old machine- it needs the retro version of 431.

gerry
I have no plans for it....this is just a playground for the Stardust Desktop. On the other hand, it is not hard to do, so at some final stage, it could be done.....

Sigmund

zigbert

#63 Post by zigbert »

aragon wrote:
One problem for me is Geany. It will not run 'execute' on scripts but instead generates a geany-run-Script file.
try to set the pref for terminal to

Code: Select all

/usr/X11R7/bin/xterm -e bash -c
this might solve the issue.

aragon
Wonderful :D - It works

Thank you
Sigmund

trio

#64 Post by trio »

Sigmund,

I was just pulling your leg,....anyway..you might want to update freq scaling ondemand tool...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45143

01micko

#65 Post by 01micko »

Just a thought Sigmund FWIW...

I notice defaulttextviewer opens geany (edit, no I changed that from nicoedit). MIME types for all text files are set to defaulttexteditor That's fine, but some programs in their 'help' defaulttextviewer is called (including some in Pwidgets).

Technosaurus uses Xdialog as a text viewer as referenced here and he has used this method elsewhere for awhile.

Perhaps, as simple textviewer, this could be used.

#!/bin/sh
Xdialog --title "Textviewer" --textbox $1 0 0 
naming it as "textviewer" and changing defaultextviewer accordingly.

Cheers
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

trio

#66 Post by trio »

01micko wrote:Just a thought Sigmund FWIW...

I notice defaulttextviewer opens geany. MIME types for all text files are set to defaulttexteditor That's fine, but some programs in their 'help' defaulttextviewer is called (including some in Pwidgets).

Technosaurus uses Xdialog as a text viewer as referenced here and he has used this method elsewhere for awhile.

Perhaps, as simple textviewer, this could be used.

#!/bin/sh
Xdialog --title "Textviewer" --textbox $1 0 0 
naming it as "textviewer" and changing defaultextviewer accordingly.

Cheers
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 361#335361 :lol:

tasmod

#67 Post by tasmod »

Zigbert and Aragon,

Thank you that worked perfect. I had been trying to alter the config to do that, when in fact its in preferences.

I was talking of Geany for the start directory. It occasionally threw up an error message that the directory didn't exist on start up. So I went off looking for the source of the error.
It's in the 'preferences' , the start up directory is set to a French sounding directory. Legacy from the Geany build perhaps?
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

zigbert

#68 Post by zigbert »

Hi guys
- I have updated cpu-scaling-tool
- Added Trios fileeditor as defaulttextviewer
- improved/fixed geanys prefs

Wouldn't it be logical to define those default***** apps in PCC. Pizzasgood made a gui for this a long time ago. Have anyone seen it recently?

Ok, now I am ready for the gallows......... :D

I have made a new option in PCC - 'Index filesystem at boot for faster file-search'. With this on, it will give much faster search in Pfind when using it first time. The indexing is given lowest cpu priority to not interfere with other tasks.

The favorite menu is reachable both via main menu and mouse-mid-button.

Bruce_n_Duane

Virtural Desktops fixed

#69 Post by Bruce_n_Duane »

Hello Zigbert,

I wanted to let you know that you fixed the virtual desktops in pcc (Puppy Control Center) in Startdust 004!!!! Thanks

The Ptray portion is different by reading this discussion I see how you have it working now. It is not obvious.

Suggestion: Maybe use the blank area near the top of the Ptray window for text instructions based on the section of code being executed. I do not know how hard that would be to implement.

Thank you for all your work.

zigbert

#70 Post by zigbert »

Bruce_n_Duane wrote:Suggestion: Maybe use the blank area near the top of the Ptray window for text instructions based on the section of code being executed. I do not know how hard that would be to implement.
This is the developers dilemma. - For me it is obvious. What explanation do you have in mind?

Sigmund

trio

#71 Post by trio »

trio

#72 Post by trio »

zigbert

#73 Post by zigbert »

Ziggy, you must use this:
I must :D
Updated SFS Converter to 1.4-1
I am already uploading 005, but will update for 006.

Thank you
Sigmund

CRF

#74 Post by CRF »

I love Puppy Stardust! I have it installed on my laptop and I tried it mainly because of my wireless is broadcom and needed to use the WL module. I've installed XFCE 4.61 because I also liked using NOP. I use NOP413r2 on my desktop. My laptop uses ATI graphics and the newest drive I can use is 9.2, which doesn't work 100% because of the kernel.

My joystick that works well with my desktop (running NOP413r2) doesn't seem to work on Puppy Stardust 004. I've tried Modprobe joydev and Modprobe anallog, no luck. In the DEV folder when I plug in the joystick and unplug it, I see that js1 appears and disappears. The maker of Puppy Arcade provided me with a pet to automatically set up my joystick at boot time, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Anyone with any ideas?