Removed !! Softmaker Office 2008 25MBpet cutdown english

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
vovchik

#41 Post by vovchik »

Dear Puppians,

Softmaker have a Linux beta Office2010 package ready. The word processor handles docx nicely, and is very, very fast. I say this because I am a beta tester. I have run it successfully in 3.01 and 4.10 (jaunty). The installation archive is 138 MB - but this could certainly be cut down for any future Puppy. I am impressed.

With kind regards,
vovchik

Frank Cox

2010 Softmaker

#42 Post by Frank Cox »

As soon as I am at a high speed line I will download 2010 and see how far I can trim it without losing function.

Frank Cox

Trimed down 2010

#43 Post by Frank Cox »

Downloaded the tgz file,made a copy to work on, opened it with archive manager in Ubuntu and trimmed all the locals. Went from 137 mgs to 56 !

Works great so far. I was disappointed the beta test only lasts a month.
I was hoping they would give the beta testers a copy. Maybe they still will.

For the fellow who did not get the pet download the tgz file, open it with puppies archive program and remove all the languages you don;y need. I left the Spanish dictionary and all the English files [save the UK En} and it worked fine. Be careful when you close the program to click on the button that says to update! You should be able to open it in terminal and then the install is automatic. It put the buttons in the Office menu on Ubuntu. The pet put them in the Puppy menu but you need to ask someone more capable than me if the normal install program will do the same in Puppy .

I may just live with 2008 in Puppy until I find out if they are going to cut the beta testers a deal.

Colonel Panic

#44 Post by Colonel Panic »

Is this still active? I thought the free download ended on New Year's Eve.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Frank Cox

SoftMaker

#45 Post by Frank Cox »

Colonel Panic wrote:Is this still active? I thought the free download ended on New Year's Eve.
As for now some of those who downloaded a key were given an opportunity to beta test the 2010 version.

We hope the 2008 version goes GPL . If you have no key it is over for now.

Never know though, you could write them an e-mail and ask if they would make an exception, all they can do is say no.

The 2008 pet I downloaded was 59 mg , it still had all the locals, when I build my new puppy I will cut it down as well.
Last edited by Frank Cox on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#46 Post by Colonel Panic »

Frank Cox wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Is this still active? I thought the free download ended on New Year's Eve.
As for now some of those who downloaded a key were given an opportunity to beta test the 2010 version.

We hope the 2008 version goes GPL . If you have no key it is over for know.

Never know though, you could write them an e-mail and ask if they would make an exception, all they can do is say no.

The 2008 pet I downloaded was 59 mg , it still had all the locals, when I build my new puppy I will cut it down as well.
Yeah, I need something better than Abiword for opening Word documents with as it crashed and burned with an application form recently.

My guess is that Softmaker would say no if I asked, they presumably rely on the income from their suite to stay in business.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Frank Cox

SoftMaker

#47 Post by Frank Cox »

Yeah, I need something better than Abiword for opening Word documents with as it crashed and burned with an application form recently.

My guess is that Softmaker would say no if I asked, they presumably rely on the income from their suite to stay in business.
Again, all they can say is yes or no. They rely on windows users for their income, Linux is a tiny fraction of the market so I would try if I was you.

They might let you try it for a month and then offer you a very low price, the only reason they gave it away at all was for advertising their 2010 version. If they give you a 2008 version there is a chance you will buy the 2010 and if not what have they lost?

You would be amazed at the things I have gotten , not just software , from lots of companies just by asking.

The other alternative is open office. If you have enough ram it will run fine and if you get the sfs file for it you don't have to boot it every time.

[/quote]

Colonel Panic

#48 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, I'll consider it. I've got Open Office 3.1 but it's quite big and unwieldy so a smaller suite which opens Word documents properly would be a great asset to have.

Tui

Taken for a test drive!

#49 Post by Tui »

Yes I took this Softmaker package for a test using a layout
that I have used in the MS 2003 office package which included a
a jpeg pix I had no problem in it's use and on finishing I saved it in
the dot.doc format and sent it off too an MS Windows machine that I use for client support which has the MS Office suite.

On reading this doc file, the text came out as a different font and
all out of alignment. - So I have to conclude that it's not a prog
that one could use in the everyday business via electronic exchange
of information.

I would like to see if the prog Open Office gave the same or similar
results.

As for using the spreadsheet prog and saving as a dot xl would it have same result ?

Your comments please

Thank you Tui

Frank Cox

Font Problem

#50 Post by Frank Cox »

Hi Tui:

So far I have not had a problem with that . There are several possibilities. It may be that when the pet file was created that particular font was eliminated and it is also possible you did not save it in the proper format. It may be it needs to be added.

The program will save in word 97-2000,2003 , 6/95.and 2007 formats..
Did you try all of them?

I had trouble with the pet, one of them I downloaded was almost 60 mgs, the other only 4 so I downloaded the tarball tgz and cut it down to 34 mb.
So far no worries. I would try saving it in the different formats and if that does not work download the tarball. Open it with pupzip and be sure to to work off a copy . Delete all the language files you know you will not use and if you are absolutely sure the fonts as well.
When you are through deleting close the file and be absolutely sure you tell it to update itself, it will ask you.
I left Spanish and English and 95% of the fonts and ended up with 34 megs.

To install extract both files to a temporary folder and click on the tarball, the file that says install just leave alone. It will tell you the file installed and it is listed in Utility in the Menu bar at the lower left of the desktop. You won't find it there but you will find near the bottom of the list a button that says-Gexec-execute a command. Type in Textmaker and it will bring up the screen for your name,e-mail , and install key.
Once you give it that information it will automatically ad a button to menu/document for Textmaker , graphics,SoftMaker Presentations and
business ,PlanMaker.

The icons for the desktop are in share/icons I think. I used a pic from one of their ads and replaced Abiword as default write.

If the file is not confidential post it on the softmaker forum or here and maybe someone can find a work around.

Hope this helps.

Frank Cox

Printing-Docx

#51 Post by Frank Cox »

Hi Everyone

As I was reading through this thread again i did not see the answer for the printing problem or the Docx files.

To print in Textmaker you have to make it the default cups printer.It works fine after that. I have yet to try to print from Planmaker or the Softmaker Presentations program so I don;t know if you have to stop and reset the default cups printer or not, I suspect you do which would be a pain. When I get a chance I fill find out. It is not that big of a deal if it is only occasionally . Of course I have the program on all my windows machines so if I have to I can print from there.

As far as Docx all you have to do is download the free Softmaker docx to doc converter , it works fine.

So far the only things I have trouble with are minor like the fact you cannot print fonts as outlines which I do to make signs occasionally but I can do that from OO or Word .

One of these days I will buy the 2010 version but for now if you gave me either Word,OO, or SM to use I would take the SM, even the 2008 version in a second, it is super fast, does almost everything I ask it to and no Bill "Are You Really ,Really ,Really Sure?" included! Second I would have to take Word over OO .
One of these days the OO people might realize how good SM is and try to make that program more like it. At 50.00 for 3 licenses I would buy SM if I had to choose between either of the others , even if Word was free as well. Kind of surprised SM does not make a Mac version but I guess you could run it under Wine there.

theinfamousj

Bug Help?

#52 Post by theinfamousj »

I know that the dotpet has been removed from this site, but I downloaded it before it had gone.

I've been using Softmaker's Textmaker 2008 as a wonderful replacement for Abiword (as it gives me more control over the location of embedded graphics, a must as a teacher).

However, I have one little problem. Every time I start up Textmaker (I haven't used the other components), I get this [see pic] window. I always click "okay" and then it lets me use it as normal.

I don't know much about configuration files, nor where to find them, but would be willing to do whatever is necessary to remove the popup. Now that we are into 2010, that popup is getting annoying.

-J-
Attachments
TextMaker_Bug.png
(29.37 KiB) Downloaded 1367 times

Frank Cox

2002 for Linux

#53 Post by Frank Cox »

Has anyone tried the 2002 Linux version available here?

The 2006 has a platinum rating under wine but if the programs are not much different? Personally I don't care as I got licenses for 2008 during Christmas last year and am getting set up to be a reseller for them so i will have 2010 as well but I would like to know this for people who can't afford to purchase a new version.

Puppy users should recommend this software and asks those that buy it to tell them a PL user recommended it. Puppy users who have a computer shop, school. system admins etc. should get set up as a reseller. If we make them a lot of money they just might give us 2008 to use to replace Abi-Word.

Frank Cox

2008 is Available Free again!

#54 Post by Frank Cox »

You can download 2008 for Linux and Windows for free again!

http://www.softmaker.de/lh-down-en.htm

Maybe its time to get permission to add it to puppy!

Colonel Panic

#55 Post by Colonel Panic »

Great news! Thanks for posting it.

Cheers,

CP .

Frank Cox

Your Welcome

#56 Post by Frank Cox »

Welcome, enjoy.

Funny but I found the link right after-within hours, of ordering 2010.
Not that it would have mattered

Frank Cox

Free Fonts end Christmas! Dec 31

#57 Post by Frank Cox »

I had not looked at their site, apparently this is just like last year ,temporary-be sure to get the fonts!

I find the tarball superior to any other method as it allows you to cut the file almost in half . Just open the tarball in root and paste the installs office file in terminal or run a program and be sure to run fixmenus .

Christmas is coming early this year!

You can now download SoftMaker Office 2008 and a font package free of charge – and do good at the same time: Until December 31, SoftMaker donates 10 Euro cents for every download, supporting aid and development projects around the world.

Tell your friends and colleagues about our Load and Help 2010 campaign. Our goal is to surpass last year's donations of € 6089!

Visit the Load and Help campaign

http://www.softmaker.com/english/index_en.htm

Colonel Panic

#58 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've now downloaded and installed Softmaker, so thanks! As for the fonts, the ones which are actually used for writing / printing look fine but the ones used in the menus look a bit "blocky."

Frank Cox

Fonts

#59 Post by Frank Cox »

Colonel Panic wrote:I've now downloaded and installed Softmaker, so thanks! As for the fonts, the ones which are actually used for writing / printing look fine but the ones used in the menus look a bit "blocky."
Seems last year someone had found a fix for that. Since it printed fine i have not worried about it. My bug is that 2010 is not allowing me to access my other drives to save to so I have to save a file and then move it.

The SoftMaker forums should be able to help with both issues, when I find th4 fix I will post it.

Colonel Panic

#60 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for replying Frank. It's only a minor issue but I'd appreciate that fix if it's not too difficult.

Cheers,

CP .