After Puppy boots, mouse and keyboard don't work

Booting, installing, newbie
Kuzy988

After Puppy boots, mouse and keyboard don't work

#1 Post by Kuzy988 »

Im new to anything that isnt windows (wanted to try an alternitive). Basically im trying to create a bootable usb flash drive with antivirus, and anti-spyware software so that i can run it as a computer repair utility. I managed to get the iso onto the cd and the program started without a hitch. I selected my keyboard as us-qwerty (my actual keyboard is a g15) and my mouse as a usb mouse (its actually a g5) but once the os starts, i can see the gui but cannot move the mouse or use the keyboard. Any suggestions?

MU

#2 Post by MU »

When you were asked to set up video, did you use X.org or Xvesa?

You might try the one you did not choose before.

So how to start the wizard again?
Normally, Puppy should recognize when it did not shutdown correct, giving you a prompt to type in "xorgwizard".

If that does not happen, thereare 2ways.
1. Delete the file "pup001" in windows.
Then Puppy starts completely new from scratch.

2. Or when Puppy boots, it will run a filesystemcheck, showing a "Textmode-percentage-bar", when it was not shutdown correctly (e.g. when you just could switch of power).

When the check runs, hit CTRL-C several times, until you get a black screen with a blinking cursor (the prompt).
There, type "xorgwizard" to set up the video again.

Both videosettings (Xorg/Xvesa) treat mouse/keyboard different, so the "second one" might solve your problem.
Mark

Kuzy988

#3 Post by Kuzy988 »

Actually i tried to get to either, but my mouse is not enabled so i cannot click the next button on the dialog in Xorg. Also when Xvesa loaded up i could not move the mouse or type at all. They keybpard works fine when it asks to select the type of boot, but it seems to stop working once it reads its extra usb hubs.

#4 Post by Guest »

Bump