Quirky 005 Feedback

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tronkel

Quirky 005 Feedback

#1 Post by tronkel »

Luxury - it recognised the ATI Radeon 3450 video card out of the box with normal 2D acceleration.

PupTelly works with MPlayer but it's supposed to go fullscreen when you press F. A full screen frame does appear if you press F, but the view content itself does not expand to full screen.

Have only just started to play with it so I'll report back after I eat.

Will also have a go with both the Classmate PC and the Asus eeepc 901

Looking great though.
Last edited by tronkel on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Had to change to the internal sound card using the ALSA sound wizard (I also have a PCI sound card that I am not connected to)

Clicked on BBC news that plays OK in browser
ASF - no
mp4 - no full screen, no sound, small pics looks good
wmv - small image, no sound, no full screen
vob - small image, no sound no full screen

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Terryphi

#3 Post by Terryphi »

An impressive multi-media Quirky! Pizzasgood's Retrovol tray volume control and sound mixer is superb. On the limited tests I've done so far things look pretty good. There are a few snags though:

(1) Realmedia .ram files cause browser crash in Seamonkey and Firefox. In Opera player immediately crashes out but Opera survives. This is not too much of a problem as this format is used infrequently now.

(2) I can play streaming QuickTime video in Seamonkey and Firefox but not Opera. Try http://www.apple.com/trailers/ .

tronkel

#4 Post by tronkel »

Mplayer works for me when started via Puptelly, but standalone MPlayer will not start from menu item. It simply shows 2 blank application windows, freezes X completely and therefore requiring X to be restarted.

This problem only started to appear after Puppy was installed as frugal with pupsave and running as live CD.

In the dim and distant past, I seem to remember that in order to start MPlayer you had to start it via a terminal command with some sort of command-line parameter. Memory fails me here. Does anyone else remember this?

tronkel

#5 Post by tronkel »

Just noticed MPlayer starts OK from the desktop "play" icon.

No startup parameters seem to be needed at all - but even if the JWM .jwmrc file is edited to point directly to /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer the same crash occurs.

Will play with it some more and see what gives.

tronkel

#6 Post by tronkel »

OK here's a temporary work-around for MPlayer that won't start from the JWM menu.

Open /root/.jwmrc and replace the MPlayer XML executable entry with:
<Program label="MPlayer media player" icon="mplayer.xpm">urxvt -e mplayershell</Program>

Then restart JWM and you're good to go

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Does this mean that q5 is better than both q3 and q4?

Pardon if I am very naive asking such question.

I have tested Q3 and that one worked rather well.
so if Q5 is better then that is very interesting.

are Q5 better than Puppeee 4.3.1? I have that one in frugal install on my vista Compaq and are very satisfied with it. Very fast responses and play youtube without crashing and video streams from out local TV stations. What I longed for 2008 when I started with Puppy as the one I want to use.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

panzerpuppy

#8 Post by panzerpuppy »

Is there a MESA (OpenGL) .PET package for Quirky-005?
I can't continue testing Quirky without this package.
Turbopup Tech Support

panzerpuppy

#9 Post by panzerpuppy »

Here are some bugs I found in this new build of Quirky:

- alsamixer crashes to commandline if you press F1 (for help) or F2 (for system info)
These options are very important for viewing the capabilities and outputs of your sound card and seeing the shortcuts and modifiers you can use in AlsaMixer.
This worked before in Quirky 002 / 003 but not anymore in 004 / 005.

- pmount quickly closes the optical drive tray after ejecting a CD / DVD. This is annoying and *DANGEROUS*.
There's no such problem when ejecting the CD via ROX-Filer.
This is a long-standing bug of Puppy and must be fixed ASAP.
Turbopup Tech Support

Artie

#10 Post by Artie »

Network Wizard forgets settings between boots so I have to do eth0 and AutoDHCP after every boot. Boots from cd with files on HD.

Artie

tronkel

#11 Post by tronkel »

nooby wrote:
Does this mean that q5 is better than both q3 and q4?
If only computing life was that simple.

Any operating system evolves over time and in theory should therefore improve in an incremental fashion.

Different hardware combinations behave differently with different OS's, so this muddies the water as far as trying to assign a capability index to successive versions of operating systems.

I can only speak from my own experience with my own hardware. The current stable version of Puppy 4.3.1 has been extremely satisfactory across all the hardware that I have tried it on. The Quirky series (compiled under T2) is if anything even faster and more stable. This latest Quirky 5 is indeed looking very interesting due to the upgraded multimedia software. There are some minor issues perhaps, but they're not show-stoppers.

Puppy as a project is in the best state it has ever been in since it was started. back in 2003. On my hardware here, even the latest experimental Quirkys are doing better than the latest supposedly stable Ubuntu (the No 1 distro in Distrowatch).

Puppians have never had such a good choice of versions. Just use the latest one that works for you.

panzerpuppy

#12 Post by panzerpuppy »

- mplayer lacks the much needed gl2 output. Users with ATI cards (using the proprietary ATI driver) will suffer from washed out colors and tearing if they use Xv. The gl2 output works perfectly for them.

- mplayer doesn't have repeat / loop playback.

- Is there any way to prevent Ogle from taking over the place of MPlayer as the defaultmediaplayer when a normal DATA DVD disc is inserted in /mnt/sr0 ?

If I have a DVD with HD (.mp4/.mkv) movie clips and click on the 'PLAY' icon on the desktop, Quirky should start MPlayer, not Ogle.
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

tronkel,
Would you mind changing the title of this thread to "Quirky 005 feedback" or "Quirky 0.0.5 feedback". We are not at version 5 just yet!

Re running mplayer from the menu. Yes, when I was setting that up there was something nagging at my memory about that. I'm not sure, I think that someone posted that an entry in .jwmrc like this works:

exec mplayershell &

...anyway, I'll sort that out.

Lobster,
every video file that I have tested plays properly, including sound. Can you please post URLs of those for which you are not getting sound?

All of these play ok for me:

http://puppylinux.com/test/media-test-video/
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

panzerpuppy

#14 Post by panzerpuppy »

- All HD videos I've tested so far work in Quirky005 / MPlayer:

* 720p WMV3 - working
* 720p,1080p H.264 / AVC (L4.0, L4.1, L5.0) - working
* 720p, 1080p VC-1 - working
Turbopup Tech Support

BarryK
Puppy Master

#15 Post by BarryK »

Ok, I have fixed the problem of running Mplayer from the menu. As reported, just got two black windows and Xorg hung. That's a very old problem, some kind of conflict with JWM.

No need to change anything in /root/.jwmrc.

Grab this 'mplayershell' script and place at /usr/bin. Make sure it is set as executable.
Attachments
mplayershell.gz
(638 Bytes) Downloaded 550 times

01micko

#16 Post by 01micko »

Hi

I had no probs with mplayer in pupRadio/Telly.

BTW Barry, it's up to version 0.5 now. (pupRadio)

This is a nice quirky and I'm on the old r31 thinkpad, 1066 celeron, 512 ram, intel 8M graphics, no swap. Very fast.

3G Virgin modem connected easy, but needed '-chap' option in /etc/ppp/options. This machine has an onboard modem too.

Sound fine, ootb, flash fine too. Did have mplayer menu problem reported by tronkel.

Thanks.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

panzerpuppy wrote:- mplayer lacks the much needed gl2 output. Users with ATI cards (using the proprietary ATI driver) will suffer from washed out colors and tearing if they use Xv. The gl2 output works perfectly for them.

- mplayer doesn't have repeat / loop playback.

- Is there any way to prevent Ogle from taking over the place of MPlayer as the defaultmediaplayer when a normal DATA DVD disc is inserted in /mnt/sr0 ?

If I have a DVD with HD (.mp4/.mkv) movie clips and click on the 'PLAY' icon on the desktop, Quirky should start MPlayer, not Ogle.
have you tested that mplayer does actually play the DVD?

I configured mplayer (prior to compiling) without DVD support, so I'm not sure it will play DVDs at all. If you report that it won't, then I will have to re-examine the configure and try another compile.

What does Ogle do in this situation?

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Barry,

That fixed mplayer menu entry perfectly.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

panzerpuppy wrote:Is there a MESA (OpenGL) .PET package for Quirky-005?
I can't continue testing Quirky without this package.
There is a T2 .tar.bz2 package, but it isn't cutdown at all -- has all the docs for example.

You need to go into the Configure in the Puppy package Manager and choose the 't2-8.0rc-official' repository. Then choose it by clicking the appropriate tab at top of window, then do a search for "mesa".

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote:Had to change to the internal sound card using the ALSA sound wizard (I also have a PCI sound card that I am not connected to)

Clicked on BBC news that plays OK in browser
ASF - no
mp4 - no full screen, no sound, small pics looks good
wmv - small image, no sound, no full screen
vob - small image, no sound no full screen

:)
The inability to do full-screen is one of the limitations of the Xorg 'vesa' driver. This applies to both mplayer and ogle.

As you have Nvidia hardware, you need to use the 'nv' driver to be able to get full-screen.

Quirky 005 also has the 'nouveau' driver, that you should test. It didn't work for me. I do hope to have more success with the nouveau driver when I upgrade to the 2.6.33 kernel.

... note the Xorg Wizard now allows you to select vesa, nv or nouveau for testing.