Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 04:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Backup processes
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
mbridges1

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jan 2010, 19:33    Post subject:  Backup processes
Subject description: Connectivity to Windows systems for backup storage via Carbonite

I am running Lighthouse Puppy 443 on a Dell Inspiron B120 laptop. I have Windows Vista on a Dell Dimension Desktop. I use Carbonite to backup the Vista system. Carbonite only supports Windows and Mac OS.

I have created a shell script, initiated via cron, to copy changed data files from my Puppy system to the Windows system, which then backs up the files to Carbonite. The shell script was easy to set up and refine. It keeps track of whether the Windows system is accessible and if not increments the correct parameter in find accordingly the next time it runs. I named my Windows system DELLDESKTOP, created a user Puppy with password Linux on it, and then created a share named Backups. The script checks to make see if the share is mounted and if not mounts it. The script is stored in /root/my-applications and is freely available if desired.

It would be nice to be able to directly connect to a web server (i.e. Carbonite) from my Puppy system and copy files to the web server. I am looking for information to help me connect to a web server via the shell to copy (FTP?, SSH?) files to the web server. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger 
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: