Activate Facebook Chat on Seamonkey 1.1.xx (std in puppy)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
trio

Activate Facebook Chat on Seamonkey 1.1.xx (std in puppy)

#1 Post by trio »

Type in the address box "about:config" (w/o the quotes) and press enter
On the page right-click and choose New -> String.
Named it "general.useragent.extra.xfake" (w/o the quotes)
and give it a value of "not Firefox/2.0.0.18" (w/o the quotes)

Note: I think Java has to be enabled
Attachments
facebookchat.jpg
(39.62 KiB) Downloaded 1969 times

ecomoney

#2 Post by ecomoney »

Trio, a great piece of investigation! This is one of the major problems I find with your average computer users who want it to "just work". Are you aware of any issues changing this string causes with other applications/websites? I will assign a "tester" to try this out.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

DMcCunney

#3 Post by DMcCunney »

ecomoney wrote:Trio, are you aware of any issues changing this string causes with other applications/websites?
Probably not. There are an assortment of extensions intended to alter the user agent string a Mozilla browser returns to a website query. One common change is to tell the site it's IE, to fool brain dead sites that think they will only work in IE.
______
Dennis
Last edited by DMcCunney on Sat 23 Jan 2010, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

DMcCunney

Re: Activate Facebook Chat on Seamonkey 1.1.xx (std in puppy)

#4 Post by DMcCunney »

trio wrote:Note: I think Java has to be enabled
I will be quite startled if this is true. I'm on Facebook, and have occasionally used Facebook chat. While Java is installed on my system and enabled in my browsers, Facebook never called it.

JavaScript does have to be enabled for Facebook to work at all.
______
Dennis

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

I will be quite startled if this is true. I'm on Facebook, and have occasionally used Facebook chat. While Java is installed on my system and enabled in my browsers, Facebook never called it.
there seems to be a bug (or feature) whereby flash does not work properly without java installed too so I guess there's a missing link or library involved.

mike

DMcCunney

#6 Post by DMcCunney »

mikeb wrote:

there seems to be a bug (or feature) whereby flash does not work properly without java installed too so I guess there's a missing link or library involved.
<blink>
I haven't seen that, but then, I routinely install Java, so I wouldn't. It's really weird if that's the case.
______
Dennis

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

I haven't seen that, but then, I routinely install Java, so I wouldn't. It's really weird if that's the case
yes weird indeed...one report was that firefox 3.5 would not run...I couldn't make sense of it

mike

ecomoney

#8 Post by ecomoney »

Java is needed on facebook, as far as I can tell, only for the advanced photo uploader (the alternative simple uploader works without java).
to fool brain dead sites that think they will only work in IE
You mean like hotmail? Theres an issue where the send button is greyed out if this site discoveres from the user agent string you are not using Windows. This is only the case for *some* hotmail accounts. Hotmail is only a free email site if using (and of course paying for) windows... :roll:

Facebook always seems to need a later version of the flashplayer installed to play videos, they tend to have later requirements than any other site.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Facebook always seems to need a later version of the flashplayer installed to play videos, they tend to have later requirements than any other site.
well adobe and microsoft do share the same bed. Did you know adobe reader cannot be installed and run in windows unless internet explorer is present for the license agreement. So both of them are trying to perpetuate the use of a known major security flaw....I guess its good business to have systems break on a regular basis.

Good new is there now the fileset for making XP install without IE (and other crud) as has been for 2000 ...deep joy.
Facebook is a fad and will pass in time just like the others....I try to focus on worthwhile uses of the internet.

mike

Pelo

Toutou linux on USB stick (how-to)

#10 Post by Pelo »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT9POkvBtkE
click here
ERROR !
French spoken ! only for french learning students !
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 20 Feb 2014, 08:57, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Pelo, that's in French. Are you sure you meant to put it in this thread?

Pelo

sooooorrryyy ! it was a mistake

#12 Post by Pelo »

However, about Linux Facebook, where everybody speak english ( speak french all day long, and you will be out) I would like to create a french groupe.
Pour parler français enfin.
:P dont't pay attention to my post.
Attachments
facebook.jpg
(70.92 KiB) Downloaded 325 times