CUPS won't communicate with network printer

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
rgershey

CUPS won't communicate with network printer

#1 Post by rgershey »

Using info from the CUPS printing thread in the Cutting Edge forum I finally have the ability to print from Puppy (Yay!). I was succesful in getting a Canon BJ20 to work on the parallel port. (with CUPS, ghostscript, a driver from LinuxPrinting.org and foomatic filters, whew!)

However, I have not been able to get a printer on the network to work with CUPS. I've installed a second printer in CUPS which is a shared HP Deskjet on a Windows machine (using the port lpr://192.168.0.148/HP610C). I can access this Windows machine with RemoteDesktop and mount its shared drives in Puppy with LinNeigbourhood Client (LinNieghbourhood also sees the HP printer at the above address when querying the machine).

When I attempt to print through CUPS it stalls and CUPS reports that it is "Attempting to connect to host...". Am I missing some step that allows CUPS to communicate with a network machine? As I said, CUPS works fine with a printer on the parallel port and Puppy is happy to communicate with the windows machine via Samba.