How to get wireless connection to run at boot up?

Booting, installing, newbie
Fisherman

How to get wireless connection to run at boot up?

#1 Post by Fisherman »

I have exactly 1 days experience of Puppy Linux 1.0.7 Mozilla having installed it yesterday using the win98puppy option. No problems with the install and a breath of fresh air from win98. I've also managed to get my wireless connection up and running using Belkin F5D7010 wireless PCI card and the Wi-Fi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup utility.

My question is how do I get the wireless connection up and running straight from boot up? Currently I have to run WAG, scan and select the profile I created.

From some of the other posts I've read this seems possible but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Any vary clear and easy to follow instructions or advice would be very welcome

thanks, Fisherman

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Rickrandom

#3 Post by Rickrandom »

This probably overlaps with what Trapster says, as he gave me the advice on this subject in the past.

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... highlight=

Let us know what works for you.

Fisherman

#4 Post by Fisherman »

Thanks for your help on this Rickrandom and Trapster, spent the last few days reading your links and whole load of other posts as well. Good news is I've got my wireless card to configure and connect over WEP secured network automatically at boot-up. No need to use wifi-beta-2-pup as found that the driver for the card (RT2500) already in ndiswrapper. So solution was to put following script in /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local:

modprobe ndiswrapper
sleep 5
iwconfig wlan0 essid <My SSID> key <My 128bit wep key> mode managed
sleep 5
dhcpcd wlan0 -n

Not sure I need the sleep 5 after the iwconfig line but works OK.

Would like to know what the -n does in the dhcpcd line (got this from another post)

Hope this is useful for anyone else running Belkin F5D7010 card.

This may have taken me a couple of days to sort out but it took a lot longer when I first set things up on a Win98 PC wit Belkin wireless USB adapter.

I think I'm going to enjoy playing around with Linux!

Fisherman :D

trapster

#5 Post by trapster »

#man dhcpcd

will give you the -option explanations
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

RobertB

#6 Post by RobertB »

For what it's worth: after reading the information in these threads, and comparing that with the process I ended up using to get things working on my laptop, I went for something simpler.

All I added to my /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local was this:

modprobe ndiswrapper
sleep 5
iwconfig

I put a shortcut (or whatever you call it in the Linux world) to WAG on the desktop. So it's not an automatic attempt to connect at bootup. But that wouldn't be appropriate for my laptop anyway, since it spends much of its time away from any live wireless network -- and there's no guarantee that the live network it finds is the pre-configured home net. I'd think that this is probably the best setup for a mobile Puppy, but I have very little experience and would love to be set straight.

Note that I spent a week typing the above commands (well, not the sleep command) at the DOS, errr... whatever that prompt is. I wanted to be sure I understood them a bit before putting them in the startup folder *slap* I mean rc.local file.