cant find wifi signal on Dell D610 laptop

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
riktw

cant find wifi signal on Dell D610 laptop

#1 Post by riktw »

hello

i am quite new to puppy linux, and i dont have much experience with linux in general, but i wanted to try puppy on my fairly old laptop.
installing worked, i got a nice dual boot, puppy installed on hard drive.
but my wireless internet doesnt work

the integrated intell 2200bg wireless card should be supported, and if i press connect, and then connect to internet by network or wireless lan i see 2 possible ways to connect:
eth0 and eth1
eth0 is a broadcom device, i guess its for the cable port on the back.
and eth1 is the intel wireless device.
but it cant find any wifi signals, but there are at least 5 in the area if i check with windows on thesame laptop.

i already installed the drivers for linux from the intel site but that didnt help.

thanks

rik

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

My laptop also uses the intel2200.
If you are using puppy 4.3.1 it has problems connecting with
this device.
I use the special puppy with the previous 2.6.25.16 kernel;
connects fine.
I also use other previous puppies which all connect okay.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

bill

A workaround ?

#3 Post by bill »

Hi,after reading your post,I wondered whether or not this tidbit of information might help.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 043#386043

Also this was done using 431 K 2.6.30.5 installed in a USB Thumb drive so if I made a mistake,no worries.Also I neglected to mention that to start
the "Connect" system,all networks eth0 ,eth1 etc need to be blacklisted using Ndiswrapper so as not to interfere with this unusual workaround.Lastly if you can gain access with ANY WIFI device,write down the I.P. to have handy if you need to install this I.P. statically if scanning doesn't do the trick.If this helps,please let the forum know.Good Luck

PS This also makes me wonder if a wrapper could be instigated that might help loading ANY XP.SYS >XP.INF file to enable other devices that might not be working ?

rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

Older Dell laptops use either a broadcom or intel mini pci card.
Haven't run across one yet that won't connect without having to
resort to ndiswrapper.
Another solution for getting them to scan and find wpa correctly
with the regular 4.3.1 is to use Jemimahs' "pwireless2 beta".
In riktws' case it wouldn't hurt to blacklist the broadcom ethernet
module, but I haven't found that necessary.

Full installs

bill

#5 Post by bill »

Fine business on that rj.Well I really don't know why,but on this desktop
Acer AST180-UA381B i just about drove jemimah insane in trying to use
Pwireless2-Beta as that proggie would in fact ,lock up my system tighter than Dicks hat band and I would literally have to power down manually in order to get free ? I still don't know what caused this but I really worked at this to no joy.I am not sure if it was a loose operator :? problem or whether it was a bios or setup problem.I am certain that the WPA terminate stay resident program is the culprit in this machine because Pwireless resident works fine in 431 K2.6.30.5 .Go figure ? In so far as using Ndiswrapper,I have heard grumbles about using it but proof is in the pudding as I am using it now on this post.Any port in a storm :wink:
Thanks for your post. cheers

rjbrewer

#6 Post by rjbrewer »

bill wrote:Fine business on that rj.Well I really don't know why,but on this desktop
Acer AST180-UA381B i just about drove jemimah insane in trying to use
Pwireless2-Beta as that proggie would in fact ,lock up my system tighter than Dicks hat band and I would literally have to power down manually in order to get free ? I still don't know what caused this but I really worked at this to no joy.I am not sure if it was a loose operator :? problem or whether it was a bios or setup problem.I am certain that the WPA terminate stay resident program is the culprit in this machine because Pwireless resident works fine in 431 K2.6.30.5 .Go figure ? In so far as using Ndiswrapper,I have heard grumbles about using it but proof is in the pudding as I am using it now on this post.Any port in a storm :wink:
Thanks for your post. cheers
"Dicks hat band lockup". :)

Never ran into that until just now when I tried to connect using a
Belkin usb dongle zd1211rw, on Ttuuxxs'2.1.4 rc3 puppy upgrade.
What a coincidence.

Full installs