Antique Compaq 5BW160 no sound

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
vgis55

Antique Compaq 5BW160 no sound

#1 Post by vgis55 »

In XP or Puppy. Alsa says it has started the sound driver, but it's silent.
Under Xp Intel 82810E shared Irq with Ess Allegro. Don't know about with Puppy. I have Puppy on a seperate 80 gig hard drive. Xp is on a 40 gig drive.

goodstomach

#2 Post by goodstomach »

I have the same problem, also compaq with ess sound card. But maybe someone can help us both out with this info: until recently this pc was running Debian. At first sound didn't work. This helped:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=464191

Under DEBIAN - I had to make a firmware "blob" put it in /lib/firmware/ess, run rmmod and modprobe, and that made sound work. I don't know how to translate that procedure to puppy, can anyone help?

Patriot

#3 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Please go to my alsa-1.0.22 driver update thread and get the alsa-firmware-1.0.20 pet (listed as #10) ... After installing it, you will need to reboot your system ...

Kindly let me know how it goes ....

Rgds

vgis55

#4 Post by vgis55 »

I tried your suggestions, when shutting down snd driver i get, "no sound card found" or "no such device." It's onboard ess allegro audio chip.

goodstomach

#5 Post by goodstomach »

I also had no luck, but thank you for putting together the package. If you are inclined to troubleshoot I appreciate it but if not, I understand, and this PC may not be long for the world anyway.

Using puppy 4.1.2;

First, not having read your clear directions, I installed teh first pet on the page, that succeeded but did say that a python library for pymixer (I think) was missing. Rebooted, of course as expected no change. Installed the 10th pet. It installed with no issue. Rebooted. Now, when it came up, there was a little red x next to speaker; I dragged up volume and the x went away. Then I clicked on an .ogg file, xgine started (and slider indicated it was playing) but no sound came out (same behaviour as before installing pet). Ran alsa mixer & turned up the volume on all the output options, still nothing. I do think the available controls in alsamixer were different but I didn't keep good notes.

Is there any particular file I should be looking for as an indicator (e.g., should there be a firmware directory under /etc/firmware or anything like that? Anything to look for in dmesg?

Thanks again for making the package, I'm sure it'll help someone.

Patriot

#6 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

My earlier comments were based on the assumption that you know what you're doing ... If you're not, then you are advised to include additional infos such as puppy version plus kernel version (and also in this case, alsa version) the next time you're asking for assistance ...

1. Check the kernel version in use, in a terminal:

# uname -a

You should see the kernel version your puppy is using (ex: 2.6.21.7, etc, etc) . This is very important when installing drivers. Installing drivers for the wrong kernel version will just bork things up ... If you're upgrading alsa drivers, ensure that you're applying for the correct kernel version. (For puppy412, there are two kernel versions, 2.6.21.7 and 2.6.25.16)

2. Check the alsa version in use, in a terminal:

# alsactl -v (or just run alsamixer)

I was assuming that you're using alsa-1.0.20 which came with the recent puppy431 kernel 2.6.30.5 ... I wouldn't know what version of alsa you're using unless you tell me ...

The python library dependency can be safely ignored. It is only required by python programs that requires mixer support and when that happens, almost always they would have to install the full python library ... Alsa drivers does not need python to work, if you're still wondering ...

3. For first time alsa driver setup, the mixers are muted to avoid loud clicking (through your speakers) when the drivers are being loaded. It sometimes (more like quite often) goes unnoticed ... To check for muted mixer, run alsamixer and verify that the required volume control has the symbol [00] underneath. A symbol of [MM] denotes a muted mixer. Hint: press M to toggle mute/unmute ...

To make quick tests for audio output, use this:

# aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.au

4. Firmware loading for devices are done automatically when the drivers are loaded. You may want to look at your kernel logs to see if they're are properly loaded. The log is at /var/log/messages or use dmesg to view in a terminal ...

Finally, I'd be happy to assist if you need more help ..... however, I do not own an ess maestro3 card ... the ess maestro2 I have for testing does not require any firmware loaded ...

Rgds