Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#901 Post by jemimah »

Nooby, I presume you put the eee-431.sfs into the /puppy431 directory. Does the same file work from a usb stick?

You could try it without the psubdir parameter.

What filesystem are you using?

jemimah

#902 Post by jemimah »

Picatrix, thanks for letting me know of this problem. I made Pwireless2 be more specific in the later versions due to some combinations of encryption not working, but I looks like I may have overdone it. I'll try scaling it back a little for the next version and see if anyone complains. Please let me know if the problem is fixed when I release the next version.

picatrix

#903 Post by picatrix »

Jemimah, I will surely test the next version, with a fresh eeesave file, and I'll let you know, thanks again|

BJF

Vattery icon

#904 Post by BJF »

(Sniff) My little tray battery icon with the 6.2 pet installed doesn't have lightning on it during charge. (701)

But Jemimah, I still can't figure out where you find the time to "have puppeees" and work as well. Unless there is an overlap there somewhere... Thank you again for all your hard work for the rest of us to play with.

jemimah

#905 Post by jemimah »

Hmmm, I'll take a look on my 701 when I get home... from my very uneventful job.

jemimah

#906 Post by jemimah »

Just tried the pet on my 701 and the lightning worked. Did you restart X after installing?

nooby

#907 Post by nooby »

jemimah wrote:Nooby, I presume you put the eee-431.sfs into the /puppy431 directory. Does the same file work from a usb stick?

You could try it without the psubdir parameter.

What filesystem are you using?
I give it a try within some hour and tell the result.

What file system? I guess it is ntfs because it is a frugal install.

ok I try without the psub first. Edit that did not work and I took home all the files again and those did not work either.

But making memory stick with those files did work.

I am writing from it now. It says it has chrome in it.
Wired worked out of the box but wireless failed both the internal and the Belkin dongle that I also tested. That one did work last time som month ago.

Back to original text.

Here is how it is just now.
title pup431jp

find --set-root /pup431jp/vmlinuz

kernel /pup431jp/vmlinuz psubdir=pup431jp

initrd /pup431jp/initrd.gz

boot

title macpup

find --set-root /macpup/vmlinuz

kernel /macpup/vmlinuz psubdir=macpup

initrd /macpup/initrd.gz

boot

title puppy431 (Puppeee431)

find --set-root /puppy431/vmlinuz

kernel /puppy431/vmlinuz psubdir=puppy431

initrd /puppy431/initrd.gz

boot
comment from nooby

you have a good description on your thread

where do you say how to add your files on a ntfs to a already frugal installation of other Puppies? I will try to add both PupItUp and others to get music synth built in. Lmms and such.

To get the sound of internal speaker I had to use the Retrovol. alsa did not help.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Nevermore

#908 Post by Nevermore »

jemimah wrote:Can you try from the command line:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun

and let me know if you get an error message.

# /usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun
#

no errors
--
/sbin/Nevermore

Nevermore

#909 Post by Nevermore »

jemimah wrote:Can you try from the command line:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun

and let me know if you get an error message.

# /usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun
#

no errors
--
/sbin/Nevermore

Nevermore

#910 Post by Nevermore »

jemimah wrote:Just tried the pet on my 701 and the lightning worked. Did you restart X after installing?
will u put this working battery tray icon in the new release of pupeee
--
/sbin/Nevermore

HairyWill

Re: browser change

#911 Post by HairyWill »

prehistoric wrote:Please bear with me, right now I'm fighting an urge to buy an obsolete server and build it into a steampunk computer installation involving a faux antique secretary and a Wacom tablet with a quill pen. Must be time for medication.
do it and post some photos
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

dougeeebear

#912 Post by dougeeebear »

I just installed PCMan file manager on my 1000H, and I had to run fixmenus to get rid of a menu catagory and item the installation created.
After I restarted X, the wireless connection wouldn't acquire the address again.
It went through all the ra0 down/resetting DHCP messages, but never acquired.
I had to open Pwireless2 and hit the Reset DHCP button on the DHCP tab.

My 900 resumed connection all by itself after restarting X.

It's probably not too big a deal, but I thought it was worth a mention.

jemimah

#913 Post by jemimah »

Nooby, I will test on NTFS. Puppeee has an updated initrd from Quirky; it fixed support for ext4 but I guess it's possible the NTFS support got broken in the process.

Nevermore, please delete /root/.xlockrc and try again. You'll need to have Rox show hidden files to see it so it can be deleted. If it still doesn't work after that, edit /usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun and add the line 'set -x' to the top. Then run it from the command line and post the result.

Dougeeebear, the next version of Pwireless2 is going be be a lot smarter about this. I think I've got it good enough that 'nolink' mode can be the default.

Beta 3.5 will have the fixed tray applets, the new Pwireless2, hopefully fixes for Chrome font issues, and whatever else I can think of this weekend.
--
Does anyone here have a 1001HA? Apparently it has a rt3090 network card that may or may not work with the rt2860 driver. Anyone have it working?

nooby

#914 Post by nooby »

jemimah
yes that could be why. It looks for an ext version maybe.

I tested the unlocked one and that did not help.

Could I use some other initread then?
Last edited by nooby on Wed 27 Jan 2010, 15:39, edited 2 times in total.

Coolsun9

#915 Post by Coolsun9 »

Hi jemimah,

Thanks for your advise earlier.

I made a clean install for beta 3.4 but experienced two issues on my eeePC 701.

The Google Chrome does not work smoothly. Trouble resizng and moving the window around the desktop. It keeps sticking to the top left hand corner. Also, the images on the top part disappear.

Most importantly, it does not auto detect my Huawei E1550 3G modem. I have uncommented on the .conf and rule.d files for E1550.

p.s. internal wi-fi works well otherwise the desktop looks good.

jemimah

#916 Post by jemimah »

Nooby, let me test it first; then I'll let you know what to try.

Coolsun9, I turned off the Jwm borders in Chrome to give you more space. If it's working poorly. Go to Options->Personal Stuff and select 'Use system title bar and borders'. Then restart Chrome and it should work as normal.

Neurino mentioned that he had to manually run 'modprobe option' to load driver to get his Huawei modem to work. You can use the Bootmanager to put "option" on the "add list" so it loads automatically on boot. Give it a try and see if there's an improvement.

jemimah

#917 Post by jemimah »

Nooby, I tested the initrd and it didn't have a problem seeing ntfs when I tried it. Can you make it 'kernel /puppy431/vmlinuz psubdir=puppy431 pdev1=sda1'? I'm assuming your Windows partition is sda1 here, if it's something else, be sure to use the correct value.

jemimah

#918 Post by jemimah »

The debian wiki has been updated with recent Eee models. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Models. Models supported by Puppeee are pretty much the same as Debian at this point.

prehistoric

Re: steampunk computing

#919 Post by prehistoric »

HairyWill wrote:
prehistoric wrote:Please bear with me, right now I'm fighting an urge to buy an obsolete server and build it into a steampunk computer installation involving a faux antique secretary and a Wacom tablet with a quill pen. Must be time for medication.
do it and post some photos
Follow up in this topic.

nooby

#920 Post by nooby »

jemimah wrote:Nooby, I tested the initrd and it didn't have a problem seeing ntfs when I tried it. Can you make it 'kernel /puppy431/vmlinuz psubdir=puppy431 pdev1=sda1'? I'm assuming your Windows partition is sda1 here, if it's something else, be sure to use the correct value.
I tested this but it failed.

The error says.
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk ... eee-431.sfs not found

dropping out ... /bin/sh: Cant access tty Job control turned off

suppose it is like you suggested.

That some script expect that a file is an ext3 file? How can I do anything about it? Okay I have to wait until you load it up on the site then.

But why did nobody else notice this to be a problem? I mean I am a total nobody so the experts should have barked loud at it?

Am I the only person trying to do frugal on a ntfs partition then?

anyway. I maybe have to log out soon it is rather late here.