Browserlinux EeePC Edition

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gerry

#21 Post by gerry »

Sorry, I'm an imposter- it's an Acer Aspire One.

I've found the problem with dpup- it's me. If one doesn't click on one of the coding keys, (WEP, WPA2, etc) then PWireless2 goes through the motions, and reports that it has failed. Maybe it needs a message saying "Oi! You didn't choose a coding system!!"

gerry

jemimah

#22 Post by jemimah »

I'm a bit confused, since it shouldn't ask you for a coding system. (I'm the developer of Pwireless2, so this is the place to complain :) ).

Can you post a screenshot so I can understand the problem you had? I haven't downloaded dpup lately, maybe I'll check out what they've done with networking in the new version.

gerry

#23 Post by gerry »

@Jemima- It's the gui where you select a profile to load, and below that is the section for editing a profile. In the edit section are four buttons to select WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc. If I don't select one of those when setting up the first profile, then when I click "Use this profile" PWireless2 appears to go through its attempt to connect via wlan0, but then says it couldn't. It doesn't say why.

gerry

jemimah

#24 Post by jemimah »

That is not Pwireless2, it's the old network wizard. That's probably the source of confusion. I wonder if dpup has both or maybe they took Pwireless2 out from the latest version. I'll have to take a look later.

omskates

#25 Post by omskates »

magerlab wrote:unfortunatelly ....
i think that browserlinux itself misses some important things....
package manager do not download pets or there's no mp3lame lib....
so i can not use it( only my case)

so i contunue experiments with boxpupeee
Yes, Browserlinux is meant as a dedicated Browsing desktop & trimmed down as such. Brilliant I think but in your case fortuneately there are many good alternatives. :)

cAPSLOCK

#26 Post by cAPSLOCK »

Love this. It has finally replaced P on my 701. I prefer Linux but nothing booted as fast or was as compatible with the hardware as a stripped down XP. This one is both faster to boot and better running overall. With the one caveat that flash is still smoother in XP.

So thanks... I am glad to be home.

One question though. I like your little eee control panel in your other eeespecific remasters. It is not here in eeebrowser? Also (and related) I can find no way to make my brightness settings stick. I like the screen to be pretty dim and each boot it is up at glaring brightness again!

Is there a command line tool that will work?

jemimah

#27 Post by jemimah »

I really should release a new version to reflect the latest developments. I'll try to do that once I get puppeee beta 3.5 released.

vk3cbo

Provision of an ISO

#28 Post by vk3cbo »

Hi Jemimah,
I would once more request that you make an ISO of the Puppies that you have modified for the EEEPC, when they have reached 'release' status.
This would allow those of us with slow download speeds to purchase these EEEPC Puppies from the net.

cheers,
Rod

jemimah

#29 Post by jemimah »

Version 2 has been posted. See the first post for details.

(I do plan on making an iso - I'm hoping to be ready for a stable release within the next month or two).

cAPSLOCK

#30 Post by cAPSLOCK »

Continues to be an excellent superlightweight OS for the Eeepc.

jemimah

#31 Post by jemimah »

I've posted 2.1. Just some minor updates.

WindowsXP

#32 Post by WindowsXP »

Hi,

it 's possible to have your O.S in an zip on megaupload , or an Iso ?

What 's new with 2.1 ?

Thanks.

richard.a

#33 Post by richard.a »

jemimah wrote:I've posted 2.1. Just some minor updates.
hello jemimah :)

just found this thread... but can't find your download page, it shows an error 404.

Would love to try it on my Acer AspireOne.

Take care

Richard
in Adelaide
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

jemimah

#34 Post by jemimah »

I don't really have time to work on this one any more, but the files are still kicking around. There's no installer or ISO. You'll unfortunately need to assemble a frugal install yourself.

http://puppeee.com/files/2.6.31.5/
http://puppeee.com/files/BrowserLinux%20Eee%20Edition/