Quirky 006 feedback

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

Quirky 006 feedback

#1 Post by BarryK »

Release announcement:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01365

This forum thread is for tester feedback...
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

James C

#2 Post by James C »

Just did a fresh frugal install of Quirky 006 on my old P3 test computer and installed Firefox 3.6.

YouTube videos play perfectly in Firefox and I've tried mp4 and wmv files in Gnome-Mplayer and they play fine as well.

Terryphi

Movie trailers at lovefilm.com

#3 Post by Terryphi »

I can confirm that the .ram file problem is now fixed.

However, I have a new problem. Movie trailers no longer play at http://www.lovefilm.com. They hang at "loading". LATER: No, this seems to be a temporary problem with the site, not Quirky.

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

Hi

I decided to test DVD playback with Q-006.

The DVD I used was one I shrunk with Pburn some time ago when I was helping zigbert to debug Pburn. It plays perfectly on my stand alone DVD player.

The DVD started fine when selected from gnome-mplayer, however playback was quite choppy to the point where it was almost unwatchable. My hardware is ok, Athlon2100+, 768 ram, radeon 9200 pro vid card, "radeon" driver loads no problem. Mplyer plays fine using pupRadio/Telly.

I didn't test DVD playback in Q-005, so I thought I would boot back into that and see what happened. Playback with the same disc was perfect, no chop at all.

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:The DVD started fine when selected from gnome-mplayer, however playback was quite choppy to the point where it was almost unwatchable. My hardware is ok, Athlon2100+, 768 ram, radeon 9200 pro vid card, "radeon" driver loads no problem. Mplyer plays fine using pupRadio/Telly.

I didn't test DVD playback in Q-005, so I thought I would boot back into that and see what happened. Playback with the same disc was perfect, no chop at all.
Right now I'm running 006 on my laptop, Intel video, 1GB RAM, 1.4GHz Celeron CPU.

I tested with video-out set to 'x11' and it played smoothly. Top showed 50% CPU usage.

I tested with video-out set to 'xv' and again it played smoothly, with 40% CPU usage.

Earlier, I tested on a 1GHz Celeron, 256MB RAM, PC, and a DVD played smoothly.

So, I'm wondering why you are having a problem.I'm wondering if Gnome-mplayer is having a problem with your DVD drive. Is it a normal internal IDE type of drive?

I think we need lots of people to try this, and maybe we can identify a common factor if others get choppy playback.

I'll test on some more PCs.

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

Hi Barry

The drive in my box is an ATAPI iHAP322 9 (Liteon IDE dual layer DVD burner, quite common I think, numbers of drive as reported in Hardinfo).

Now I decided to check on my old p3 600, 128ram, old Vanta vid card (agp1) puppy pfix=ram, "nv" driver loads as expected... lo and behold the same DVD plays better than on my fast box.. not quite perfect but allowing that the clockspeed and ram are a third of my main box that is understandable. The drive in that is a TSSCorp (Samsung) single layer DVD burner, but DVD burning no longer works in that drive, it is 5 years old and has seen plenty of work. CD burning and DVD playback seem fine with that drive.

So, it must be either the drive or video the card that gnome-mplayer doesn't like. Like I said was ok in 005 with Ogle. I suppose I can rip out the drive from my old box and shove it in my fast box and see what happens... will report back in 20 mins.

Cheers

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

I first made a USB stick with UNetbootin and tested Q006 on my AcerD250
and everything except getting Wired LAN and Wireless worked. No network detected. That is what most puppy versions say. But the Pup431JP can get the wired going if I go into old version of network manage but on Quirky that fails. Impossible to get it going.

then I tested on my HP - Compaq Presario SR5622SC ... Chipset: nVidia GeForce 6150SE; Graphics Support: PCI Express x16;

It gave the black screen with a cursor on it but nothing to look at. Xorgwizard could not make it work.

Maybe the Nvidia need someone better than me to find it and make it work.

It work with both Pup431JP and Macpup.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

Ok,

Threw in the Samsung dvd drive and no difference... I happened to load Pwidgets too and noticed the CPU was maxed out, so I ran Top and grabbed a screeny.

Is there any log file you want? Let me know.

Cheers
Attachments
top-with-dvd.png
(14.66 KiB) Downloaded 2400 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

I tested DVD playing on the Intel Classmate laptop, which has 900MHz Celeron CPU and 256MB RAM. I have got a USB DVD drive connected.

Booted from USB stick, no pupsave.

A DVD movie plays nice and smooth. Top shows that mplayer is using about 75% of the CPU.

01micko,
Your CPU% for X is too high. It looks like a video driver problem. Curious though that Ogle plays smoothly.

Did you try 'x11' and 'xv' in Gnome-mplayer preferences?

01micko

#10 Post by 01micko »

Ok

Tried both options, xv is the same. However x11 was better, cpu is around 60% now but I can't get full screen, it goes to full screen but the video is not full screen size. Ah well, narrowing it down.

Thanks.

mories

Error with boot parameter pkeys

#11 Post by mories »

Booting with parameter pkeys cause errors:
loadkmap: /dev/tty0 : No such file or directory
loadfont: /dev/tty0 : No such file or directory

Pausing for 60 seconds ...

01micko

#12 Post by 01micko »

Ok,

A bit of study of mplayer man page and it seems the radeon driver needs vo=xvidix... ok, tried that and cpu is down to 65-70% and video plays very smoothly and at full screen :) , but there is a green stripe on the RHS..about 10px wide :( .. ah well, seems I can't have it all!

Will investigate more tomorrow.

Cheers

aarf

#13 Post by aarf »

edit: mp4 from youtube,

downloaded at the icafe with some online downloader in windows
click plays in everything except quirky 5 and quirky 6 where you have to drag and drop into the vacant player after clicking it. it is not unique, have other that also need drag and drop while further others downloaded youtube mp4 will click play. will post it somewhere if you cant find it
no md5hash in right click and the hasher doesn't drag ad drop, and then you cant copy the hash but must save a new file then open it , to be able to copy the md5hash output somewhere else. very tedious.
xdelta in 431 works wonderfully the xdelta method is best new version upgrade yet.
Last edited by aarf on Thu 28 Jan 2010, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

drblock2

Quirky 006

#14 Post by drblock2 »

Took Quirky 006 out for walk this morning. Here a few observations about his behavior.

1. Quirky did not recognize the ATI Mobility Radeon X300 in my ThinkPad R52. When I entered the proper screen resolution, the result was a barely visible dim screen.

After some experimentation, I was able to get the vesa driver to work.

2. The German keyboard that I selected during setup was not properly installed. I was able to fix this with the XKB Configuration Manage.

3. Connection to the net via LAN functioned with no problems, lameSMB found, but refused to connect to one of my two remote computers. Connection via smbclient worked (for simple file tasks, this seems easier than ftp, which requires you to start a server on one of the computers).

4. mplayer and pupradio worked fine on audio files. A DVD test with mplayer was partially successful. Sound and video quality were excellent, but full screen did not work.

So, a few things left to do. Wish I could be of more help.

upnorth

Quirky006 performance

#15 Post by upnorth »

It seems gnome-mplayer & gecko-mediaplayer are a great addition. I'm running frugal now with the following apps open: ayttm, abiword, gnumeric, seamonkey with gecko media player plugin live streaming mp3. Performance is still real snappy and everything is stable. Memory use is miserly and no swap is being utilized.

I have only 256ram and a 466mhz pre-coppermine celeron, which is based on pII.

So far, 006 is proving to be an excellent accomplishment!

Kudos to you!

timremy

#16 Post by timremy »

hello mr barry

tried quirky 006.

on inteli m proc 900mhz:

had to search for wifi twice then connected.

listening to a radio station i thought i would download some

mp3's. when i hit save target link, the screen just flickered. had

to stop listening to the radio station then i could download mp3's.

on intel dual core:

have to reconnect to etho evrytime. thats ok, it only takes a

second.

timremy

bigpup

Mplayer no sound

#17 Post by bigpup »

Sound will not work in Mplayer. Video is fine. I have tried changing settings, but nothing gets sound working.

Pmusic works with no problems.

Precord mp3 recorder/player works no problems.

PupRadio no sound.

Any help?

haines

Danish language

#18 Post by haines »

I am not able to use danish font in 006,
Is okay in 003 and 005

Best regards
haines

adi

keyboard layout problem

#19 Post by adi »

Setting does not function for Romanian (ro) keyboard at boot (it should look like păî, lşţ, 0+'â) . After boot it still remains US keyboard layout. Quirky 005 were ok.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

morie posted a fix for /usr/bin/xwin. There was a typo in my new code that sets the keyboard layout to correctly match that chosen for the console.

Attached:
Attachments
xwin.gz
(8.15 KiB) Downloaded 594 times