Ease of HD Install? Needs Work...

Booting, installing, newbie
joeaverage

Ease of HD Install? Needs Work...

#1 Post by joeaverage »

I tried 1.02 recently, and though I liked it a lot, I ended up going with Damn Small Linux because DSL's install script was quick and painless. I didn't have to create an extra partition like Puppy requires.

I'd still like to install Puppy to HD someday, if it can install as easily as DSL.

-j.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Puppy has two types of hard drive installations:

Type 1 - which uses an existing FAT32 or Linux ext2 partition provided there is enough free space.

Type 2 - which takes over an existing partition - this is the same thing DSL does.

----------

I guess I don't understand specifically what circumstance you ran into with Puppy that you didn't with DSL

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Find your distro

#3 Post by Lobster »

Your comments are perfectly fair and valid
:)
Added your easy install comment here
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/Distros
this info needs updating

here is another review
http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/467

I have Puppy on its own HD but to be honest never use that option. I boot from CD, info is stored on the connected HD.

Recently gave recent copies of Austrumi, DSL and Puppy to a friend to see which is preferred with his standard Netgear wifi.

If DSL works for you then use it. DSL is improving, the last version seemed much improved. It is also ideal for low resource machines.

I really liked featherweight but could not install to HD (and it needed to be installed to HD) - it is based on feather. I like the elegance of Beatrix.

I use Puppy. It is the first distro I actually use. Every day. Through choice. I could be using XP, Ubuntu, Red Hat and so on. You have to find what works for you.

I like Puppy. I like the people who use and develop Puppy. I use Puppy.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tonhou

Install to HD

#4 Post by tonhou »

Installing 1.03 to HD is very difficult - I haven't succeeded. The problem is with the state of CD mount/unmount. I began installing to a 200 MHz Pentium with 64Mb RAM. I booted into Puppy CD with option 2 and then started the Install to HD menu item - but it could not recognise the CD as the install CD and wanted it to be changed, which of course is not possible.

Has anyone installed Puppy 1.03 to a 64Mb RAM system successfully?

--Tony

Lobster
Official Crustacean

HD Install

#5 Post by Lobster »

The Option 2 install - started as 'for Developers only'
So it may be difficult but it is getting easier . . .

I have a spare hard drive - gonna try installing Puppy 1.0.3
and document the process :)

OK that took me 15 minutes (I timed it) on HD now

The Wiki page is a muddle . . . so gonna try and sort it a little . .
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/HardDiskInstall
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

tonhou

#6 Post by tonhou »

Hmm . . . thanks for the reply. Are you sure you only have 64Mb RAM (not copying anything to RAM)? The problem I have is with the CD in the drive it then wants it to be changed to the install CD (which it already is!). Seems to me that the script is only setup for installing to HD if things are running from RAM.

--Tony

dvw86

#7 Post by dvw86 »

I did an install to HD with Grub, and it was fairly easy. I choose boot option 2 (No Save to Hard Drive) when first booting off of the CD. The hard drive was already empty and unformatted. I then used cfdisk to format the drive as ext2. Finally, while running the install to hard drive script, I went with option 2 and put Grub on the MBR. It worked great. In fact I'm rethinking the compact flash card in my "Ultimate Puppy Machine" in favor of my spare 120GB drive. :D

tonhou

#8 Post by tonhou »

Yes .......... but my question is : Is it possible to install to HD from a system which only has 64Mb of RAM -Puppy running off CD not from RAM!! The script doesn't seem to allow it.

--Tony

dvw86

#9 Post by dvw86 »

Could you try using a USB drive to store the pup file while you installed Puppy to the hard drive? I have ran puppy that way with no formatted hard drive. I may be wrong, but I would think that would free up the hard drive for the install.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Maybe not . . .

#10 Post by Lobster »

tonhou wrote:Yes .......... but my question is : Is it possible to install to HD from a system which only has 64Mb of RAM -Puppy running off CD not from RAM!! The script doesn't seem to allow it.

--Tony
:?

There are posts either here or on the old forum that I seem to remember allow something like this (or did I have some sort of a hallucination). However the simplest solution might be to use the bare bones Puppy. This WILL put Puppy in RAM but give you more room to install from. The standard script itself does not copy from CD.

Check out the News page on the wiki for news of a 24meg Puppy - if you write directly to the Rev. he might write what you require into his unleashed Puppy . . . or pray for your salvation (if you are unlucky)

Sorry we can not be of more help, some of us are Linux Newbies, trying to help the best we can . . . :)

Forgive us - for we are ignorant :shock:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

tonhou

#11 Post by tonhou »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think perhaps the title of this thread says it! Ease of HD Install? Needs Work . . .

--Tony

wscarl

HD Install with 64meg you need two cdrom and two copies of p

#12 Post by wscarl »

HD Install with 64meg you need two cdrom's and two copies of puppy- ITs work just installed on and old Parkard Hell :twisted: with 64meg ram 4gig HD
CDrom (slaved in temp second CDROM, with second copy of puppy, after having your problem). Problem Solved!!!!! :D :idea:

wscarl

Note the install is for 1.0.3 duel cdrom's and duel puppy cd

#13 Post by wscarl »

Note: the HD install is for 1.0.3 using duel cdrom's and duel puppy cd's on 64meg memory system work's!!!!!!!!!!!!

wscarl

Re: Install to HD

#14 Post by wscarl »

tonhou wrote:Installing 1.03 to HD is very difficult - I haven't succeeded. The problem is with the state of CD mount/unmount. I began installing to a 200 MHz Pentium with 64Mb RAM. I booted into Puppy CD with option 2 and then started the Install to HD menu item - but it could not recognise the CD as the install CD and wanted it to be changed, which of course is not possible.

Has anyone installed Puppy 1.03 to a 64Mb RAM system successfully?

--Tony
YES :idea: by using a second cdrom with a second copy of puppy 1.03

wscarl

Re: Maybe not . . .Yes - with add, hardware/software

#15 Post by wscarl »

Lobster wrote:
tonhou wrote:Yes .......... but my question is : Is it possible to install to HD from a system which only has 64Mb of RAM -Puppy running off CD not from RAM!! The script doesn't seem to allow it.

--Tony
:?

There are posts either here or on the old forum that I seem to remember allow something like this (or did I have some sort of a hallucination). However the simplest solution might be to use the bare bones Puppy. This WILL put Puppy in RAM but give you more room to install from. The standard script itself does not copy from CD.

Check out the News page on the wiki for news of a 24meg Puppy - if you write directly to the Rev. he might write what you require into his unleashed Puppy . . . or pray for your salvation (if you are unlucky)

Sorry we can not be of more help, some of us are Linux Newbies, trying to help the best we can . . . :)

Forgive us - for we are ignorant :shock:
Think out side the Loster trap - sometimes there is an easy fix - Like a second cdrom and second copy of puppy 1.03 to get the job done! :lol:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Maybe not . . .Yes - with add, hardware/software

#16 Post by Lobster »

Whatever works,Works! (no more clues)
So well done. Would an option 2 install with Puppy BareBones 1.0.3 work for installing in less memory? Has anybody tried this?

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

vdquynh

Puppy 1.0.3. installed fine to HD (7 yr old comp w 64 MB)

#17 Post by vdquynh »

I have successfully installed Puppy 1.0.3. on a 64 MB RAM system.
The computer was an old one, with a 3 GB HD originally with one VFAT primary partition (Windows 98).

I described the procedure here :

http://www.hanoilug.org/dokuwiki/meetin ... 8:puppyhdd
Quynh (M.)
Hanoi, Vietnam

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Puppy 1.0.3. installed fine to HD (7 yr old comp w 64 MB

#18 Post by BarryK »

vdquynh wrote:I have successfully installed Puppy 1.0.3. on a 64 MB RAM system.
The computer was an old one, with a 3 GB HD originally with one VFAT primary partition (Windows 98).

I described the procedure here :

http://www.hanoilug.org/dokuwiki/meetin ... 8:puppyhdd
vdquynh,
Thanks for the howto. I'll put a link to it from somewhere on my site.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#19 Post by Lobster »

8)

I hope you will consider using the wiki more to stop duplication of linking and effort

;)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)