what's with the mount wizard?

Booting, installing, newbie
papaschtroumpf

what's with the mount wizard?

#1 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I'm not sure I understand how the mount wizard decides on the mount point for partiions on the local hardrive.
I'm using a (virtual) PC that has VL5STD on one partition (/dev/hda1, resiserfs), swap on another (/dev/hda2) and a 3G "unused" ext2 partition (/dev/hda3).

I swear yesterday "/dev/hda3" was mounted to /mnt/linux2 and today it's mounted on /mnt/home

Is there a way to specify the mount point?

not a huge deal but disconcerting.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

A partition gets mounted on /mnt/home when Puppy is using that partition for its "pup001" file. You can't unmount it.

It would have got mounted on some other mount point if Puppy wasn't using the pup001 file, like you booted with option not to save to h.d.

papaschtroumpf

#3 Post by papaschtroumpf »

must have been it then.
I never intended to mount it with a pupxxxx file on that machine but I either mispressed a key or does it time out and launch after a while? I checked and ther eis a pup file on the parition so it makes sense.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Boot option times out to default

#4 Post by Flash »

Yes, if you don't do anything then after a few seconds Puppy boots to the standard "pup001" configuration.

papaschtroumpf

#5 Post by papaschtroumpf »

on a different Virtual PC machine, that has a single /dev/hda1 ext2 partition with no OS on it, it mounted that partition to /mnt/data.
Like I said, not a big deal since once you're in the right mount point, it's all the same.