Glipper-lite

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
disciple

Glipper-lite

#1 Post by disciple »

DESCRIPTION
glipper puts a little icon in your system tray to keep a list of your clipboard (cut/copy) and your primary selection (which is what gets pasted when you click in a text editor [or wherever] with your middle mouse button). A welcome side-effect is that it takes ownership of what you cut/copy or select... so you can past it even after closing the application that you cut/copied or selected it in.

ABOUT THIS VERSION
This version seems to be one of the best kept secrets of open source :(
After glipper got gnome dependencies and before they rewrote it in python, someone made a "glipper-lite" tree in cvs.
"Lite" means they removed the Gnome dependencies, so the "help" context menu entry and button in the preferences don't work (Perhaps someone would like to hack a fix for this? Or even just disable them? Note that the older version of glipper didn't have a help anyway). It does depend on glade now, unlike the old version :(
They also fixed the bug that prevented pasting of binary data (e.g. images in Openoffice or wherever). I'm guessing this will also have fixed the bug related to paste in (Seamonkey?) Composer, which caused Barry to turn glipper off by default in Puppy... although I don't know the details of that problem.
You can also set a shortcut key combination to pop up the glipper history list.

ALTERNATIVES
This uses a fraction more ram than parcellite, which uses a fraction more than the old version of glipper. The latest version of parcellite has also fixed an equivalent bug preventing pasting binary data, and you can get it at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51799, but note that glipper-lite is better, because with parcellite it is impossible to tell the difference between the situation where the
clipboard and the Primary selection contain the same text, and the
situation where the cliboard contains text but the Primary selection
contains binary data (e.g. a picture selected in openoffice.org). The advantages of parcellite are its "edit clipboard" and "actions" features... but I suspect most people don't use them.
In parcellite when the clipboard contents get to the bottom of the list they move to the top again, which is rather silly, but not too much of a problem.
Glipper also has a nice crisp icon, while Parcellite has a blurry one :)

BUGS YOU CAN FIX
- the help entry in the context menu and button in the preferences dialogue don't work.
- if the Primary Selection is binary data, you can't click its entry to put it in the clipboard as well.
- if the Primary Selection is binary data and you close the program that owns it, glipper still lists it, but it is actually gone - if you middle click you can't paste it.
- if you clear the history, then select or copy a picture or whatever, glipper won't list it - i.e. there must be at least one text entry in the history before it will identify that you are selecting or copying binary data.
- if the clipboard contains binary data, then you clear the history, when you select something next the binary data reappears. ACTUALLY, even though text that was in the clipboard does not reappear, I consider the bug to be not that the entry reappears, but that the entries for both clipboard and primary selection (whether for text or binary data) disappear in the first place - the contents of the clipboard and the primary selection remain unless you close the program that put them there, so they should not be cleared from the list... or alternatively glipper should actually clear the clipboard and primary selection at the same time as clearing its list. I imagine there is a simple fix for this - adding a line or two of code at the end of the function that clears the list, to get the current selection and clipboard, like at startup.

N.B. I upxed the binary.
Attachments
glipper-lite.pet
Please try the one I made further down, unless you have an antique version of GTK, which doesn't support gtkbuilder http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=571240#571240
(18.6 KiB) Downloaded 1332 times
glipper-lite_NLS.pet
International files
(5.95 KiB) Downloaded 1268 times
glipper-lite_src.tar.gz
The source if you don't want to get it from cvs
(92.21 KiB) Downloaded 1256 times
Last edited by disciple on Fri 07 Oct 2011, 14:04, edited 5 times in total.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

I found that myself the other week when there was some discussion of glipper. I had already patched the last glipper C release to not need/use any gnome stuff, but I haven't compared the sources or running versions to see what other differences there were in the code.

It often pays to browse around the repos of projects! I also found some 'extra' code for the last inkscape version which doesn't need gtkmm a patchset which was submitted just days after that last C version was released. By a few days later the main branch of the repo was already changed to use the new gtkmm interface, but there was *one day* where the old code with the extra patchset was available, and with only *one file* of CPP code. Anyway, it's fun to dif around in peoples closets for old code...

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

I removed the help from the Ccode and also from the glade.
Now it works without error :)
ttuuxxx
Attachments
glipper-lite-1.0.tar.gz
(80.65 KiB) Downloaded 1611 times
glipper-lite-1.0-i386.pet
(18.47 KiB) Downloaded 1307 times
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Sat 06 Feb 2010, 16:45, edited 2 times in total.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#4 Post by ttuuxxx »

LOL I'll have to redo the sources.
ttuuxxx

amigo

#5 Post by amigo »

I looked over the various sources again today. As best as I can see, all the fixes which were part of the patch you found and applied before to the glipper-0.95.1 sources are in the glipper-lite sources -apparently without any changes.

I had also downloaded the last CVS sources from the regular glipper trunk -the last commit was 2007-06-04. There are lots of changes there, but I haven't looked enough to see where that date fits within the release versions -oh wait here it is -glipper-1.0 was released on 2007-08-07. glipper-lite is marked as 1.0 also so it was split from trunk just before the very gnome-dependent glipper-1.0. It might pay to do some cross-diffs to compare the earlier release versions with the last CVS and with 1.0 to see if any more fixes are in there which could be back-ported. Unfortunately, large hunks of the code have very significant changes which makes it harder to make sense of it... Nice hobby for someone with the time.

ttuuxxx

#6 Post by ttuuxxx »

ok I posted updated sources again, lol last time I was missing 1/2 the files, anyways also change the root directory from root./glipper to root/.glipperlite and did some name changes also to Glipper-Lite
ttuuxxx

amigo

#7 Post by amigo »

ttuuxxx, I think you missed a couple of spots for changing the name of the hidden directory where glipper-lite keeps its' history and prefs files.
I rediffed your sources to fix that, and also to simply disable the help feature instead of removing the files -someone might come along and fix the feature to work without 'yelp', for all I know. I guess you found out that the 'fixes' diff referenced before was no longer needed as I see you left the *.rej file and the old patch in the sources.
Here are the refactored diffs -I have split it into two diffs to be clearer about what they each do:

glipper-lite-name.diff:

Code: Select all

--- ./src/main.c.00	2007-04-25 22:38:59.000000000 +0200
+++ ./src/main.c	2010-02-06 19:24:16.000000000 +0100
@@ -130,7 +130,7 @@
 		g_free(temp);

//Add description tooltip to bold entry
-		gtk_tooltips_set_tip(toolTip, MenuItem, _("This entry was copied with ctrl+c.\nIt can be pasted with ctrl+v."), "Glipper");
+		gtk_tooltips_set_tip(toolTip, MenuItem, _("This entry was copied with ctrl+c.\nIt can be pasted with ctrl+v."), "Glipper-Lite");
 	}
 	else if (!item)
 	{
@@ -177,7 +177,7 @@
 			gtk_image_new_from_pixbuf(pixbuf));
 	}	
 	gtk_label_set_text((GtkLabel*)gtk_bin_get_child((GtkBin*)menuHeader), 
-			g_strdup_printf(_("Glipper - Clipboardmanager  (%s)"), keyComb));
+			g_strdup_printf(_("Glipper-Lite - Clipboardmanager  (%s)"), keyComb));

if (historyMenu != NULL)
 	{
@@ -212,7 +212,7 @@
 		}

//Add description tooltip to first item
-		gtk_tooltips_set_tip(toolTip, firstItem, _("This is the last element to be copied.\nIt can be pasted with the middle mouse button."), "Glipper");
+		gtk_tooltips_set_tip(toolTip, firstItem, _("This is the last element to be copied.\nIt can be pasted with the middle mouse button."), "Glipper-Lite");

if (temp != NULL || (DefaultClip.isBin && !PrimaryClip.isBin))
 		{
@@ -432,8 +432,8 @@

//Add description tooltip to the icon
 	toolTip = gtk_tooltips_new();
-	gtk_tooltips_set_tip(toolTip, eventbox, g_strdup_printf(_("Glipper (%s)\nClipboardmanager"),
-		keyComb), "Glipper");
+	gtk_tooltips_set_tip(toolTip, eventbox, g_strdup_printf(_("Glipper-Lite (%s)\nClipboardmanager"),
+		keyComb), "Glipper-Lite");

//connect and show everything:
 	gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(eventbox), tray_icon_image);
@@ -469,7 +469,7 @@
 		"translator-credits", _("translator-credits"),
 		"license", license,
 		"name", "Glipper-Lite",
-		"comments", _("Clipboardmanager"),
+		"comments", _("Clipboard manager"),
 		"logo", gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file(PIXMAPDIR"/glipper.png", &pix_error),
 		"website", "http://glipper.sourceforge.net/",
 		"version", VERSION,
@@ -516,7 +516,7 @@
 //trys to open (or create) a file in "~/.glipper" for writing purposes:
 FILE* writeGlipperFile(char* filename)
 {
-	gchar* directory = g_build_path("/", g_get_home_dir(), ".glipper", NULL);
+	gchar* directory = g_build_path("/", g_get_home_dir(), ".glipperlite", NULL);
 	gchar* path = g_build_filename(directory, filename, NULL);
 	FILE* file = fopen(path, "w");
 	if (file == NULL)
@@ -528,7 +528,7 @@
 				g_warning("Can't open or create file %s!", path);
 		}
 		else
-			g_warning ("Can't create directory '.glipper' in user's home directory!");
+			g_warning ("Can't create directory '.glipperlite' in user's home directory!");
 	}
 	g_free(directory);
 	g_free(path);
@@ -556,7 +556,7 @@

void readHistory()
 {
-	gchar* path= g_build_filename(g_get_home_dir(), ".glipper/history", NULL);
+	gchar* path= g_build_filename(g_get_home_dir(), ".glipperlite/history", NULL);
 	FILE* histFile = fopen(path, "r");
 	g_free(path);
 	if (histFile != 0)
@@ -581,7 +581,7 @@

void readPreferences()
 {
-	gchar* path= g_build_filename(g_get_home_dir(), ".glipper/prefs", NULL);
+	gchar* path= g_build_filename(g_get_home_dir(), ".glipperlite/prefs", NULL);
 	FILE* prefFile = fopen(path, "r");
 	g_free(path);
 	free(keyComb);
@@ -614,7 +614,7 @@
 	hasChanged=1; 
 	deleteOldElement(maxElements);
 	keybinder_bind(keyComb, keyhandler, NULL);
-	gtk_tooltips_set_tip(toolTip, eventbox, g_strdup_printf(_("Glipper (%s)\nClipboardmanager"),
+	gtk_tooltips_set_tip(toolTip, eventbox, g_strdup_printf(_("Glipper-Lite (%s)\nClipboardmanager"),
 		keyComb), "Glipper");
 }

--- ./data/glipper-properties.glade.00	2007-01-04 21:06:06.000000000 +0100
+++ ./data/glipper-properties.glade	2010-02-06 19:16:36.000000000 +0100
@@ -5,7 +5,7 @@

<widget class="GtkDialog" id="preferences-dialog">
   <property name="border_width">5</property>
-  <property name="title" translatable="yes">Glipper Preferences</property>
+  <property name="title" translatable="yes">Glipper-Lite Preferences</property>
   <property name="type">GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL</property>
   <property name="window_position">GTK_WIN_POS_NONE</property>
   <property name="modal">False</property>
@@ -280,7 +280,7 @@
 		  <child>
 		    <widget class="GtkLabel" id="label10">
 		      <property name="visible">True</property>
-		      <property name="label" translatable="yes">Which clipboards should be managed by Glipper?</property>
+		      <property name="label" translatable="yes">Which clipboards should be managed by Glipper-Lite?</property>
 		      <property name="use_underline">False</property>
 		      <property name="use_markup">True</property>
 		      <property name="justify">GTK_JUSTIFY_LEFT</property>
glipper-lite-disable-help.diff:

--- ./src/main.c.01	2010-02-06 19:24:16.000000000 +0100
+++ ./src/main.c	2010-02-06 19:30:23.000000000 +0100
@@ -489,7 +489,7 @@
 	GtkWidget* about = gtk_image_menu_item_new_from_stock(GTK_STOCK_ABOUT, NULL);
 	g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT(about), "activate", G_CALLBACK(show_about), NULL);

-	GtkWidget* help = gtk_image_menu_item_new_from_stock(GTK_STOCK_HELP, NULL);
+	//GtkWidget* help = gtk_image_menu_item_new_from_stock(GTK_STOCK_HELP, NULL);
 	//g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT(help), "activate", G_CALLBACK(showHelp), NULL);

GtkWidget* preferences = gtk_image_menu_item_new_from_stock(GTK_STOCK_PREFERENCES, NULL);
@@ -497,7 +497,7 @@

//Add the widgets to the menu
 	gtk_menu_append((GtkMenu*)popupMenu, preferences);
-	gtk_menu_append((GtkMenu*)popupMenu, help);
+	//gtk_menu_append((GtkMenu*)popupMenu, help);
 	gtk_menu_append((GtkMenu*)popupMenu, about);
 	gtk_menu_append((GtkMenu*)popupMenu, gtk_separator_menu_item_new());
 	gtk_menu_append((GtkMenu*)popupMenu, quit);
--- ./data/glipper-properties.glade.01	2010-02-06 19:16:36.000000000 +0100
+++ ./data/glipper-properties.glade	2010-02-06 19:28:46.000000000 +0100
@@ -45,18 +45,6 @@
 	    </widget>
 	  </child>

-	  <child>
-	    <widget class="GtkButton" id="helpButton">
-	      <property name="visible">True</property>
-	      <property name="can_default">True</property>
-	      <property name="can_focus">True</property>
-	      <property name="label">gtk-help</property>
-	      <property name="use_stock">True</property>
-	      <property name="relief">GTK_RELIEF_NORMAL</property>
-	      <property name="focus_on_click">True</property>
-	      <property name="response_id">-11</property>
-	    </widget>
-	  </child>
 	</widget>
 	<packing>
 	  <property name="padding">0</property>
In looking through the various sources from CVS, there is a glipper-ng branch which is the new glipper(1.0) which is all py-gtk, etc. But the cvs branch named simply 'glipper' has some interesting code in it in the form of python-based plugins (which are also in glipper-1.0).

For my sources of glipper-lite (and glipper-0.95.1) I have used a debian patch which provides a man-page (you know what those are, ttuuxxx? LOL) and some extra images (xpm, 48x48 png and a svg).

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Expanding on this, just for the record:
disciple wrote:- if the Primary Selection is binary data, you can't click its entry to put it in the clipboard as well.
If the Primary Selection includes text and binary data (e.g. you select text and a picture in Firefox), when you click on its entry the text gets put in both the Primary Selection and the Clipboard, by itself :(

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

ttuuxxx

#9 Post by ttuuxxx »

amigo wrote:
For my sources of glipper-lite (and glipper-0.95.1) I have used a debian patch which provides a man-page (you know what those are, ttuuxxx? LOL) and some extra images (xpm, 48x48 png and a svg).
Hi amigo thanks for your input, I do know what man pages are, lol I even added a man page editor in 2.14x about 6 months back "gmanedit". But by default Puppy in general remove man pages to save space, so adding that feature would actually be working backwards since they just get tossed anyways. the largest icon needed for glipper is 24x24.png, it will never have a desktop 48x48 icon and svg is just a waste of space.
Help files are useless for this type of application, I even read the default help files and really, its a no-brainer application. extra code,extra icons, patch files, etc are just added uneeded extra weight. Code reduction, icon compression, no man pages is really whats best for overall size. i like parcellite better but there are a few dedicated glipper users, Barry is one.

ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#10 Post by ttuuxxx »

here's another version of glipper that I removed the adjustable preferences from the menu and removed the glade file. 3kb smaller, lol
ttuuxx
Attachments
glipper-lite-1.0-i386.pet
(15.47 KiB) Downloaded 1241 times

amigo

#11 Post by amigo »

Wow! 3KB saved! Just think, if you do that for 300 programs you save a whopping 1MB! I'll never understand the effort to cripple a program as much as possible and still have it run... Why not just gut the rest of the funtionality so that it only displays an icon and does nothing else? It's too bad the help doesn't work because someone who has never used a clipboard history app would be absolutley clueless as to what the icon is and what the app does.

I'll grant you that for your purposes you don't need the other larger icons because you have the thing always running at startup. But someone else might not want all those bloaty little apps running all the time, so a larger icon and the desktop file are handy to have around. Anyway, for my sources, I always try to collect as much useful material for or about the package as possible -including a copy of any pertinent web-page to go with them.

I sure don't understand why you'd disable the preferences for the program for a measly 3KB of saved space....

Thanks, disciple, for the precise explanation of the problems so someone might be able to fix them.

ttuuxxx

#12 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi amigo, LOL no that wasn't what I was aiming for, I figured if I removed the glade file from the sources that it might cut the file size down by a lot, but when I saw only 3kb compressed I didn't even package or keep the sources,lol I agree 3 kb is nothing but 9 kb would of been nice to have it 1/2 the size. as for the functionality, I did increase the amount of lines kept in history and the size of lines. I kept defaults other than the 2 I increased, so it basically the functionality works the same, just not adjustable.
ttuuxxx

disciple

#13 Post by disciple »

OK,
I've done something a little more useful than Ttuuxxx - converted it to use gtkbuilder (built into newer GTK versions) instead of glade. I did this mainly as a learning experience, but it does remove the glade dependency and drop the memory usage below that of parcellite :)

I was wondering if you guys can help me with either of these questions:
- instead of a glipper-properties.glade, it now has a glipper-properties.ui file, and I'm not sure how this affects the localisation files. Should I just replace all the instances of "glipper-properties.glade" with "glipper-properties.ui", directly in all the individual .po files, or is that not the proper thing to do?
- is there an equivalent of `make clean` that will clean out all the files created by autogen.sh, to make it easy to create a patch with diff?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

technosaurus

#14 Post by technosaurus »

@disciple - sounds great, if only we could have gtkdialog updated for gtkbuilder vs. glade that would help about half of puppy's base and eliminate the last glade dependency
the locales "work in a slightly different way" http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unst ... ilder.html

make distclean ???
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

disciple

#15 Post by disciple »

the locales "work in a slightly different way"
It doesn't use "context", so I think that's not a problem.
So do you think I do just manually replace the string in all the .po files?
make distclean ???
That seemed right... but I still get 57,889 lines of diff :)
I suppose it isn't too hard to manually trim down.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

amigo

#16 Post by amigo »

Yeah, creating full-folder diffs is a pain sometimes. Try running configure and then 'make distclean' in the 'raw' sources to help cut down the numbers.
If you have only modified a couple of files, I find it easier to use 'gendiff' which comes with rpm:

#!/bin/sh

[ -z "$1" -o -z "$2" ] && {
# usage
  echo "usage: $0 <directory> <diff-extension>" 1>&2
  exit 1
}

find $1 \( -name "*$2" -o -name ".*$2" \) -print |
while read f; do
    U=-u
    [ "`basename $f`" = "ChangeLog$2" ] && U=-U0
#    diff ${U} $f `echo $f | sed s/$2\$//`
    if [ -r "$f" ]; then
	diff ${U} "${f}" "${f%$2}"
    else
	diff ${U} /dev/null "${f%$2}"
    fi
done
To use it, simply create copies of the original files with a suffix like '.00' and place them in the edited sources. Then, from the topdir of the edited sources run:
gendiff . .00 > name-of-patch

Sometimes I go through both trees of sources and remove files from both which are showing up in the diff but which are not pertinent to the changes -like Makefile.in autogen.sh, etc. This case is a typical example of comparing incomplete autoconf sources(from CVS or other -hence the autogen.sh) against sources which have already had their conf files regenerated and then edited as well.

You can also manually cut and remove the sections of the diff which don't matter. If you can't figure it out, attach the big diff and I'll cut it down to size for you. I've gotten pretty handy at it after a few hundred times of dissecting debian patches which typically run in the 250-300 thousand lines (exactly because they always include 'debianized' config.guess, config.sub and all the Makefile.in files which are not often essential to the source code changes).

A few runs of this sort (run in both trees) can help a lot:
find -name Makefile.in -exe rm -f {} \;
find -name "*~" -exe rm -f {} \;
find -name CVS -exe rm -rf {} \;

disciple

#17 Post by disciple »

Try running configure... in the 'raw' sources to help cut down the numbers.
Ah, I should have thought of that :) Still had to delete a few thousand lines though.

This patch seems to work.

Now, I think the answer to my question about the .po files is yes, edit them manually, but also do this https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=454894#c6
Perhaps someone can check that the locales are actually working now?
Attachments
glipper-lite_NLS.pet
(5.94 KiB) Downloaded 1028 times
glipper-lite.pet
(18.8 KiB) Downloaded 1274 times
glipper-gtkbuilder.diff.gz
(8.23 KiB) Downloaded 996 times

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

amigo

#18 Post by amigo »

The bugzilla link is broken. Oops, got it now -there was hidden window about the outdated security certificate...
Looks to me like you may need to be using a late version of intltool to make it work intltool-0.41 can be found through ubuntu.

aragon

#19 Post by aragon »

disciple wrote:Perhaps someone can check that the locales are actually working now?
Your wish is my command. :roll:
German does work.

aragon

amigo

#20 Post by amigo »

Shouldn't that be 'Your wish is my command-line' ?