pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tubby

#41 Post by tubby »

goingnuts
This is absolutely brilliant, i have already played around with it and am currently sorting out the missing libraries i need to allow Firefox to run properly in it, also the libraries for a Rox filer i compiled. Both are accessible from terminal but are still missing some shared libraries.
I have not had so much fun since i discovered Puppy, thanks for your contribution to the forum and its members.

clarf

#42 Post by clarf »

ttuuxxx:

you are right it feels weird, too much time spent in 214X... :) Wonder how many projects are you working on.

goingnuts:

It´s Puppy in its minimum expression. :)

But as another Puppy derivative it should come with some standard Puppy command line utilities like dir2pet, dir2sfs, etc. There´s a latent need to add the tools to adjust pUPnGO to Puppy users needs and also provide the basic building tools for the embed system. I read you are working in a non-GUI pet-install and grub-install, are you working in a new Package Manager too?

Some small applications to manage rpm and deb files will be great, for a powerful building block system. You could try my alienmanager application, I made it for 214X project but surely will work in pUPnGO, because it uses standard busybox commands. You can check it at:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=2589

Which other basic tools do you have in mind?

Greetings,
clarf

goingnuts

#43 Post by goingnuts »

tubby: Thanks!

clarf: I fully agree - it should contain these small but powerful basic applications. I have made the grub and half of the bootmanager, have started on a very simple PET-install and the Universal installer is on hold (extremely complicated for me). But it takes me ages to rewrite them to run in dialog only...

The good thing is that dialog scripts can be made so they run nicely in Xdialog. (although Xdialog adds 3Mb to the pUPnGO-iso).

Other basic tools: date and time setter, timezone setter etc. The small utilities that are nice to have inside and already present in P412 - but converted to dialog only.

I will take a look at your alienmanager soon - sounds good.

Kim

`f00

#44 Post by `f00 »

pup with purpose, what a concept (always did like 412 for some reason). If I can figure out a not-too-complex way to get it to boot from my old zip100 (ack, hopefully not wakepup .. tried it a few times and it only made my head hurt), this leaves a fair amount of storage and a good limiting factor whilst using media that should serve nicely if it works.. Need a break from the candy anyways and the case is due for a cleaning ;)

goingnuts

#45 Post by goingnuts »

New upload of the basic pUPnGO done. The bug with saving personal file has been solved.
This was a major drawback for the whole concept of pUPnGO. Solution is to have some small content in /etc/rc.local checking if there are content in /initrd/pup_z, and if, copy it to root. A personal save afterwards will contain the content from zdrv_412.sfs. There might be more elegant ways to do it - but it seems to work. I think this is a "clean" solution - all your zdrv-toppings ends in your personal save-file, zdrv-approach in pUPnGO "restored" and basis pup_412pUPnGO.sfs no longer needs to be modified/hacked by builders - all additional stuff can be introduced via zdrv_412.sfs.

This also sort of solves the non-GUI/GUI question. Basis is non-GUI, GUI can be introduced by additional sfs, a PET install inside pUPnGO, build in via zdrv_412.sfs etc.

The pUPnGO_V412_XVESA_JWM.iso have been updated (concerning the save bug) but still do not use the zdrv-approach. The pUPnGO_V412_XVESA_JWM.iso is now a “showcase

davesurrey

#46 Post by davesurrey »

Has anyone got
pUPnGO_V412_XVESA_JWM.iso
running as a GUI yet?

I downloaded, installed with puppy pfix=ram, got a cmd prompt okay.
If I type

Code: Select all

Xvesa
I get a graphics screen but blank except for the mouse cursor so what else to type to get a gui?
Also doing

lynx 
at cmd line gives me a basic browser but it doesn't seem to be connected to the net as get
unable to connect to remote host.
and

ifconfig eth0
returns
device not found.
I was hoping this would be a bit easier to start off.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

sinc

#47 Post by sinc »

dave,

startx
:D

davesurrey

#48 Post by davesurrey »

sinc:
Yes of course. How stupid of me. Thanks my friend.
I'm having one of those days :)

Now any idea about why I can't get my internet connection.
ifconfig -a only brings up the local loopback.
Tried dhclient eth0.....not found
ifup eth0 ...can't open /etc/network/interfaces

Driver issue..wonder how I fix that?

Cheers

sinc

#49 Post by sinc »

i haven't tried to connect to the internet yet bc I am not near an ethernet cable, I'm almost always wireless. But what might be helpful would be to use the build script instead of the iso and include ttuuxxx's file manager pet. That will help to be able to search files, but be aware that you have to be in 4.12 in order to use the build script.

goingnuts

#50 Post by goingnuts »

davesurrey wrote:....at cmd line gives me a basic browser but it doesn't seem to be connected to the net as get
unable to connect to remote host.
and

ifconfig eth0
returns
device not found.
I was hoping this would be a bit easier to start off.
Hi davesurrey
Are you running in qemu or on a real machine? pUPnGO only provide drivers for vmware and qemu as is...
Try command route at command line...
Kim

goingnuts

#51 Post by goingnuts »

Update: New build with latest BusyBox snapshot (v.1.17.0.git). A more intensive use of BusyBox used to reduce size (-700K) and complexity. Build script, BusyBox bin and new grub/bootmanager scripts included on iso.

Overview:
Kernel (original) 1,6Mb
initrd.gz (original) 1,3Mb
pup_412pUPnGO.sfs 2,0Mb (3,7Mb with GUI)
zdrv_412.sfs 700 Kb (Lynx)

Basic still boots (in virtual machine) with 16Mb whereas GUI-version needs approx. 24 MB to get to a GUI...

davesurrey

#52 Post by davesurrey »

Kim,
Thanks for your reply.
Are you running in qemu or on a real machine? pUPnGO only provide drivers for vmware and qemu as is...
Running as a frugal install in a real machine. So I guess I need to add the lan driver. Not sure how to do that from cmd line so it'll be a learning experience. :)
Try command route at command line...
#route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
Not sure what that tells me that I didn't know.

ifconfig -a
told me the loopback is okay and that eth0 isn't working.

Thanks anyway.
Dave

goingnuts

#53 Post by goingnuts »

davesurrey
Try to view in a normal p412 which modules are loaded (lsmod) and build them into pUPnGO - then it should work...
kim

nooby

#54 Post by nooby »

Am I right or wrong?

These micro versions of puppy can be used together with all the sfs files that allow it to start up programs without being fat due to only adding one program at a time?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52620 and this one

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47976
SFS's
ch4-AdobeReader-8.0.sfs
ch4-alsa-streamtuner-3.sfs
ch4-fbreader-0.10.7.sfs
ch4-firefox-3.5.3.sfs
ch4-FirePup-0.04.3-ln.sfs
ch4-FoxitReader1.0.sfs
ch4-frostwire-4.17.0-jre.sfs
ch4-geany-0.16.sfs
ch4-gimphoto-1.4.3.sfs
ch4-GoogleEarth-4.3-ln.sfs
ch4-gxine-0.5.9b.sfs
ch4-jre1.6.0_11.sfs
ch4-K-Office-1.6.3.sfs
ch4-Mplayer1rc2.sfs
ch4-mtpaint-3.30.sfs
ch4-mtpaint-3.31.1-i486.sfs
ch4-OpenOffice-3.0-ln.sfs
ch4-OpenOffice-3.1.1.sfs
ch4-Opera10final-4585.sfs
ch4-pwidgets-2.0.8.sfs
ch4-samba-3.0.26.sfs
ch4-seamonkey-1.1.18-full.sfs
ch4-vlc_nogui-0.8.6.sfs
ch4-winelite-1.1.14.sfs
ch4-winelite-1.1.30.sfs

Last edited by jrb on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:24 am; edited 5 times in total

some posts down in that thread. I guess they are made for Choice pup. How is that one different from the pupngo?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ttuuxxx

#55 Post by ttuuxxx »

nooby wrote:Am I right or wrong?

some posts down in that thread. I guess they are made for Choice pup. How is that one different from the pupngo?
pUPnGO is for advanced linux users, its the extreme lightweight version, It hardly has enough in it to actually run in gui. Its a building a base tool, Where as Choicepup has a solid base, and works well out of the box, pUPnGO you have to configure things to work etc, but it you have the time you'll learn a lot from using it, but you'll need patience and google :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

nooby

#56 Post by nooby »

Choicepup could be next step learning linux for me then. I tested to start anew with Stardust last night and managed to do both codecs to mplayer and to find and take down Firefox 3.57 so that was an adventure.

Choicepup look interesting if one have not the latest hardware then. only use what you need when you need it. But Stardust works very good on my HP/Compaq 5622 with 2 or 3 GB RAM not sure. :)

oh, are all puppies adjusted to be used on USB flash? Does all puppie by default write only when one tell them to?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

technosaurus

#57 Post by technosaurus »

Sounds like a great base for a browser only puplet... something I would like to get back to eventually - probably with Midori. I would try a fully static build but since flash is a necessity I would likely pull in the shared libs that flash 9 depends on and do the rest static. Figuring out required libraries is easy using ldd, but does anyone know how you find the other required files (images, fonts, config files etc..) short of parsing a strace output?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#58 Post by goingnuts »

technosaurus wrote:...but does anyone know how you find the other required files (images, fonts, config files etc..) short of parsing a strace output?
Do not know if this is an answer to your question...but pUPnGO build script has some limited ability to include ordinary PET-files in the build. Place them in /data/pets-folder and at least the files will be in the build...

technosaurus

#59 Post by technosaurus »

@goingnuts
Although that works it also brings in (sometimes many) unnecessary files.
Actually I was refering to programs that segfault if missing some random file (not a library) that is hardcoded in. This could be a config file or even something as simple as an image file.

When you compile with debugging enabled, programs often output these problems to the command line (which you can log with [program] [-options] 2>programerror.log)... but debugging makes the program significantly larger and would require a full rebuild

Without debugging enabled, you can use strace, but you get too much info:
strace [program] [-options] &>program.log

I seem to recall a program called filewatch or something that would just tell you what files were accessed by a program... so that one could pull in only the files that are absolutely required.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jemimah

#60 Post by jemimah »

technosaurus wrote:Sounds like a great base for a browser only puplet... something I would like to get back to eventually - probably with Midori. I would try a fully static build but since flash is a necessity I would likely pull in the shared libs that flash 9 depends on and do the rest static. Figuring out required libraries is easy using ldd, but does anyone know how you find the other required files (images, fonts, config files etc..) short of parsing a strace output?
Run 'strings' on the binary? :? Lsof can help too.