Building an unleashed distro: unleashed, pupget, dotpup.

Booting, installing, newbie

Building an unleashed distro: unleashed, pupget, dotpup.

#1 Post by Guest »

The unleashed page says to use pupget packages, but another page on how to build pupget packages say they need to be converted to be unleashed packages?? Help?

The unleashed page says to download all the packages. I want to be a bit more canny than that. Is there anywhere that describes what all the packages are/do, and what the dependencies are?

Given that there is no building of binaries involved in building an unleashed distribution, is there any reason why I cannot build an unleashed distro ISO under, say, RedHat Linux? What about under Windows/Cygwin?

Is there an FAQ on building unleashed packages that includes questions like these?

papaschtroumpf

#2 Post by papaschtroumpf »

Ther are 3 kinds of packages:

- unleashed
- puget
- dotpup

unleashed and packages are almost identical ecept that unleashed are used when you create your own CD (you shoose your packages from within the ./createpuppy script) where as pugets are the same packages but available from installation after you have burned your CD, so they go in a slightly different place and can be removed later if you want using the pupget utility.

dodtpups are yet a different kind of packages that you can also install and remove at will but by clicking on the package itself (it uses a program called dotpup but that's more or less transparent to the user).

Hope this helps.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

JontomXire

#4 Post by JontomXire »

On the Puppy Unleashed page under step 4 it states:

The packages directory is empty, and you have to download all the files from the "pupget_packages-1"

This implies that pupget packages are unleashed packages. Just used differently maybe. Having two terms for what seems to be the same thing confused me, hence the post.

In answer to my other questions, here are the answers (that I found whilst looking at creating an unleashed distro).

The "packages.txt" under the puppy-unleashed contains brief descriptions and dependency information for each package. It is not always very precise. Some packages are said to depend on a category and the readmes state that if you have such a package, ALL the packages from the dependency category must be included. I cannot help but feel that this is not always true. Looking through the packages.txt file I found some apps that I have installed on my RH linux box that depend on a category. That category includes packages that I do NOT have installed on my RH Linux box. Hence the category dependency stuff is a gross generalisation.

The README.txt file in the puppy-unleashed directory states that when you build an unleashed distro, the kernel in use MUST be the same as the kernel you want in the distro. It doesn't say why, and in fact the unleashed core stuff includes both a 2.4 and a 2.6 kernel file.

I hope these answers help someone lelse in future.